h1 mule

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
duff72

h1 mule

Post by duff72 »

I guess this one is for Sal -since the mules are from golden and h1 is only on japanese knives, can mules be made in japan :confused: please say there will be an H1 mule
C.O.T.C.O. honorary member
brj

Post by brj »

there was a poll on BF, 'which steel do you want in future mules' or something like that, and IIRC H1 made it to the third or forth place
so I guess there might be an H1 Mule someday
hickster

Post by hickster »

ZDP-189 is a Japanese steel (Hitachi, I believe) and the soon to be released MT04 will be solid ZDP-189. So I'm sure it can be worked out one way or another. ;)
hickster
GoMeR

Post by GoMeR »

I thought Spyderco was using the mule as a testing platform for new steel trials, they already have knives that use both zdp and h1 so wouldn't those be the "mules"? I am not complaining or anything, I really like the mules and think its a great idea, just thought it was to test new steels. Like 52100 and cpm-m4 that have not been used in a production model as far as I know.
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

GoMeR wrote:I thought Spyderco was using the mule as a testing platform for new steel trials, they already have knives that use both zdp and h1 so wouldn't those be the "mules"? I am not complaining or anything, I really like the mules and think its a great idea, just thought it was to test new steels. Like 52100 and cpm-m4 that have not been used in a production model as far as I know.
I was under the same understanding. I think the mule team knives are to give us "knife knuts" a chance to use different steels that have not been used before.
brj

Post by brj »

the Mule series was also meant to allow us to compare performances of various steels via the same platform, size & shape, sharpening angle etc
araneae

Post by araneae »

Mules will be made where the steel is. There will also be a 9Cr18Mo (a new Chinese steel) Mule this year I believe. I am excited to see that one as it is an "experimental" new steel.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Since the Mule platform is a flat ground blade, flat grinds are done one side at a time, and H-1 has to be ground on both sides at once due to the work hardening properties of the material (at least on a production scale) I wouldn't hold my breath waiting on an H-1 Mule. Living a thousand miles from saltwater in a place that averages less than 12" of rainfall a year, I somehow fail to see the draw of H-1. ;)
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
duff72

Post by duff72 »

yablanowitz wrote:Since the Mule platform is a flat ground blade, flat grinds are done one side at a time, and H-1 has to be ground on both sides at once due to the work hardening properties of the material (at least on a production scale) I wouldn't hold my breath waiting on an H-1 Mule. Living a thousand miles from saltwater in a place that averages less than 12" of rainfall a year, I somehow fail to see the draw of H-1. ;)
I was thinking an iwb sheath -summer carry right up against the body like that makes me think about sweat being an issue
C.O.T.C.O. honorary member
Josh K

Post by Josh K »

yablanowitz wrote:Since the Mule platform is a flat ground blade, flat grinds are done one side at a time, and H-1 has to be ground on both sides at once due to the work hardening properties of the material (at least on a production scale) I wouldn't hold my breath waiting on an H-1 Mule. Living a thousand miles from saltwater in a place that averages less than 12" of rainfall a year, I somehow fail to see the draw of H-1. ;)
You might be able too... it'd just get expensive. :D What about laser cutting the sides and then finishing with a belt?
MCM

Post by MCM »

Being 1 mile from the Pacific ocean, I would buy more than one!
(On the other hand, have bought more than one M4 & S90v Mules)

But you get the idea.
H1 Mule would be great by me!

Have held off on H1 as the models in that material have not done much for me...... But a Mule? Oh yea.............

To me, Mules are about trying many steels using the same low cast platform for comparison.
(Already had S90v and M4 blades before the Mules came out)

But really like the idea!

Not sure H1 would cost more to machine than super HARD material like M4 or S90v?
Sal.......... thoughts...........
:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Josh K wrote:You might be able too... it'd just get expensive. :D What about laser cutting the sides and then finishing with a belt?
I think sending 600 Mules to Tom Krein for a flat grind would get a touch expensive. ;) Not to mention H-1 being pretty expensive stuff to begin with. How many of you are up for a $150 Mule?
Josh K

Post by Josh K »

yablanowitz wrote:I think sending 600 Mules to Tom Krein for a flat grind would get a touch expensive. ;) Not to mention H-1 being pretty expensive stuff to begin with. How many of you are up for a $150 Mule?
How expensive is H1? There isn't much (~$12) difference between a Delica and a Salt I. I guess you could write off the nested steel liners, and screw construction in the Delica's favor.

But compared to M4 and S90V ($70) I can't imagine H1 being more expensive then that. I know the Aqua Salt's MSRP is about $180, street price is about $120.
Sword of Morning

Post by Sword of Morning »

MCM wrote:To me, Mules are about trying many steels using the same low cast platform for comparison.
But also a very aesthetic and EDC friendly fixed blade without thinking on the purpose of the Mule concept. I would even buy them as a regular production model with scales in place and a good working steel like CPM S30V and VG-10. Of course we get this great knife with "super" steels like CPM S90V and M4. Who knows what's next?
From a collector's standpoint, H-1 and ZDP-189 Mule's would be great. From a user standpoint, H-1 has already been available for some time in other knives of similar price. ZDP-189 is a little more expensive in the Endura/Delica, but still fairly affordable. CPM S90V was a good choice for a Mule because it could only be found in the highest priced Spyderco's until now.
MCM

Post by MCM »

S90v has been available for at least 10 years.........
Just not with Spyderco...........

Its my favorite Mule so far............ :)
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Josh K wrote:How expensive is H1? There isn't much (~$12) difference between a Delica and a Salt I. I guess you could write off the nested steel liners, and screw construction in the Delica's favor.

But compared to M4 and S90V ($70) I can't imagine H1 being more expensive then that. I know the Aqua Salt's MSRP is about $180, street price is about $120.
When you consider the Salt 1 is a one-piece injection molded handle with just two pins for assembly, produced using the same molds as the Delica 3, (molds which have long since been paid for by producing previous models) and the D4 uses new molds (probably still being paid for), liners and more expensive screw construction, yet the D4 costs less, you should start getting an idea how expensive H-1 is.

If you have to hand grind each blade, with the grinding of the first side causing the metal to harden to RC 65, grinding the other side is going to eat up abrasives in a hurry. That will add a lot to the cost of the knife. That's why all the H-1 knives are hollow ground, both sides are ground at the same time to avoid the work-hardening issue. Flat grinding H-1 would be like heat-treating the M-4 before it is ground and then trying to preserve the heat-treat throughout the grinding process.
Sword of Morning

Post by Sword of Morning »

MCM wrote:S90v has been available for at least 10 years.........
Just not with Spyderco...........

Its my favorite Mule so far............ :)
Oh, so sorry, I should clarify that I was speaking within the confines of Spyderco's products. :rolleyes:
MCM

Post by MCM »

No problem..........
Did not mean it to come out like that...........
Just saying all Mule's do not necessarily use new steel.
So, if they could figure out a way to flat grind an H1 Mule, it would be great! :D
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

an H1 mule would be extremely welcome where I live. in fact, it would probably be the only mule i could actually carry out and about and field test in realistic outdoor situations here...
:spyder: :spyder: :spyder: