Procrastination avoidance

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
uhiforgot

Post by uhiforgot »

Dr. Snubnose wrote:I have always thought that procrastination was symptomatic of low self esteem and self confidence...people in general do this because they are scared that the final results will not be satisfactory. Some accomplish this by not doing others by having so much to do that nothing gets done....For me I have always found this statement to work best....
"The quickest way to build self-confidence is to do things you never thought you could do"....Doc :D
Here I was gonna say that I usually procrastinate when it's something I'm not particularly interested in doing because there are things that I WANT to do that rarely, if ever, get delayed.

But Doc has a good point here. Maybe I'm not quite ready to acknowledge having low self esteem and/or self confidence as a whole, but there are certain activities that I know are really important that get put off because I want to have the ability to do them RIGHT.

I agree with Doc's quote as well. My own spin on it that I have used for a long time is "I'm stupid enough to try anything* once." This almost always pertains to food as I have many friends with, shall we say, "adventurous" palates... but it really does feel good to try something entirely new.

That being said, I have already forgotten what else I was going to write. Sorry... :o

*You're probably thinking "Anything? You mean, even..." No, not that. Get your mind out of the gutter.

A very wise man once told me "Eat to live; don't live to eat." ...To my knowledge that's the only stupid thing he's ever said.
FMAKNut

Good book: Getting Things Done by David Allen

Post by FMAKNut »

I was reading the book Getting Things Done by David Allen a few months ago. It's a good, practical read. It really helps in organizing and tracking tasks and information. It also covers getting projects and how to break them up into stages which would hopefully help with the procrastination.
duff72

Post by duff72 »

Ted wrote:I was scheduled (last week) for a course on how to deal with it, but the course has been postponed until a later date.
I was going to sign up for that class but I wanted to see how the first one went before I commited -------------maybe next time :p
C.O.T.C.O. honorary member
SimpleIsGood229

Post by SimpleIsGood229 »

I have a large bumper sticker on my college notebook that reads: PROCRASTINATE LATER. It's a good reminder.

I've found that overall self-discipline and self-control is conducive to efficiently accomplishing things. In other words, procrastination is probably a symptom of a bigger, broader problem.

That's my guess, anyway.
God Bless Texas!
[RIGHT]Avatar courtesy of Dialex[/RIGHT]
Μολὼν λαβέ

2009 - Birth of the H-1 Spyderhawk! Thank you, Sal!