Knife window shopping, S. Oregon

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
oregon

Knife window shopping, S. Oregon

Post by oregon »

I handled a 50/50 black micarta C-18 Goddard Junior in a Medford pawnshop this morning. It was dirty but the blade looked to be unsharpened and unscathed. If it had ever cut anything it wasn't obvious by the naked eye. It looked like it had been carried lightly due to small scuffs on the micarta and the clip. They were asking $175 it turned out. I hadn't seen the "1" in front of the 75 before it was brought out of the glass case. The only spyderco there. Nice to see one. The prop. gave the OK when I wanted to take a photo but I'd left my camera back at the ranch...

Sportsmen's Warehouse has the "S" C109BKP on clearance for $50. Do all of the Almite handles have a weak point on the clip side next to the release? It was a little thin just there and no where else. MIM... metal injection moulding. Interesting and oh so light weight. Barely looks like a knife.

No real "old-school" terrific cutlery shops here that I can find. Any ones that I missed? Thank you.

oregon
Lord vader

Post by Lord vader »

Sorry I don`t have a clue as to the value of the one your looking at. There is a local pawn shop here that has a Spydreco D`Allara in his display and the price tag on that is $150.00 I don`t know if thats too much or not.I wanted to do some checking on this one before i bought it.
oregon

Post by oregon »

Lord vader wrote:There is a local pawn shop here that has a Spydreco D`Allara in his display and the price tag on that is $150.00 I don`t know if thats too much or not.I wanted to do some checking on this one before i bought it.
The msrp on the drop point Spydreco D`Allara is $90. Less than $50 for a used one would be in my ballpark. I've not had the pleasure of the owning a ball-lock Spyderco. That needs remedying.

oregon
oregon

Post by oregon »

I noticed that KnifeCenter has both models of the "S" on special, $40, beats Sportsemen's wharehouse. The silver one calls out to me.

oregon
oregon

Post by oregon »

KnifeCenter has the silver "S" on backorder per email...
spyderwa

Post by spyderwa »

Most pawn shops start with incredibly high prices in the hope that some uninformed person will buy the item. Most shops are negotiable but as always it pays to do your research. Keep in mind that the amount they pay the original owner is pennies on the dollar. Pawn shops can occasionally have an interesting knife but have not proved very fruitful in my Spyderco collecting career.

spyderwa

Rare Spyderco Page
http://www.angelfire.com/trek/spyderwa
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

CE is the most common configuration for the Goddard Jr. Mint specimens, with boxes, routinely sell for $110 to $125 on eBay, so that one is definitely overpriced. In the condition you describe, $75 sounds a lot closer to "fair market value" than $175.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
oregon

Post by oregon »

spyderwa wrote:Most pawn shops start with incredibly high prices in the hope that some uninformed person will buy the item. Most shops are negotiable but as always it pays to do your research. Keep in mind that the amount they pay the original owner is pennies on the dollar. Pawn shops can occasionally have an interesting knife but have not proved very fruitful in my Spyderco collecting career.

spyderwa

Rare Spyderco Page
http://www.angelfire.com/trek/spyderwa
Thank you kindly for the advice spyderwa.

I was going to do pictorial of pawn shop Spyderco finds for the forum but neglected to bring my camera with me. Next time for sure.

oregon
oregon

Post by oregon »

The Deacon wrote:CE is the most common configuration for the Goddard Jr. Mint specimens, with boxes, routinely sell for $110 to $125 on eBay, so that one is definitely overpriced. In the condition you describe, $75 sounds a lot closer to "fair market value" than $175.
Thank you kindly Deacon.

It was fun for me to lay hands on an early collaboration Goddard, 1992-1998 for this model I believe. Knives are kinda like time machines, a glimpse into the past.

I hold my grandfathers's or father's hunting knife and it takes me back to their days for a moment.

I had the idea, in the back of my mind, that I might just happen upon a rare user at a bargain price. A Boguszewski Spike for example. Maybe that will happen on my next visit to a pawn shop.

oregon
oregon

Post by oregon »

KnifeCenter shipped the Spyderco "S" silver. Yes!

Now if they just carried the Spyderco SpyderHawk... New Old Stock would be fine or a new permutation if we are all lucky. :)

oregon