Any 80's music fans out there?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
biagrin

Post by biagrin »

Back then I listened to Alan Parsons Project, Rush, The Tubes, Pink Floyd and Hair Metal...but since then I have come to enjoy songs that I wouldn't have been caught dead listening to before. Like a-ha, Kajagoogoo, Men without Hats, Vapors, Madness, and Asia. Actually, I think that MTV showed those videos so much when they started, that the music is permanently ingrained in my brain. :eek:
Agent Starling

Post by Agent Starling »

musically, not my favourite decade overall, except for G n' R, Motley Crue and a few others...as well as of course those from previous decades that continued to release new releases....McCartney, Lennon, ELO...really didn't enjoy the fake-synth sounds of the then-new digital synthesizers that permeated most pop and goth rock...like the Yamaha DX-7...) :D

Agent Starling
"Too many was too many, but way too many was just right."
MANIXWORLD

Post by MANIXWORLD »

Agent Starling wrote:musically, not my favourite decade overall, except for G n' R, Motley Crue and a few others...as well as of course those from previous decades that continued to release new releases....McCartney, Lennon, ELO...really didn't enjoy the fake-synth sounds of the then-new digital synthesizers that permeated most pop and goth rock...like the Yamaha DX-7...) :D

Agent Starling
Makes me want to dance like Mr.Roboto...lol.
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

MANIXWORLD wrote:Makes me want to dance like Mr.Roboto...lol.
Ah, yes, Styx... how soon we forget. I also noted Dire Straits mentioned earlier... again, how soon we forget.

I don't recall Heart or Olivia Newton-John being mentioned in the listings above. Both classics!

This was back in the days when MTV was fun to watch and we stayed up late on a Saturday night to see the Solid Gold Dancers. :)
gac

Post by gac »

Bluntrauma wrote:The same way I had seen Queen in concert 4 times by the time I knew Freddie Mercury was gay. *shrug* :eek: :D
Don't forget Halford from Judas Priest. Or Pete Townshend's solo work in the '80s.

Did no one mention The Smiths?
Lord vader

Post by Lord vader »

Here`s a good place to find songs from the 50s,60s,70s,and 80s.http://www.onehitwondercentral.com/80s.cfm
java
Location: Rosamond - Tropical Paradise without the tropics.....(or the paradise)

Post by java »

The Rolling Stones, Michael Jackson,.38 Special, Fleetwood Mac, Molly Hatchet, Devo, Nazareth, Motörhead, Rainbow, Rush, Judas Priest, 'til Tuesday, Quarterflash, Scorpians, Poison, D-A-D, Clapton, Great White, Pablo Cruise...where does it end????

Some standout(?) One hits:
Romeo Void ~ Never Say Never (I Might Like You Better If I Slept With You)
Wall of Voodoo ~ Mexican Radio
The Buggles ~ Video Killed the Radio Star
Planet P ~ Why Me??
The Vapors ~ Turning Japanese
The Firm (with Paul Rogers & Jimmy Page) ~ Radioactive
Nena ~ 99 Luftballoons
Cutting Crew ~ Died In Your Arms
Thomas Dolby ~ She Blinded Me with Science

Again, where does it end?

And a band that has had a great impact on several others (Tool, Nirvana, and Iron Maiden to name a few) that released 3 albums in the 80s without a single hit.....or for that matter have never had a "hit" but produced some incredibly layered and innovative music - King Crimson. Larks Tongues in Aspic and In the Court of the Crimson King are both in Robert Dimery's musical reference book 1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die.

:D
j
When I said that mercy stood
Within the border of the wood
I meant the lenient beast with claws
And bloody swift dispatching jaws.

Death Before Decaf!
!
:spyder:
GG

Post by GG »

I think there's a REASON we forgot the 80's - It was a musical mess IMHO. The big late '60's to '70's bands - Pink Floyd, Led Zep, King Crimson, ELP, etc. were on the their way out - only to be replaced by the likes of Styx, Journey, and Asia, etc. Ouch! If it wasn't for a few innovative groups LIKE Dire Straits, The Residents, NIN, and Van Halen the 80's scene would be totally forgettable. And, I hate to tell java, but King Crimson's finest stuff wasn't 80's - Larks Tongues in Aspic was 1973 and In the Court of the Crimson King was 1969. Robert Fripp was, and is, one of the most incredible musical geniuses - both as a guitarist, and producer, most folks have never heard of. Give him a listen.
gg

PS - At least during the 80's MTV played MUSIC videos....
Water Bug wrote:Ah, yes, Styx... how soon we forget. I also noted Dire Straits mentioned earlier... again, how soon we forget.
MANIXWORLD

Post by MANIXWORLD »

I might just add that i am a huge NIN fan..ther/Trent Reznor'is an iconic figure for alot of the Electronic type music of the 80's and after..Pretty Hate Machine...
java
Location: Rosamond - Tropical Paradise without the tropics.....(or the paradise)

Post by java »

GG wrote:I think there's a REASON we forgot the 80's - It was a musical mess IMHO. The big late '60's to '70's bands - Pink Floyd, Led Zep, King Crimson, ELP, etc. were on the their way out - only to be replaced by the likes of Styx, Journey, and Asia, etc. Ouch! If it wasn't for a few innovative groups LIKE Dire Straits, The Residents, NIN, and Van Halen the 80's scene would be totally forgettable. And, I hate to tell java, but King Crimson's finest stuff wasn't 80's - Larks Tongues in Aspic was 1973 and In the Court of the Crimson King was 1969. Robert Fripp was, and is, one of the most incredible musical geniuses - both as a guitarist, and producer, most folks have never heard of. Give him a listen.
gg

PS - At least during the 80's MTV played MUSIC videos....
Ah, young Spydie, it is wrong to assume one can know the mind of java. In his post, the most caffeinated one referenced not which recordings the revered Red Rex released in the 1980s. The dark one, having most all of Mr Fripp’s works himself, merely expressed his desire to have our humble audience aurally anointed with his more artistic accomplishments. Discipline (September, 1981) and Three of a Perfect Pair (March, 1984) alone contain at least one-third of the songs you will find on almost any anthology collection or live album released aft 1985.

I’m also glad you brought up ELP as a big 60/70s band since Greg Lake was the bassist and lead vocalist for most of the great tracks off of Court of the Crimson King. He left the band in early 1970 after being approached by Keith Emerson to join what would become Emerson, Lake and Palmer. Emerson, Lake and Palmer, Tarkus, and Brain Salad Surgery were all released in the early to mid 70s. ELP made one more studio album in 1978 and then disbanded. ELP reformed in 1985, as Emerson, Lake and Powell with heavy metal drummer Cozy Powell (Jeff Beck, Rainbow, Michael Schenker group, Whitesnake, Black Sabbath, and Gary Moore) taking Carl Palmer’s place. Palmer rejoined the band in 1992 for two studio releases and tours. By 2001 the band had dissolved once again and rumors of reunion tours persist to this day.

But Pink Floyd on the way out!?! :eek: The Wall was released in December 1979 so it may as well have been an eighties album. It was followed by the film adaptation of The Wall (1982) and The Final Cut in 1983. When Roger Waters left in 1985, David Gilmour took the band in a new direction with A Momentary Lapse of Reason (1987) and the DVD/CD set from that tour - The Delicate Sound of Thunder (1989) Maybe not as productive or to some persons’ taste – but not out. Complaints of not sounding like the “old” Pink Floyd led to 1994’s The Division Bell (which others then complained, "It sounds too much like the “old” Pink Floyd:rolleyes :) and one of my favorite live CD and DVD performances – Pulse - in 1995. I keep hoping for another reunion and album release (and tour!!!! :D )

To say that the 80s was a musical mess might be a wee bit disingenuous, but I believe it’s mostly because we seem to be restricting ourselves to mostly rock here. However, the 80s were a great time for the Blues, New Age, Jazz, Techno, Country and other genres as well.

Vangelis had some of his best works scoring the soundtracks for Chariots of Fire and Blade Runner. Tangerine Dream (also best or most definitive work in the 70s) was busy as all get out scoring movies and kicking out albums (they have somewhere upwards of 100 albums to date) Stevie Ray Vaughan was at his peak releasing Texas Flood, Couldn’t Stand the Weather, Soul to Soul, In Step, and Live Alive! all in the 80s. Jazz had tremendous growth with the likes of Kenny G (first five albums from the 80s), The Rippingtons, Wynton Marsalis, and the Yellowjackets all pretty much debuting in the Eighties. Stalwarts like Bob James, Lee Ritenour, and Dave Gruisin were also producing some of their best works. Relatively young New Age music with its roots tied in with Robert Fripp (once again:cool :) , Brian Eno, Edgar Froese (Tangerine Dream) and Mike Oldfield (Tubular Bells) saw the first releases by Andreas Vollenweider, Susan Cianni, and Enya.

Wow! That’s a lot of info…. Time to shut up and move on :o . But not before I mention Billy Joel released 5 studio albums (Glass Houses, Songs in the Attic, Strom Front, An Innocent Man, The Bridge); a compellation (Greatest Hits: Vol 1 and 2) and a live album (Концерт) in the 80s.

java respectfully submit to all Spydie everywhere - "Good innovative music and can be found any time....there exist limitless opportunities in every genre. Where there is an open mind, there will always be a frontier."

:)
j
When I said that mercy stood
Within the border of the wood
I meant the lenient beast with claws
And bloody swift dispatching jaws.

Death Before Decaf!
!
KBR

Post by KBR »

On a daily basis, I listen to 80's music on my Sirius satellite radio. :cool: Some of the 'so-called music' nowadays just doesn't cut for me.
"A man who is of sound mind is one who keeps the inner madman under lock and key."--- Paul Valery

Survive, Adapt, and Overcome...
type00rev

Post by type00rev »

Water Bug wrote:Ah, yes, Styx... how soon we forget. I also noted Dire Straits mentioned earlier... again, how soon we forget.

I don't recall Heart or Olivia Newton-John being mentioned in the listings above. Both classics!

This was back in the days when MTV was fun to watch and we stayed up late on a Saturday night to see the Solid Gold Dancers. :)
Let's not forget the original "Headbangers Ball".
:spyder:Harpy SS| :spyder:S90VCF Millie| :spyder:C36GPBK Millie| :spyder:C51GPFG Rookie| :spyder:C122GP Tenacious| :spyder:MT02 CPM-M4 x2| :spyder:MT03 CPM-S90V| :spyder:C81FG Para| :spyder:C81GSBK Para| :spyder:C95GPFG Manix #044V

Schoolboy Samurai||