Lum questions ?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
sixheads

Lum questions ?

Post by sixheads »

I went way out of my character and pre orderd a new lum from knife center. It will be the only knife i have ever bought without a choil or thum ramp. I have a few questions maybe you could help me out with?

Will the 600 pieces be numbered?

How does aluminum handles grip in the hand ? ( have only ever handeled an ss byrd robin in metal everything else i have is in frn or g-10)

Since i will use it and not colledt it is it a good edc?

I am very excited and this will be the most i have ever paid for a knife...

Sixheads
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Only the Collectors Club pieces will be numbered as Variants of the main model, not the entire run.

Depends on the coating used. Past models have been smooth anodized, which doesn't give the best traction.

If your hands are small enough, it is a great user. It needs to be about a half-inch longer to suit me.

Congratulations on your new aquisition!
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

sixheads wrote:Will the 600 pieces be numbered?
Probably not, unless you get a CC#d knife and that's unlikely at this point. The Moteng exclusive Calypso Jrs were not. There's also no guarantee there will only be 600 of them. 600 is a minimum batch size, but Moteng may have ordered a larger quantity.
sixheads wrote:I How does aluminum handles grip in the hand ? ( have only ever handeled an ss byrd robin in metal everything else i have is in frn or g-10)
The curved and tapered shape of the handle helps keep your hand in place. Aside from that, anodized aluminum is about the same as SS when it comes to grip.
sixheads wrote:I Since i will use it and not colledt it is it a good edc?
Depends on your likes and needs. To me, a reasonably thin, leaf shaped, full flat ground blade a little over 3" long, like the Lum Chinese Folder's, makes a good EDC, although I tend to prefer a bit more length.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
LorenzoL

Post by LorenzoL »

I think the Lum Chinese should be considered a mid-size gentleman's folder and should be judged accordingly. It is very inconspicuous in the pocket because it is very slim, and it has a terrific blade for slicing. True, it lacks a thumb ramp and a choil and the scales are not grippy, but for small cutting chores it is very good.
And it's design makes it a piece of art.
araneae

Post by araneae »

Congrats. I will continue to hold out for a non-aluminum Lum. I find the design appealing, but I prefer FRN or G-10 over any metal handle.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
sixheads

Post by sixheads »

Anyone know were i can see comparison pics i have serched the site but cant find any. Looking for pics of it with and beside other knives. I would like to see lum caly 3 comparison pic.

Sixheads
sixheads

Post by sixheads »

araneae wrote:Congrats. I will continue to hold out for a non-aluminum Lum. I find the design appealing, but I prefer FRN or G-10 over any metal handle.
I also am not big on the aluminum but i am going to try and be open mined. An FRN handeled one would be SWEEET.

I like 3 inch, flat grind, leaf shapes , I wanted somthing different for afterwork and weekend carry than my Caly3 and Sage And it sure is pretty.

Sixheads
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Sage, Delica IV, Lum, Caly III, Stretch II...

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
Paul
sixheads

Post by sixheads »

Thanks Deacon its exactly what i was lookin for. I hope he handle is dark green like yours.

Sixheads
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

sixheads wrote:Thanks Deacon its exactly what i was lookin for. I hope he handle is dark green like yours.

Sixheads
That I can't say for sure, but in the picture I saw it looked lighter more like foliage green. Mine is one of the original green Lums.
Paul
LorenzoL

Post by LorenzoL »

sixheads wrote:Thanks Deacon its exactly what i was lookin for. I hope he handle is dark green like yours.

Sixheads
I think it is more like a blue-green.
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

An elegant knife for sure, but not a hard use knife. The handles are not bad but of course no textured G10 for sure. Very thin, very light, easy to disapear in your pocket. I especially like the leaf blade with it's down turn. Nice knife!
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
mrappraisit

Post by mrappraisit »

The Lum CF is a very, very nice folder. I liked that when the blade is deployed the entire line of the knife is like a gentle arc, even though it doesn't have a thumb ramp or choil it I didn't feel like my hand was sliding forward.

I'm sure someone will bust on me for saying this, but I would not pick it for hard cutting tasks because of what I felt was a real lack of grip. I loved everything about my Green PE Lum except for the almite, which was too smooth for my tastes.

I also think that it could stand to be a little bigger like Yab said. It would be nice to see a larger version like Mr. Lum used to create for custom orders, but I doubt anyone other than some afi's would really pay for all that steel.

That being said when they make the current size in G-10 or even a micarta that I can "rough up" I will buy one with no hesitation.
After enlightenment, the laundry.
sixheads

Post by sixheads »

HI ,

Thanks for all of the answers,

I have one more question ,

Can you flick the knife open easy , should i have the guys at knife center tighten the pivot before they send it to me in Canada ?
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

It would certainly not be a bad idea. On a "flickability" scale of 1 to 10, with 10 being an out-an-out gravity knife, I'd rate the Lum at around a 7. I do not have any of the Moteng ones, but I do have one each of the original green, blue, and black ZDP ones and can flick all of them open to full battery with just the motion of my lower arm and wrist while holding the knife by the handle.
Paul
LBNoble

Post by LBNoble »

I always wanted a Lum Chinese folder, but never got around to getting one, when they were available (& I'm not so obsessive, that I would pay big bucks to get a discontinued knife (not yet, anyway)). How would you compare the Lum to Ed Schempp's Barong? I got this, because the shape was vaguely reminescent of the Lum, nice curvy lines, & I've been very happy with this knife & its design. Do I really need to get a Lum still?, not quite sure about the blue Almite handle...
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

The Lum Chinese Folders are lightweights. They weigh 2.6'ish ounces and have just enough handle to hide a slightly over 3" FFG leaf. It's a 4-finger grip but a lighter duty one in my experience.

The Barong has a similar "ethnic" look but is certainly a different animal all-together. The handle itself is ready for white-knuckle work let alone the massive leaf. Throw in a Krein job and it's almost a true 4" cutting surface! :eek:

One is a gentleman almite folder/leaf shaped razor and one is a G-10, steel lined, ethnic user that's quite a bit more tactical/HD.

Either one would fit in the office or the field...but they would definitely prefer their customary roles. :)

PS: I can't speak from a user perceptive for the Barong as it's slightly longer than legal carry for my state, but I'm a big fan of it regardless. If we had a "under 4 inch" rule it would be lifelong EDC most likely.

The Lum is the sharpest knife I own and has caused me to fall in love with ZDP. I'm starting to think "sharp" is a phrase for people who haven't used a ZDP-189 blade with a good edge before. I am also very sure that people who have the VG-10 version still have a serious cutter though because of the profile/design of the knife. It sure isn't a saber grind. :D
sixheads

Post by sixheads »

The Deacon wrote:It would certainly not be a bad idea. On a "flickability" scale of 1 to 10, with 10 being an out-an-out gravity knife, I'd rate the Lum at around a 7. I do not have any of the Moteng ones, but I do have one each of the original green, blue, and black ZDP ones and can flick all of them open to full battery with just the motion of my lower arm and wrist while holding the knife by the handle.
Thanks Deacon i have emailed them and asked them to tighten it for me.

When i get it how do i know if it is still to much (tight) or too loose ?

Just try it and feel it?

Sixheads
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Adjust it to suit you. I like them a little tight, myself. Having seen the long-tem effects of inertia opening, I try to avoid it as much as possible.
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
aero_student

Post by aero_student »

I'm looking around for them and the sites I know don't have them in stock. Can anyone give me a little help finding these? My old green ones, blue one, and black one need company. This is one of the most elegant and understated knives spyderco has ever produced.