Possible UKPK Fake

A place to list and reference all Spyderco counterfeits, clones, and replicas that are found. Anything that isn't a legitimate Spyderco fits in this area.
PSU

Possible UKPK Fake

Post by PSU »

This ebay auction offers what appears to be a fake UKPK since it lacks the option for LH carry. Watch out, I've seen several of these on the 'Bay.
Attachments
ukpk ebay possible fake.JPG
ukpk ebay possible fake.JPG (39.38 KiB) Viewed 6096 times
People say, oh it's dangerous to keep weapons in the home, or the workplace. Well I say, it's better to be hurt by someone you know, accidentally, than by a stranger, on purpose. - Dwight The Office

It's okay for me to talk about my job, as long as I'm not specific. I am the Sergeant of a three-man Rapid Tactical Force at one of America's largest indoor retail shopping areas. - Gecko_45

The more you learn about knives, the better Spyderco looks. - Sal
LorenzoL

Post by LorenzoL »

Sold for 46$. I don't know if it is a fake but it looks far from new as the seller advertised.

Post by 224477 »

Based on the picture, I would say its a fake too.
"Having a dull knife is like having a stupid friend."
Shenmue728

Post by Shenmue728 »

holy sh!t i almost bid on that one on a whim because it was closing so cheap. i would have never known it was fake til it was too late. would have ssent it to tom krein too :(
[CENTER]:spyder::spyder:Spyderco C.O.T.C.O.:spyder::spyder:[/CENTER]
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

The screws on the UKPK in the picture above look wrong.
aebfroman

Post by aebfroman »

Its a fake. I've made the mistake of buying one >.< but at least the guy let me return.

One thing to note on the fake ones that stands out to me is the strange hazy looking area just above the bevel. The knife looks close to real but the quality is sheeeyit. Blade is made of, what appears to be, melted down beer cans and the blade contacts the back spacer when you close the knife. The spine wasn't even ground flat...

aavvooiidd
LorenzoL

Post by LorenzoL »

aebfroman wrote:Its a fake. I've made the mistake of buying one >.< but at least the guy let me return.

One thing to note on the fake ones that stands out to me is the strange hazy looking area just above the bevel. The knife looks close to real but the quality is sheeeyit. Blade is made of, what appears to be, melted down beer cans and the blade contacts the back spacer when you close the knife. The spine wasn't even ground flat...

aavvooiidd
Nice guy, he let you return yours and now he screwed somebody else. Maybe time for Kristi to warn eBay about that seller...
aebfroman

Post by aebfroman »

Nah, its a different seller. The guy I got mine from was class act when I told him it was a fyderco, told me to send it back without hesitation. He said he got it at a gun show and didn't have any reason to believe it was a knock off.
LorenzoL

Post by LorenzoL »

The same seller posted two Enduras, they look fake to me, especially the second one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/spyderco-endura-vg7 ... 0321298801
http://cgi.ebay.com/spyderco-large-serr ... 0321301774

The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Not the first time he's sold a fake UKPK either, checked through his feedback...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0315606778

Have to wonder if the buyer has figured it out yet.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
aebfroman

Post by aebfroman »

The Deacon wrote:Not the first time he's sold a fake UKPK either
How can you tell? The history is cut short past 90 days. There is only the one linked by the OP.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

aebfroman wrote:How can you tell? The history is cut short past 90 days. There is only the one linked by the OP.
Did you click on the link I posted? Same pic, but different auction number and end date, May 23 vs June 15 for the one the OP posted. :D
Paul
aebfroman

Post by aebfroman »

Oh, they looked just alike, saw the link and thought it was the same one.

/doh
SimpleIsGood229

Post by SimpleIsGood229 »

LorenzoL wrote:The same seller posted two Enduras, they look fake to me, especially the second one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/spyderco-endura-vg7 ... 0321298801
http://cgi.ebay.com/spyderco-large-serr ... 0321301774

Those Enduras look perfectly legit to me. What looks "off" about them to you?
God Bless Texas!
[RIGHT]Avatar courtesy of Dialex[/RIGHT]
Μολὼν λαβέ

2009 - Birth of the H-1 Spyderhawk! Thank you, Sal!
Murdoc

Post by Murdoc »

SimpleIsGood229 wrote:Those Enduras look perfectly legit to me. What looks "off" about them to you?

Maybe the volcano pattern on the Gen1 Endura...

Dennis
MountainManJim

Post by MountainManJim »

I too was going to bid on this one, but decided it was far from new. I'm glad I didn't, but wow we really need to be careful to review every knife.

So, what is everyone yard stick for judging a knife and determining if it's a fake? I was thinking of opening up Spyderco catalog website and comparing. With this I can go through the knife point by point.

Jim
I Like Sharp Things

Current Favorite: Caly 3.5, Super Blue. We're done here. It doesn't get better than the Caly 3.5
gtrtech

Post by gtrtech »

Being new to accumulating Spydercos with all the knocks offs floating around I'm checking Spyderco's website , here and http://www.spydie.nl/
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

MountainManJim wrote:I too was going to bid on this one, but decided it was far from new. I'm glad I didn't, but wow we really need to be careful to review every knife.

So, what is everyone yard stick for judging a knife and determining if it's a fake? I was thinking of opening up Spyderco catalog website and comparing. With this I can go through the knife point by point.

Jim
Jim, as of the moment, the UKPK is the only total "clone" out there. It copies not only the design, but the markings of the original. Everything else either copies a design, but is marked in a way that should "give it away" to anyone with even minimal knowledgeable of Spyderco knives (like the NAVY marked Lil Temp knockoff) or copies some Spyderco design elements, but in a "model" Spyderco never produced (like that "damascus" bladed Native/Native III mash-up and the oversize Rookie/undersized Police), or slaps Spyderco's name and logos on a knife which is obviously not a Spyderco (like that "thing" with the thumb stud and the rear mounted Wischard snap).

Unfortunately, the catalogs and the website are not always the best indicators as the illustrations shown there are not always accurate representations of the production version. In addition, minor (and sometimes even not so minor) changes to production models will cause discrepancies between genuine Spyderco knives and the illustrations (for example, the latest batch of CF Stretch II's has fine jimping on the thumb ramp).

Checking this sub-forum for "known fakes" may be more helpful. Perhaps, in the future, a "rogues gallery" will list sellers (eBay and otherwise) known to deal in fakes. Checking the Picture Gallery and spydiewiki for photos of the model may also help. Another obvious safety measure is to avoid greed, deals that sound too good to be true very often are. In reality, the only truly safe course of action anymore is to deal only with reputable dealers and individuals you know and trust because the next clone may not have a flaw that's visible in photographs.

The alternative is to roll the dice. You may either get the deal of a lifetime that way, but you may also get screwed.
Paul
amen74

Post by amen74 »

That UKPK almost had me fooled! :eek: These dayum fools won't stop for nothing.
Aaron

Current EDCs: Golden models
:spyder: FG D2 Military:cool: Orange UKPK:spyder:

NEXT: Rock Lobster, Manix2, TiMil
Peruna

Post by Peruna »

Be careful, people, this guy has listed yet another fake UKPK, using the same picture as before.

http://cgi.ebay.com/spyderco-slip-joint ... tsupported