Dirty little secrets...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
usmc1371

Post by usmc1371 »

I just ain't a big fan of the Chinook. I do like the plain old endura, G10 is fine with me and I don't care what color it is. Not a big fan of combo edge.

Would love to have a Tasman Salt with about another inch of blade, not for edc but I would love to have it on my boat.
Agent Starling

Post by Agent Starling »

The Yo was tough, but the forum was all a-buzz about it, I got one, and it's one of my all-time favorites.

Overall, the ATS is my least fave...for one thing, I don't like the swiss cheese look of too many holes...I can't stand holes in clothing either (unless it's a favorite pair of worn jeans, that's different)...also I have 2 Harpy's with C fiber covered with that polymer coating...I could never bond with those 2 Harpy's, though I, um, sort of have a thing for Harpies and other hawkbills otherwise... :rolleyes: :cool: :D ;)

Agent Starling
"Too many was too many, but way too many was just right."
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

A few Spyderco's simply did not fit my hand. I thought the RIL on the Volpe was too hard to use. I could hardly open the Chinook 1 with one hand but they changed the Spyderhole location on subsequent versions and the Chinook 3 works fine. I don't like the clip on the Lil Temp - very hard to pull it out of my front pocket with a wet hand due to the tightness of the clip and the handle design.

I've tried most of the models and have really had remarkably few complaints. I've not hated any of the models that I've had a chance to use.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
Slick

Post by Slick »

I am late here but I am amazed by the wide like/dislike spectrum.

We should have a poll with most liked models all the way down to most disliked models. Spyderco already has the sales info but it would be interesting to get a community wide vote with useful comments.

No, I did not read the entire thread.
Not really all that slick ;)
markg

Post by markg »

Oh, I just thought of one I did not like!!!

The Dyad. Any flavor or size.
Lockback

Post by Lockback »

markg wrote:Oh, I just thought of one I did not like!!!

The Dyad. Any flavor or size.
In JDSpydo's absence, I must rise to defend the Dyad's honor! :D

The full-size Dyad has it all: PE blade with a thin, splinter-picker tip; SE sheepsfoot blade to handle all the things the other blade can't. Nice black micarta handles to give it class.

I consider it one of the true Spyderco classics.
BDNX

Post by BDNX »

Well, the only one I can think of right off that I don't particularly care for....at least looks-wise, is the Rock Lobster. I just really don't like the looks of that one for some reason.
My Spydies: Sharpmaker • Tasman Salt • Saver Salt • Ladybug Hawkbill Salt • Salt 1 • Blue/Gray Meerkat • Burgundy Meerkat • Manix2 Ltwt Translucent Blue • Manix2 Ltwt Blacked Out • Manix2 Backlock • Ladybug 1 Red • Blue UKPK • Tusk • Blue Lava • Dog Tag • Bug • Honeybee • Grasshopper • Stepped Ti Chaparral • McBee • AEB-L Urban
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

I have yet to find any way to appreciate 50/50 edged blades. I have bought 2 used 50/50 Enduras and I always feel like they aren't as useful as a straight PE or SE (and I have and like both on various knives).
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!
Hillbillenigma

Post by Hillbillenigma »

WOW, lots of varying opinions but grea to see that respect is the order of the day and each person can share his/hers without reservation.

I have favorites for sure (Navigator, Co-Pilot, Manix II) and others that do not especially appeal to me but I appreciate their design (Captain, Khalsa) but the only Spyders that I can say that I truly dislike the Design of:

#1 .. Rock Lobster. I think Mr Anso is a talented Maker/Designer for sure but I personally do not find any appeal in his folders and as Spyderco elevates Function over Form I cannot understand why they chose to recreate the Rock Lobster.

#2 Barong. Again a knife that is unsuable but is just different in appearance. For the hard core collectors only.

#3 Chakwi?. Another attempt at appealing to the niche collector's group. Though I'm sure there is one person who will shout accolades for the design and extoll its many virtues 999 out of 1000 normal folks won't see it or use it.
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The Marines don't have that problem."
~ Ronald Reagan, 1985
KaliGman

Spydercos

Post by KaliGman »

Fuglee wrote:I can't like the Military or the Paramilitary at all. I've tried but they just don't do it for me.

Oh, and the Gunting. I loathe the Gunting.

*dodges rocks*
Don't worry about rocks. Worry about the fact that I am behind you right now, with a Gunting. Turn around and defend yourself you vile hurler of spurious insults! :p

I love the Gunting, find the ergos of the Lum Chinese to be very pleasant (I have just about worn the poor little lock out on my Green Chinese due to the various martial arts abuse I have heaped upon this little gent's folder), and love the Military (there is a CPM D2 example in my left front suit pocket as I type this). Oh--I happen to like foliage green ;) .

Of course, with as much variety as Spyderco produces, not everything is going to appeal to everyone. I hate orange G-10 (and orange in general). I have owned both the Kumo and the P'kal and did not like either one. The Kumo grip felt like plastic crap in my hand and the P'kal has horrible ergonomics for combative use, unless you plan on using it for reverse grip, edge in (for which it was designed). If that is the "one and only grip" for you, then the P'kal has good ergos. Since I find this one of the least used and least useful of the many grips I teach and practice, the P'kal is not for me.
"There is no weapon more deadly than the will." Bruce Lee

"The most pervasive and least condemned form of dishonesty is not doing the best you can." Colonel Jeff Cooper
Fred Sanford

Woohoo. Good thread!

Post by Fred Sanford »

Well here are mine...

• Love the Salt's but think the clips suck hardcore.
  • Everytime I get something in Foliage Green I think I will like it and I end up selling it because it makes me want to puke.
  • I think pink and purple colored knives suck. :)
  • One of the best knives ever made is the Delica III in SE period!
  • What is with all this orange? I'm not liking it. Black cars are always a solid choice, so are knife handles.
  • I love the Kiwi but I have never owned one. I must sell something and get one.
  • I want to like the Native but I just can't because the hole is covered too much by the handle.
  • I think the Spin is the most horrible ugly knife Spyderco has ever made.
  • For goodness sake, get rid of so many variations and bring back the Worker and the Calypso Jr.
  • I want to go on a date with a Bob Terzuola Starmate!
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
v8r

Post by v8r »

I handled a Lum chinese at a gun show this weekend,and while good looking, it felt terrible in my hand.Wanted one ,but not as much now. :(
V8R

Opinions are like belly buttons most people have one:p
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

1.) P'kal : I wish they just ditched the "killing design" and put the cool hawkbill/wharn blade on a normal handle without the goofy wave.

2.) "Q" & "S" : Form over Function. Kinda anti-Spyderco.

3.) Scorpius: ...Huh?
JT

Post by JT »

Dislikes:

-Combi-Edge
-Foilage Green
-no Left Hand clip opt.
-wireclips
The Cult Of The Curved Ones-C.O.T.C.O.
markg

Post by markg »

Lockback wrote:In JDSpydo's absence, I must rise to defend the Dyad's honor! :D

The full-size Dyad has it all: PE blade with a thin, splinter-picker tip; SE sheepsfoot blade to handle all the things the other blade can't. Nice black micarta handles to give it class.

I consider it one of the true Spyderco classics.
I knew that would be coming... :)
genius5th

hate

Post by genius5th »

the only spydercos i dislike are yojimbo because the blade tip is too pointy for me and reminds me of a box cutter
the d'allara because the handles are bluky and not pocket friendly
i thought id like the wegner but the liner lock is too weak and bends to the edge of the liner rather quickly
Peruna

Post by Peruna »

For me it is really simple, hawkbills and s-curves don't work for me. Bought the Tasman Salt, wanted to love it, but just could not get there. Got obscenely lucky on buying a Dodo for $50. When I received, I was like a kid at Christmas. But, it did not fit my hand and the s-curve did not work for me. Bought a Cricket and experienced the same thing. In the end, I sold the Tasman and Dodo. The Cricket sits in my desk and opens the mail. All are wonderfully designed knives that just did not work for me.

Now, I wish I saw more lime-green FRN. The Lime Jester on my keyring is my most used, most carried knife. I may carry different larger knives every day, but that little guy is always with me. Being a lovable shade of green he doesn;t scare the sheeple, either.
Fairlane

Post by Fairlane »

Considering the fact i own at least one version of every Spyderco folder ever made (Except the earliest dive knives), i really dislike very few. I have, however, never really warmed up to the Para-military. At all. I dislike the lock on a general basis, but it's completely hopeless for me on the para.
I never really liked the Spyker or the ATR or Salsa either, but it's not as bad as with the Para. Probably because a part of me really WANTED to like the Para. I could own all the Military's in the world and i would still be looking for more, but i cannot like the Para.
I do love way more Spyderco knives, though... That would've been a long list :P
Henning
Certified :spyder: addict

Help out at: http://www.spydiewiki.com for everyone's benefit!
hiredgun

Post by hiredgun »

Peruna wrote:Now, I wish I saw more lime-green FRN. The Lime Jester on my keyring is my most used, most carried knife. I may carry different larger knives every day, but that little guy is always with me. Being a lovable shade of green he doesn;t scare the sheeple, either.
YES! More lime green. I know this isn't FRN, but still one of my favorites knives...

You can't display a toad in a fine restaurant like this! Why, the good folks here would go right off the feed!
Getahl

Post by Getahl »

Being relatively new to the Spyderco game, I only own five of their knives. However, I do peruse their catalog and drool on a fairly regular basis. Some of my likes include my Pacific Salt and stainless Dragonfly. Very fun knives, and I love the ergos. I could dote on these, and drool over half a dozen others, but that's not the point of this post.

1. I can't say I really, truly hate any design that I've seen. I don't like the huge, "cut in half" profile of a closed Poliwog or Phoenix. They look funny to me.

2. I have a Ladybug, but it's too small to be of much use to me. Better to use a SAK Classic or Rambler.

3. G-10. I'm still straddling the fence on this one. I have a Black UKPK that I picked up about a month and a half ago, thinking it was the perfect combination of classic and modern folders. Impeccable fit and finish, locks up tight as a drum (so to speak), and fits my hand like a dream. Unfortunately, it's also my least carried slipjoint folder because of the G-10. It feels like the cast I had when I broke my arm at age 12. I'll be near Golden in about two weeks, so I'm thinking of stopping at SFO to try out a Millie. Maybe I'll change my mind hehe.

4. Foliage Green. It's been mentioned before, and maybe it's something I'll have to remember to look at when I'm in Colorado, but the pictures I feel online aren't foliage green. It's almost like a dark mint green. Maybe I'm think of a different shade, but the pics I've seen online don't look quite like the type of green I'd like on a knife (granted, I like brighter colors along with black, but still...)

5. Rock Lobster. I didn't like how it was designed, but the idea of a locking, quasi-sheepsfoot is appealing to me. I just hate the price, now. :) Think I might handle one in two weeks to see how I like it.

6. Last, but not least. I don't like the lack of micarta. I have a Vic One-handed Trekker with linen micarta slabs, but I think they look great! I just want some micarta lovin' :)
Current collection: Black PE Millie, Yellow SE Tasman, Black E4 PE FRN, Yeller Pacific Salt PE, SS Dragonfly PE, Orange FRN Ladybug, Black UKPK
Wishlist: Syderhawk Salt, non-green Rocklobster :)