Trying to figure out the fascination with the DoDo

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
guitarguy

Post by guitarguy »

i say go for it. dodos are great little blades and theyre getting harder and harder to find. i would buy it if i had the chance. 100 bucks new is a steal. ive seen them go for more than that used on ebay.
looking for ronins and yojimbos
JspyEDC

Post by JspyEDC »

I have unfortunately sold both Dodo's I have managed to pick up in the last couple of years. Not because I didn't love the knife, but because I am anticipating a future Sprint Run. My bad. In the meantime though, the G-10 Poliwog is the first knife that feels like a Dodo in the hand, so that will have to get me through till that inevitable Sprint.
Spyderco Collector #162
bh49

Post by bh49 »

So, did you buy yet?
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
TexSierra

Post by TexSierra »

No, not yet. I live in Sacramento and work in San Jose (2 hours plus drive). I don't go home during the week. I will pick it up this weekend.
MCM

Post by MCM »

"Trying to figure out the fascination with the DoDo"
Me too!

What is it with this one that makes it so handy, and deadly at the same time?
:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......
TexSierra

Post by TexSierra »

Ok ok, I get it. I finally get it. I see why the Dodo is so loved. While the knife isnt the most comfortable to hold, you get use to it after 30 seconds. The knife cuts like nothing else. It is phenomenal! It is a perfect box opener, and cuts cardboard like a dream. I don't know guys, I am thinking about having a new EDC and retiring my Captain from my EDC work knife. Too bad the thing is so **** ugly.
A.M.

Post by A.M. »

Actually, I think the Dodo is a very beautifully designed knife, both closed and opened. I've had the pleasure of owning two a while back but they are both gone now. I carried mine primarily as SD knife. It's so light and noticeable, and it was great to carry when I went on runs or worked out. This thread make me sorry I don't have either one anymore...
CombatGrappler

Post by CombatGrappler »

I've got 3 of 'em, and they are sticking with me forever. Or until the price goes through the roof, LOL. ;)

I was using mine to open a box for a customer. He took one look and said, "Man, that thing was made to cut!" Pretty much sums it all up.
TexSierra

Post by TexSierra »

You know what I would really like to see is a ZDP-189 version of the Dodo, with black G10 handles. I know it wont happen because its a Golden model and ZDP is only made in Japan, but a guy can dream.
hickster

Post by hickster »

TexSierra wrote:You know what I would really like to see is a ZDP-189 version of the Dodo, with black G10 handles. I know it wont happen because its a Golden model and ZDP is only made in Japan, but a guy can dream.
Perhaps in S90V then...which might even be better! ;)
hickster
amen74

Post by amen74 »

hickster wrote:Perhaps in S90V then...which might even be better! ;)
hickster
Now we're talkin'. In orange G10 right? :D
Aaron

Current EDCs: Golden models
:spyder: FG D2 Military:cool: Orange UKPK:spyder:

NEXT: Rock Lobster, Manix2, TiMil
TexSierra

Post by TexSierra »

An Orange G10 S90V Dodo would be pretty cool. I wouldn't mind owning one...even though I think its an ugly knife.
hickster

Post by hickster »

As long as they as they make the orange serrated and a plain edge model with black G10 :D ;)
cobrajoe

Post by cobrajoe »

hickster wrote:As long as they as they make the orange serrated and a plain edge model with black G10 :D ;)
I've said this before, so I'll say it again:

I'm in! :D (I'll take the SE or two)
MEMBER OF THE INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE
duff72

Post by duff72 »

Is this where we start another "how about a sprint run dodo" thread :D
C.O.T.C.O. honorary member
deeker

Post by deeker »

Tex,
Good to see you've come around to accepting the Dodo. It really is a great little knife for so many handy cutting tasks.

I got mine when I found out they were going to be disco'd. One of my better impulse purchases.... :D
bladese97

Post by bladese97 »

:spyder: :spyder: :cool: :spyder: :spyder:I should probably be sitn this one out, because I've never owned, or even handled one of these great Spyders, but I have looked, and searched for a long time, with no luck :( Maybe not hard enough...? Even so, I just love it! John
:spyder: :spyder: :cool: :spyder: :spyder: "Spyderco...does a pocket good":spyder:
Spyderco Rocks!!!! "A wise man once said all knives were created equal...Obviously, he meant Spydercos''
As of 1-29-08, I am a proud member of Knife Rights!
TexSierra

Post by TexSierra »

Its just so darn ugly. No offense to anyone who likes it, but it is hideous.

However, it does work like God designed it himself. I am blown away and the cutting potential of this itty bitty knife!!! It is my new favorite work knife.