Why no Black G10 Delica 4?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
spyderHS08

Why no Black G10 Delica 4?

Post by spyderHS08 »

my question is obviously in the title,
Seeing that the delica and endura are some of the most popular spydercos and most sold. I wonder why this model is offered in g10 but not black g10 like most of the other g10 models that are around? Any explanations about this or if the d4 and e4 will be ever offered in a black g10? I know I would be down for FFG blade and a black g10 handle with the size shape and blade of a delica :cool:

Thanks to all who reply!
39 & counting...
:spyder: E3, Para mili, Salt 1 PE, Native, D3 OD, Ladybug, UKPK, Dodo, D4, Tasman, Ladybug Salt, Smallfly, Khukuri, Para Military, USN E4, Persistence, Civilian, Yojimbo, Smallfly, Manix 2 CE, Dodo, Military, D4 , Blackhawk, Pac Salt, Military, Manix 2, Captain, Assist, D'fly PE, Spyderhawk SE, Persian, Lum tanto, Warrior, Lil Temp, Tuff, spyderfly, szabofly, :spyder:

Dodo!
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

I think because Spyderco must have bought about 35 metric tons of foliage green G10. I think they pretty much have to get rid of it some how.
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
StangBang

Post by StangBang »

i guess since we talk about it all the time its about time one of us started a thread about it lol
idk man i love my g10 foliage green delica but i agree I would be very drawn to a black g10 delica. Kind of doesn't make sense, since black is a common color for knife handles anyways, and you know they have plenty of it.
Vic
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

I myself would welcome such a knife. I know there are those who will say they have had enough black handled knives, and there are those who have had their fill of foliage green as well. I fall under the latter. I believe there is a wide enough assortment of different knives with foliage green and would be happy if they went back to black.
Domanfp

Post by Domanfp »

David Lowry wrote:I think because Spyderco must have bought about 35 metric tons of foliage green G10. I think they pretty much have to get rid of it some how.
I heard it was 76 tons?
-Frank

Delica and Endura are great knives! They're the low priced crack samples that'll get you hooked on spyderco! Feed the need!
-Michael Cook
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I think it looks great with the silver pins, etc. on my Delica - seriously great, and why's everyone so against a not-so-threatening color, especially in these unsure times? I wonder if, long ago, foliage green and black were switched and FG was the norm, people'd be dissin' the black... just wonderin'. :)

- best wishes, Jazz.
StangBang

Post by StangBang »

im not gonna diss on foliage green i love my FG g10 delica :) it rocks! I like it enough that im considering the g10 foliage green endura as well! But I too just think the black would look good and sell good, so why not?
Vic
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Jazz wrote:I think it looks great with the silver pins, etc. on my Delica - seriously great, and why's everyone so against a not-so-threatening color, especially in these unsure times? I wonder if, long ago, foliage green and black were switched and FG was the norm, people'd be dissin' the black... just wonderin'. :)

- best wishes, Jazz.
Can you explain to me how foliage green custom matched to military specs is less threatening than basic black? Is it because soldiers are less threatening than ninjas? If you want "less threatening", let's go with smurf blue, blaze orange and canary yellow.

Yes, I know Spyderco had the foliage green and digicamo G-10 made to aid our troops, and I applaude that, but neither of them does a thing for me. I'm way too old to play soldier, and I've lost enough knives over the years without buying them in camoflage to make it even easier.
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
spyderHS08

Post by spyderHS08 »

Jazz wrote:I think it looks great with the silver pins, etc. on my Delica - seriously great, and why's everyone so against a not-so-threatening color, especially in these unsure times? I wonder if, long ago, foliage green and black were switched and FG was the norm, people'd be dissin' the black... just wonderin'. :)

- best wishes, Jazz.
Ya man no one here is dissing that foliage green. My buddies got a d4 and its sweet and I just ordered a khukuri, so im down for the color for sure! I just was curious why there is not a black model available..you know? I like a :spyder: watever color it is though!! :cool: :D
39 & counting...
:spyder: E3, Para mili, Salt 1 PE, Native, D3 OD, Ladybug, UKPK, Dodo, D4, Tasman, Ladybug Salt, Smallfly, Khukuri, Para Military, USN E4, Persistence, Civilian, Yojimbo, Smallfly, Manix 2 CE, Dodo, Military, D4 , Blackhawk, Pac Salt, Military, Manix 2, Captain, Assist, D'fly PE, Spyderhawk SE, Persian, Lum tanto, Warrior, Lil Temp, Tuff, spyderfly, szabofly, :spyder:

Dodo!
Stevie Ray

Post by Stevie Ray »

spyderHS08 wrote:my question is obviously in the title,
Seeing that the delica and endura are some of the most popular spydercos and most sold. I wonder why this model is offered in g10 but not black g10 like most of the other g10 models that are around? Any explanations about this or if the d4 and e4 will be ever offered in a black g10? I know I would be down for FFG blade and a black g10 handle with the size shape and blade of a delica :cool:

Thanks to all who reply!
Likely just too many great Spydie choices out there already. When Spyderco produced the black G10 Standard which was very close to the Delica in size and shape, to my recollection, it wasn't a huge seller.
Steve
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Possible reasons might include.

-- Dealer feedback/complaints about there being too many Delica variants already.

-- Fear that having two colors would, for the most part, just divert sales from one to the other.

-- G-10 version being created for the "afi" communtity which begs something other than black, then gripes about Spyderco's color choice.

-- The previously mentioned 32,000 square foot ;) stockpile of FG G-10

-- The sure and certain knowledge that, within three days of it's announcement, someone will post here wanting to know why it's not a different grind or yet another different color or waved, or why it doesn't have a black blade or a wire clip, or why it's not available in serrated or combo edge, or why it had to be G-10 again and not peel-ply CF.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
BDNX

Post by BDNX »

Yeah, I never got why black is supposedly a more threatening color?
My Spydies: Sharpmaker • Tasman Salt • Saver Salt • Ladybug Hawkbill Salt • Salt 1 • Blue/Gray Meerkat • Burgundy Meerkat • Manix2 Ltwt Translucent Blue • Manix2 Ltwt Blacked Out • Manix2 Backlock • Ladybug 1 Red • Blue UKPK • Tusk • Blue Lava • Dog Tag • Bug • Honeybee • Grasshopper • Stepped Ti Chaparral • McBee • AEB-L Urban
amen74

Post by amen74 »

I'm in for a Smurf blue G10 Delica. Or Canary yellow, blaze orange, or fire engine red. :p
Aaron

Current EDCs: Golden models
:spyder: FG D2 Military:cool: Orange UKPK:spyder:

NEXT: Rock Lobster, Manix2, TiMil
spyderHS08

Post by spyderHS08 »

amen74 wrote:I'm in for a Smurf blue G10 Delica. Or Canary yellow, blaze orange, or fire engine red. :p
+1,000 For orange. Honestly I would never need to buy another spyderco...I think thats why they wont do it! :D
39 & counting...

Dodo!
Sword of Morning

Post by Sword of Morning »

yablanowitz wrote:Can you explain to me how foliage green custom matched to military specs is less threatening than basic black?
To me, foliage green is very neutral. Not very threatening. If it was OD green, that would be downright menacing. :D
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I never found black particularly threatening either. It also doesn't show dirt, tar, grease and floor tile adhesive nearly as bad as FG. I just find it interesting that people perceive MilSpec color-blend foliage green as less weapon-like than coal/tar black.
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
StangBang

Post by StangBang »

spyderHS08 wrote:+1,000 For orange. Honestly I would never need to buy another spyderco...I think thats why they wont do it! :D
Exactly!!!!! lol
Vic