Rock Lobster Is Out!!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
coltsfan8116

Post by coltsfan8116 »

sal wrote:The knife was expensive to us. I believe the nested liners are the main difference. The maker in Seki (different maker from Barong) is the only one in Seki that can even make nested liners.

We had hoped to make it in Golden, but capacity issues would have taken even longer.

The G-10 is made in the USA and machined in the USA before being shipped to Seki.

It's a really beautiful piece. Jens did a nice job.

sal

Sal, Can i offer up a Kidney or something in trade for the Rock Lobster :D Maybe i can persuade the wife and family to all pitch in for my B-day.....
JspyEDC

Post by JspyEDC »

stonefrog wrote:A quick google shows stores that will sell it at $175. Not in stock yet but not to bad of a price.
This is just a dealer talking, but I would question purchasing a $329.00 knife from a dealer who marks it up TEN BUCKS..? Really.... why sell it in the first place? Not that it's all about how much you can make on a knife but geez, why waste time ordering it, pay freight to get it, then opening the box and listing on a web-site for LESS than ten bucks mark-up...

When I became a Spyderco dealer (I am a direct dealer, buy solely from Spyderco) I was told ... "We like our dealers to only mark down about 20% max.." I understand the reasoning of that statement, and though unrealistic in most circumstances I understand why I was told that.

Just my opinion, but I doubt if Spyderco appreciates a dealer who WANTS to sell one of their knives and cheapens it by offering it for nearly the same price as they were invoiced wholesale. That has to be insulting to the designer, the R&D guys, the factory workers that assembled the piece and the QC people who approved it's release to the public.

Makes me think the site who put up that ridiculous price must be dollarstore.com. Didn't know they sold knives.
Spyderco Collector #162
Spider bite

Post by Spider bite »

JspyEDC wrote:
Makes me think the site who put up that ridiculous price must be dollarstore.com. Didn't know they sold knives.
I have only had good experience with yourcornerstore.com and its competitive pricing.
jezabel

Post by jezabel »

jezabel wrote:I'm still having trouble understanding the pricing. Maybe I'm looking at things too logically here but... Here's a look at the basic specs "on paper" compared to the Barong.

Both are Collaboration models.
Both are made in Japan.
Both use a liner lock.
Both use FG G10
Both use 3mm stock VG10
Both are FFG
Both have blade lengths around 4 inches.
Both use screw construction
The Barong uses full liners and the Rocklobster nested ( I think).

Barong MSRP $249
Rocklobster MSRP $329

Models we usually see carrying that $300+ price tag pack some sort of special steel, CF handles and sometimes both.
I really like and want the Rock Lobster, at 250 MSRP I would have purchased it already, but now I need to somehow justify spending these extra $$$ though before biting the bullet.

Can someone twist my arm here...
sal wrote:The knife was expensive to us. I believe the nested liners are the main difference. The maker in Seki (different maker from Barong) is the only one in Seki that can even make nested liners.

We had hoped to make it in Golden, but capacity issues would have taken even longer.

The G-10 is made in the USA and machined in the USA before being shipped to Seki.

It's a really beautiful piece. Jens did a nice job.

sal
Thanks for that Sal.
It's funny how something we almost take for granted like the nested liners can affect production costs so drastically.
Since I have a specific use for the Rock Lobster I'm still entertaining the idea of buying one, although it will mean culling my Spydie want list back this year....

Jez

P.s Sherpa we will need pics and a full review ASAP!
aj1985

Post by aj1985 »

JspyEDC wrote:This is just a dealer talking, but I would question purchasing a $329.00 knife from a dealer who marks it up TEN BUCKS..? Really.... why sell it in the first place? Not that it's all about how much you can make on a knife but geez, why waste time ordering it, pay freight to get it, then opening the box and listing on a web-site for LESS than ten bucks mark-up...

When I became a Spyderco dealer (I am a direct dealer, buy solely from Spyderco) I was told ... "We like our dealers to only mark down about 20% max.." I understand the reasoning of that statement, and though unrealistic in most circumstances I understand why I was told that.

Just my opinion, but I doubt if Spyderco appreciates a dealer who WANTS to sell one of their knives and cheapens it by offering it for nearly the same price as they were invoiced wholesale. That has to be insulting to the designer, the R&D guys, the factory workers that assembled the piece and the QC people who approved it's release to the public.

Firstly bro your a dealer. Sometimes I'm not sure if your posting as a forumite or as a dealer.

I know you have a business to run, but your not the only game in town. There are other respectable dealers out there that sell for less than your ebay auctions or your actual store.

Everyone here likes the knife, but believes it's to much money at this time.

A good friend and a dealer sells these for $188. I spoke to him and he said to me he tries to keep the overhead low and pass the saving on to his customers. He had lums for $113 and most of his prices are better than anything I have seen out there. Not a crack towards you, but most people here want to buy spydies at a good deal and save a bit more money and buy more spydies with whats left over.

take care
aj
Live in every breath

INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE
JspyEDC

Post by JspyEDC »

aj1985 wrote:Firstly bro your a dealer. Sometimes I'm not sure if your posting as a forumite or as a dealer.
I was crystal clear in my post that I was speaking as a dealer.

Everyone has the right to shop and get the best price they can get on any model. No harm in that, it's just that some dealers choose to do business in a manner that others might not care to do. Simply put, I choose not too. I did not say that my way was the only way or even the best way. All any dealer can do is leave it up to their customers, and it'll all come out in the wash.

My actual point was this: The Federal Trade Commission will not allow Spyderco or any manufacturer to force what a dealer MUST charge an end user; and Spyderco doesn't make a dime more or less on a unit regardless of what a dealer sells it for... But I promise you... when a manufacturer observes a sales agent selling a 329.00 retail item for about a net $7.50 profit, the hair on the back of their neck stands up.
Spyderco Collector #162
sal

Post by sal »

Certainly an understandable dilemma and one that is beyond our level of expertise to affect.

Try to remember that this is a limited production item. The maker says that he can only make about 100 per month.

Kelly, Spyderco's sales manager is very carefull to make sure that the limited quantity pieces are shared and that no one gets an unfair amount.

sal
Manix Guy 2

Have to pass

Post by Manix Guy 2 »

I love this knife and design but as a lefty I will sadly pass . MG2
Slatts

Post by Slatts »

JspyEDC wrote: But I promise you... when a manufacturer observes a sales agent selling a 329.00 retail item for about a net $7.50 profit, the hair on the back of their neck stands up.
Maybe that's true, but maybe it's good market data for the manufacturer. That would tell the manufacturer a few possible things...1. The item has been determined to be nondesirable and the sales agent wants to recoup their investment, or 2. the sales agent is very efficient and can work on a paper thin margin, or 3. a combination of the two.
TexSierra

Post by TexSierra »

If the vendor can purchase from spyderco at the same price, selling at a low margin is not a big deal, other than it hurts those who feel they should make a good profit. If these places were purchasing at a significantly better margin and whoring the product out, its a different story.

I see no issue with a store making a profit, but the laws of supply and demand rule the show. If the market will only bare $200 for the Rock Lobster, then the market will only bare $200. Trying to charge more will only create a surplus of knives, which will only sell if prices decrease.
aj1985

Post by aj1985 »

JspyEDC wrote:I was crystal clear in my post that I was speaking as a dealer.

Everyone has the right to shop and get the best price they can get on any model. No harm in that, it's just that some dealers choose to do business in a manner that others might not care to do. Simply put, I choose not too. I did not say that my way was the only way or even the best way. All any dealer can do is leave it up to their customers, and it'll all come out in the wash.

My actual point was this: The Federal Trade Commission will not allow Spyderco or any manufacturer to force what a dealer MUST charge an end user; and Spyderco doesn't make a dime more or less on a unit regardless of what a dealer sells it for... But I promise you... when a manufacturer observes a sales agent selling a 329.00 retail item for about a net $7.50 profit, the hair on the back of their neck stands up.
With all due respect simply put within this argument your a dealer first and a forumite second. Your previous post it seems your not happy with others charging less for the knife.

I still don't see the downside your pointing at. Spyderco get's it's money. The dealer get's his profit margin, and a knife buyer get a great knife at a competitive price.

I believe your a bit biased on this issue simply because your a dealer. If you want a bigger profit margin that's fine, but don't bring anything else into this argument. I only look at two things when buying knives from any dealer. Do I like them and do they have good prices.

take care eh
aj
Live in every breath

INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE
Hillbillenigma

Post by Hillbillenigma »

JspyEDC wrote:I doubt if Spyderco appreciates a dealer who WANTS to sell one of their knives and cheapens it by offering it for nearly the same price as they were invoiced wholesale.
Do you think Spyderco (or its Customers) appreciates a Dealer who sells at 100% above MSRP? IE. A Dealer that sells a knife for $20 (whose MSRP is $8) only because that Dealer is the first to have that knife for sale and the general public isn't aware of the MSRP yet?

Don't you think that would BUG Spyderco?
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The Marines don't have that problem."
~ Ronald Reagan, 1985
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

aj1985 wrote:With all due respect simply put within this argument your a dealer first and a forumite second. Your previous post it seems your not happy with others charging less for the knife.

I still don't see the downside your pointing at. Spyderco get's it's money. The dealer get's his profit margin, and a knife buyer get a great knife at a competitive price.
Good points, AJ.

JSpyEDC... that's capitalism and free market, man.

I'll sometimes pay more for a knife if the dealer I'm supporting has a good, positive attitude. ;) :rolleyes:
:spyder: :spyder: :spyder:
MCM

Post by MCM »

Now to go way off topic...........
What happened with the Bug?
I wanted one, but cound'nt find one near MSRP?
E-bay seems the only place to find 'em?
Are more being made?
Just want one to toss in the knife box......

"JSpyEDC... that's capitalism and free market, man."

Agree, guess it goes both ways..........
I must be one of the one's paying $ a few dollars over cost
most of the time on new knifes.............
Pays to shop
:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......
amen74

Post by amen74 »

4 pages and no pics yet? Come on, someone please post some pics already! :p
Aaron

Current EDCs: Golden models
:spyder: FG D2 Military:cool: Orange UKPK:spyder:

NEXT: Rock Lobster, Manix2, TiMil
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

Well, let me put a positive spin on this....at least for me.

I did not realize it was going to be limited production. I also didn't realize that it had nested liners. I always liked the original custom JENS ANSØ Rock Lobster, which I cannot find, for the life of me, on his site anymore.

Due to the fact that I have always wanted one I am going to pick one up. I'm sure that Sal is not super enthused about the price of the knife and he seems to understand our dilemma. Thankfully in this economy I can afford the knife if I really want it, and I can't think of a better way to support Spyderco.

On a side note.....I'm thinking I was a jerk in the earlier parts of this thread. Sorry about that.
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
amen74

Post by amen74 »

That's okay David. I believe I did some of the same. Or was that another thread? :)
Aaron

Current EDCs: Golden models
:spyder: FG D2 Military:cool: Orange UKPK:spyder:

NEXT: Rock Lobster, Manix2, TiMil
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

arguments aside, i absolutely plan on getting one. the design kicks butt, and that's the bottom line.

i'll probably buy from the ebay dealer with the lowest price, and positive feedback at 99.7% or higher... like i almost always do.

there's one brick and mortar store here that carries spydies, but they have very limited offerings.
:spyder: :spyder: :spyder:
Sherpa

Post by Sherpa »

HahAAA!

It has arrived and I could not be happier. Thanks to the super fast shipping from Spydieguys. I paid for it late friday and received it late today with first class mail shipping. They must have someone at the post office on their payroll! :D

I remember someone asking for some in hand shots so here are some. I have large skinny hands.

Killing the packaging it shipped in.

Cutting towards yourself. Never do this!

This knife has better fit and finish than any spyderco I have had yet. I've owned plenty of them too. Feels great and seems like it is going to be one hot performer.

As an electrician it is knife to have a wharncliffe or hawkbill. To pierce the coating of the wire. For other jobs it is nice to have a little bit of belly. I believe the shape of this blade will be able to do both very well. I look forward to cutting up the jobsite with it and will post back sometime later. When I can make an experienced Rock Lobster handler's report.
:p I'm happy, thank everyone involved in this project for me Spyderco.

P.S. I was very tempted to tell everyone it is a horrible knife so there would be more for me to buy! It's that good. :D
Spider bite

Post by Spider bite »

Thanks Sherpa- Those pics help me judge how this knife will fit in the hand. Looks like a real nice blade. Congrats!