More wharncliffe

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

More Wharncliffe?

Yay
84%
Nay
16%

Total votes: 87

guitarguy

Post by guitarguy »

one more reason to bring back the ronin!
brandonreed2008

Post by brandonreed2008 »

clovisc wrote:all of you wharnie junkies are going to seriously enjoy the Chokwe Folder. :D It's been in my pocket since it arrived a couple weeks ago, and feels like a natural extension of my body... :D
If I understand correctly you have a Chokwe in your pocket...

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: Is it out??
War is mostly waiting.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Axlis wrote:Heres a token pic to get things started, long live the wharn!
Nice pic of the knife in my pocket :) That's the classic wharnie shape I love - no curves at all to the edge with a beautiful curving point to the tip. I know a larger Urban (Caly?) with a lock would be swell. I think, still that we need a large and smaller Salt wharnie - PE and SE - I love PE, but a SE wharnie would :eek: :eek: outperform my Tasman for cardboard.

- best wishes, Jazz.
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

brandonreed2008 wrote:If I understand correctly you have a Chokwe in your pocket...

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: Is it out??
you understand correctly... and no, it's not out yet. ;) :D

i can say conclusively, however, that it will blow you wharncliffe fans away. :D

totally amazing, large folding EDC knife... with extremely interesting looks, and some way cool history.
:spyder: :spyder: :spyder:
roguesoul

Post by roguesoul »

Short edge wharncliffes are fine but I was unable to put longer edge wharnies to good use. I would like to have an Atlantic Salt in plain edge though. At what tasks will a 4" or so length wharncliffe blade excel?
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

roguesoul wrote:Short edge wharncliffes are fine but I was unable to put longer edge wharnies to good use. I would like to have an Atlantic Salt in plain edge though. At what tasks will a 4" or so length wharncliffe blade excel?
Same as the small ones pretty much, plus the added benefit of an excellent SD shape (hope I NEVER have to find that out).

- best wishes, Jazz.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

clovisc wrote:all of you wharnie junkies are going to seriously enjoy the Chokwe Folder. :D It's been in my pocket since it arrived a couple weeks ago, and feels like a natural extension of my body... :D
The Chokwe is really pretty much a "California clip" blade, not a wharncliffe. Not to dis you or the knife - it is beautiful and I love that blade shape - so useful, but I think true Wharncliffes have a top sloping curve to them and a perfectly flat edge. Still, I can see how you would see wharncliffe fans as liking the Chokwe, if that is or isn't what you're saying - just not sure what you're meaning. Also, I'm glad such a deserving person has one before everyone else - I'm sure it means a lot to you :) . It's a REALLY nice design. :cool:

- best wishes, Jazz.
stonyman

Post by stonyman »

Yes, I am in for another Wharnie. Blame it on the Yo! :D
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

Jazz wrote:The Chokwe is really pretty much a "California clip" blade, not a wharncliffe. Not to dis you or the knife - it is beautiful and I love that blade shape - so useful, but I think true Wharncliffes have a top sloping curve to them and a perfectly flat edge. Still, I can see how you would see wharncliffe fans as liking the Chokwe, if that is or isn't what you're saying - just not sure what you're meaning. Also, I'm glad such a deserving person has one before everyone else - I'm sure it means a lot to you :) . It's a REALLY nice design. :cool:

- best wishes, Jazz.
it's a "chokwe clip" if anything. not many chokwes in california. ;) the blade shape has been around longer than the state of cali.

what i'm saying is... it's only a couple millimeters from being a perfectly flat edge. anyone who likes the wharncliffe blade shape is going to dig it.
:spyder: :spyder: :spyder:
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

clovisc wrote:it's a "chokwe clip" if anything. not many chokwes in california. ;) the blade shape has been around longer than the state of cali.

what i'm saying is... it's only a couple millimeters from being a perfectly flat edge. anyone who likes the wharncliffe blade shape is going to dig it.
Well, that's what I was quite sure you meant and yes, I do like it a lot. Thanks for the reply, clovisc. :cool:

- best wishes, Jazz.
amen74

Post by amen74 »

I voted yes. A beefed up Kiwi, as Deacon mentioned, would be so awesome!
Aaron

Current EDCs: Golden models
:spyder: FG D2 Military:cool: Orange UKPK:spyder:

NEXT: Rock Lobster, Manix2, TiMil
Agent Starling

as austin powers would say...

Post by Agent Starling »

yeah, baby, YEAH!!! :D

wharnies are good for the soul.

Agent Starling :cool:
"Too many was too many, but way too many was just right."
DAYWALKER

Post by DAYWALKER »

+1...

God bless! :cool:
Proverbs 16:3...Commit YOUR works to the LORD, and YOUR plans WILL succeed!

"Where's the best little big knife not designed by Sal or Eric?" ~ thombrogan, WSM

Avatar by my KnifeBrother, DiAlex...C102 Adventura designer, 2005 Spyderco Forum Knife! ;)
PSU

Post by PSU »

+1

I am a big fan of my recently purchased Wharnie Urban.
People say, oh it's dangerous to keep weapons in the home, or the workplace. Well I say, it's better to be hurt by someone you know, accidentally, than by a stranger, on purpose. - Dwight The Office

It's okay for me to talk about my job, as long as I'm not specific. I am the Sergeant of a three-man Rapid Tactical Force at one of America's largest indoor retail shopping areas. - Gecko_45

The more you learn about knives, the better Spyderco looks. - Sal
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

If my Wharnie Urban doesn't arrive soon, you just may hear a grown man cry (in a rather manly sort of way :p ). The pics and reviews look great, but make the waiting worse - pa-ite-nc-e - :)

- best wishes, Jazz.
tradja

Post by tradja »

The wharnie is my favorite blade profile, folder or fixed. I carried a 7" wharncliffe neck knife on a 3000 mile hike we did in 2006, and was hooked.

I decided that compared to a blade with a lot of belly, it was halfway to a hawkbill - that relatively lowered point could really catch and dive, cutting aggressively when you needed it. Aside from heavy cutting, it acts like a scalpel and is easy to sharpen.

More wharncliffe Spydies would be awesome.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

What kind of knife did you carry, tradja, if that's okay to ask on this forum?

- best wishes, Jazz.
Lord vader

Post by Lord vader »

Jazz wrote:If my Wharnie Urban doesn't arrive soon, you just may hear a grown man cry (in a rather manly sort of way :p ). The pics and reviews look great, but make the waiting worse - pa-ite-nc-e - :)

- best wishes, Jazz.
I know that feeling,Hang in there, it will be worth it. :)
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Lord vader wrote:I know that feeling,Hang in there, it will be worth it. :)
Thanks, bro - it never gets any easier, does it?
Do you have the Urban? What do you think of it overall?

- best wishes, Jazz.
MAT888

Post by MAT888 »

+2,

Hey i second that feeling too ;) .

A ronin 2 our special re-run would be nice too.

I'm also dreaming of a d4 style flat ground wharny with h1 maybe??

Just some suggestions on the "lord wharncliff" memorable ansistor....
;)
Maarten
member of FFG Club