Paramilitary locking system?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
338 Stalker

Paramilitary locking system?

Post by 338 Stalker »

Just a quick question. How does this 'compression' locking system fare/hold up. Any blade-play or weakness in it's design?

If not, this looks to be one sweet knife.

All comments are welcomed. Thanks :)
SimpleIsGood229

Post by SimpleIsGood229 »

The compression lock is actually one of the strongest locks in existence. Some people complain of slight blade play after excessive, forceful flipping. Shouldn't be a problem if you don't do that.
God Bless Texas!
[RIGHT]Avatar courtesy of Dialex[/RIGHT]
Μολὼν λαβέ

2009 - Birth of the H-1 Spyderhawk! Thank you, Sal!
The CoPilot

Post by The CoPilot »

The compression lock is one of the finest locking mechanisms out there. Strong, tough, and durable! It's my favorite.
><> The most important blood trail leads to the Cross <><
C09 CoPilots My Specialty
Integrity is Being Good Even if No One is WatchingTM
Looking for: C04 Executive plain edge, C09 CoPilot plain edge with brass liners and a G-2 marked blade
WhiteWillie

Post by WhiteWillie »

SimpleIsGood229 wrote:The compression lock is actually one of the strongest locks in existence. Some people complain of slight blade play after excessive, forceful flipping. Shouldn't be a problem if you don't do that.
It may be that the blade play comes about as a result of deformation of the stop pin holes in the liners? This happend to me with a REKAT Carnivour and the issue wasn't lock related.
Mr. Bill

Old guys just know stuff!

:spyder: ATR PE
:spyder: Chinook III
:spyder: Lil' Temperance PE
:spyder: Manix PE
:spyder: Mini-Manix PE
:spyder: Native Black Blade SE
:spyder: Native III PE
:spyder: Para Military (S30V)
:spyder: Spyderfly
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

Agree w/others, the compression lock is very strong. I have it on a number of different Spydies and works well on all of them except for one, the one on my Paramilitary. For some reason it's not smooth, it kinda sticks, if you will, when trying to close the blade. Aside from that, I love it.
gunmike1

Post by gunmike1 »

The comp lock is my favorite lock. It is simple, very strong, and ambidexterous. It is a very smooth and solid lock, and I really like it on my Superhawk and CPM D2 Para.

Mike
spydutch

Post by spydutch »

Carrying my Para/SE right now.

Straight out of the box it had very minor vertical play when put excessive force on the blade. At the same time the blade almost fell open and closed that smooth/loose.

I don't like that smooth of an action anyway, so I tightened and locktited the pivot screw and stop pin screw to the point that the action is still smooth but the blade doesn't fall close anymore when releasing the lock. I have to use a mild squeezing of my thumb to get the blade closed.

Upon opening the blade almost makes the same clicking noice as my Millie and the play is entirely gone ;)
Arend(old school Spydie lover)

MEMBER OF THE INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE!!!

VERY PROUD OWNER OF A CALY III/SE #043 :D

....AND A FG(PARA) MILITARY/SE IN CPMD2(thanx Sal):cool:

...I would love to have one in full SpyderEdge:p
dialex

Post by dialex »

The complock is my favorite locking system. It is simple, allows an open construction, can be fairly easy operated by righties as well as by lefties, requires minimal maintenance and it is very strong. It requires a bit of skill to be executed and adjusted properly, but Spyderco are pretty good at this ;)
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
SecSpyral

Post by SecSpyral »

I love it. But I'm not going to lie to you, my para does have some side to side play
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

The great feature of the comp lock is is it's simplicity. It's not bothered by lint, gunk, etc. It's easy to use. I don't have any with play.
The only weak point is, it's a folding knife. :) , it's not a fixed blade. :D
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
SimpleIsGood229

Post by SimpleIsGood229 »

WhiteWillie wrote:It may be that the blade play comes about as a result of deformation of the stop pin holes in the liners? This happend to me with a REKAT Carnivour and the issue wasn't lock related.
Sounds plausible, but I don't know for sure.
SecSpyral wrote:I love it. But I'm not going to lie to you, my para does have some side to side play
Have you tried tightening the pivot screw?
God Bless Texas!
[RIGHT]Avatar courtesy of Dialex[/RIGHT]
Μολὼν λαβέ

2009 - Birth of the H-1 Spyderhawk! Thank you, Sal!