Skinning a Mule

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
erix

Skinning a Mule

Post by erix »

In the sprit of "Tech Week" on my other favorite website, I'm building a MT01 for my uncle and I thought I'd bring you along for the ride.
Here is the "shop". It's a rolling stand I welded up one afternoon. Mounted to the top is a bench-top drill press, a vice, and (not installed for this photo) a belt sander. A shelf on the bottom holds spare gear and weights the bottom down. Using this rig I can sit in one place and rotate the shop from corner to corner, stand when I want, even roll it outside when the weather is warm.
My vice was in the house when I bought it, I just made some large leather-padded jaws from scrap plywood.
The victim: Mule Team 1 (second, alas) and a pair of Arizona Mesquite scales from eBay. Tape them together inside-to-inside.
I traced the MT01 blade on graph paper and cut out the profile. Use this template to find a good place on the wood to layout the cuts.
I found a spot on the scales where the curve of the grain matched the curve of the blade.
I have an array of nickel silver pin stock from my friend McKnife (Thanks!). I like little pins for one very lazy reason - they're easier to sand smooth flush to the wood. The bigger pins and mosaics are harder to get level with the wood - you wind up taking more wood away than metal and... ugh.
I use a auto-punch to mark the center of the pin locations so the drill bit won't wander.
Uh oh, I forgot to take picture of the next step. For now, just imagine I drilled the pin holes with a drill bit the same size as the stock using the drill press with a back-up piece of wood to prevent tear-out on the other side.
Cut the pins oversize and stuff them in the holes. Use the coping saw to cut of the parts of wood that aren't shaped like a knife handle. You may have to remove and reapply the tape holding the scales together a few times. Use the painter's type - less sticky!
A drum sander on the drill press is a beautiful thing. Here, I'm profiling the edge of the scale closest to the edge. You won't be able to sand/file/mess with this area once the scales are applied so do this now.
brandonreed2008

Post by brandonreed2008 »

Cool! :) I love when people do these "watch me do a project" things
War is mostly waiting.
amen74

Post by amen74 »

It's going good Erix. We need more! :D
Aaron

Current EDCs: Golden models
:spyder: FG D2 Military:cool: Orange UKPK:spyder:

NEXT: Rock Lobster, Manix2, TiMil
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

Thanks for the step-by-step!
angusW

Post by angusW »

I guess we'll have to wait for the next episode of "Scale Making". Good job so far.
erix

Post by erix »

A note about my uncle. He's a Vietnam vet (Navy) who came back and used his GI Bill to become a teacher. He taught math for over 20 years in one of the toughest high schools in his city. After he retired he became a member of the local search and rescue and as such is on call 24/7 rescuing folks who get lost/hurt/overwhelmed by their surroundings. He's also currently caring for his elderly parents "One of the hardest things I've ever had to do." He's a man among men who has served his country, his family, and perfect strangers alike with honor and courage and I've always looked up to him, now more than ever. It's my hope this knife finds a spot in his safe full of fine knives.
Anyway...
Dry fit early and often! Finding out your parts don't fit when you've just mixed the epoxy will make you mad.
See how the front edge follows the curve of the grind? See the scribbled-on graph paper in the background? Erix on Design: I like curves. I like old cars. I like organic shapes. I like things that fit my hand. Translated, the front curve looks like the front-end of an early-sixties Dodge Polara. It then turns into a "brow" like the fins on a '59 Impala mixed with a touch of a L'il Temp. A round belly under the brow fills the hand and becomes a counterpoint to the angular front curve. I also like deeply sculpted wood that makes the grain of the wood weave in and out of the shape. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Tape up that blade! Use multiple layers over the edge followed by a wrap around the whole thing. When we get to filing and sanding you are going to find yourself holding on tho this in ways a person shouldn't hold a knife....
Dry fit!
Dry fit again!
Time to mix up the epoxy. I use 30 minute Devcon Clear.
Slather the inside of one scale with the good stuff. You don't have to work fast but you do have to be deliberate. Do a dry run without epoxy to make sure everything fits. Make sure all the tools you need are right there (clamps, rags, etc..). Make sure all the tools you don't need aren't in the way.
I couldn't take pictures during this portion so for now, imagine me slathering the pins with epoxy and putting them in then lubing up the other scale and pressing the whole enchilada together.
Prepare the vise ahead of time so you can pop the gooey knife in easily. Use the clamps to apply pressure to the scales - not the vise. You don't need Kung Fu grip on them but you don't want them loose either. Put a garbage can under the knife so the epoxy drips into it and not your floor. Clean up and go have a beer.
gac

Post by gac »

Great post. Thanks for all the photos.
angusW

Post by angusW »

This is getting exciting. I'm loving every part of it. Sal should get you to write descriptions for his knives. Using a Dodge Polara and a Chevy Impala to describe a knife is awesome. Keep up the good work erix.
Doc Pyres

Post by Doc Pyres »

Yeah, this is an excellent thread, and I really like the classic car references too. Can't wait to see the finished product. The best thing about this type of detailed 'walkthrough' is, it gives those of us who haven't done this kind of work to our knives (but really want to) answers to so many of our questions. It helps build some confidence that we can tackle this kind of project too. Thanks, erix. :)
amen74

Post by amen74 »

Doc is right. This thread makes me want to start a project with my Mule. I'll check back tomorrow. :D

Thanks, erix. :)
Aaron

jimbo@stn24

Post by jimbo@stn24 »

Looking great Erix, am looking forward to your next installment. I'm quite interested to see how the curves in the handle you've sketched turn out.
WTC #1455
erix

Post by erix »

The next day you have a fully-functional shiv but not too comfortable to hold.
Use the coping saw again to cut away the wood that doesn't look like a knife handle.
I took the belt sander out to the garage. The sanding dust from some woods (and other materials) are hazardous. Exotic South American species and even plain 'ol American walnut have toxins that can enter your bloodstream from inhaling the dust. When in doubt wear a respirator when power sanding like the kind car painters use. Dust masks from the hardware store don't cut it. Mesquite isn't too bad - it's just a little stinky and it makes a big mess.
A 2" belt sander can take a surprising amount of material off in a surprisingly quick time. Also, 51200 makes pretty sparks.
Back to the drill press and drum sander to pick up the other side.
mmmm... Mesquite Snuff
amen74

Post by amen74 »

Right on! This thread rocks! :D
Aaron

angusW

Post by angusW »

This is coming along great erix. I'm really interested in getting a Mule now.
erix

Post by erix »

Time to Talk Tools
Up till now I've used some pretty basic tools; drill press, vise, coping saw & hacksaw. Now it's time to break out the expensive specialized equipment that can and should only be used to make a knife. Not!
From left to right: Half-round wood file, round wood file, small wooden sanding block made from scrap, Dremel rotary tool with 1/2" coarse sanding drum and carbide "grout removal bit", and green Scotchbrite pad. Not shown is an assortment of sanding paper from 100 through 600 grit. That's it!
Sanding blocks are important. Because metal is harder than wood, when you sand wood with your fingers you wind up taking more wood off than metal and you get a hard edge where the wood and the metal meet. Use a sanding block whenever you can to ensure the sandpaper is cutting everything evenly. Wrap the sandpaper around the file to make odd-shaped sanding blocks.
Confession Time: I got so carried away with how well the knife was shaping up I neglected to take photos of the progress I was making as I was making it. Consequently I'll describe the steps I took to block it out and show the hard-to-describe part on a scrap piece. Sorry - I was having too much fun.
First thing to do was lay out the lines of the top edge of the brow. Use the flat side of the half round to radius the top of the blanks from the tang down to this line.
Next, draw another line 1/8" under that edge to be the bottom edge of the brow. Warm up the Dremel...
Crazy as it seems, that carbide grout bit is a fine little carving tool when used with a light touch. LIGHT touch, that is. I carefully carve out a little valley along the underside of the brow line by making many many light passes. It's easy to take too much wood off - a lot harder to put it back!
Now put on the sanding drum and LIGHTLY open up this valley towards the belly of the scales. This tool removes a lot of material and if you don't keep moving it will burn the wood. In a short time you've got a smooth recessed shape that you can blend in with the other contours of the scales with the files! Mesquite smells like popcorn, BTW.
This is called change of plans and it happens all the time. Once I got the scales roughed into shape and the brow carved out on both sides I realized the whole thing was looking a little blocky, chunky, klutzy, boring. Off to the belt sander to taper the scales from the front to back. Of course, I had to go back and re-profile the top and rework the brow....
From there is was a matter of profiling the bottom of the belly, round like a sea horse, and the main choil for the index finger.
Take a look at the brow at the front of the scales. Doesn't quite look like the sketch right? Change of plans again. I wanted to bring the brow out past the "faux-bolster" but if I took too much material off the choil it would have looked and, most importantly, felt wierd. Always trust your hands first, then your eyes. So the Dremel came out and I turned the "fauxlster" back in toward the blade getting the sculptural look I wanted with the finger grip I needed. Also note the little dip in the top of the brow for the thump to rest in.
Shown upside down you get a view of the sculpted "fauxlster".
Sure, it's an odd look but I grew up shooting rifles and shotguns fitted with Harry Lawson's finest thumbholes. HE is a master at blending the odd-angled sculptural element with a graceful ergonomic curve....
'Round back the brow was to make a curl down to the bottom of the scales but, taking a cue from the '59 Impala, they extend straight back and fade out similar to the front of the scales.
Ok, now about finishes. WATCO RULES! Danish is a penetrating oil that soaks into and protects the wood. It gives a beautiful natural glow to the grain. Before you can use it you need to sand the knife AND tang with successive grits of sandpaper until it is buttery smooth. Use the a sanding block on that tang or you'll never get the belt sander scratches out! Apply the danish oil with a soft cotten rag LIBERALLY soaked with it and let it dry for three days. Three days? Yes, three days. After three days you'll want to rub it all over with a fresh scotchbrite pad and hit it with the Danish again, and this time let it sit for one day. Follow with the finishing wax and you'll have a beautiful durable finish that FEELS like wood - not wood under plastic!
Tomorrow the glammy shots, here's one to hold you till then...
I love Foliage Green G10!
Doc Pyres

Post by Doc Pyres »

Wow, all I can say is Wow!
angusW

Post by angusW »

Quite impressive. Great job.
Fairlane

Post by Fairlane »

I enjoyed this very much!

Thanks, Erix.
Henning
Certified :spyder: addict

Help out at: http://www.spydiewiki.com for everyone's benefit!
erix

Thanks!

Post by erix »

Thanks everyone for your comments. I enjoyed taking pictures and typing throughout the process. Only wished I would have gotten the meat-n-potatoes on film... guess I'll have to make another one!
I've uploaded the glammy photos to this thread in the gallery, hope you like them!
I love Foliage Green G10!