Spydernox or Victorico

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
mbhanzo

Spydernox or Victorico

Post by mbhanzo »

Obviously most guys here love their Spyderco's.. How many of you also like Swiss Army knives? Personally I love both and would love even more a colaboration betweet the two.. I mentioned this to my Victorinox rep a couple of years ago and his reply was " It will never happen "... This particular rep had never heard of a SwissBuck before.. Any members here remember the Swissbuck's? It was a cool idea at the time but it didn't seem to go over too well at the time to my memory.. I have to believe that in todays market a Spydernox or a Victorico would be a hot seller. Imho the highest performance specialty edges found on production folding knives are Spyderco's serrations and the woodsaw found in many Victorinox models. Both edges are very high performance and the thoughst of both blades in one knife along with the can opener and bottle opener blades makes me giddy. I hope youre reading this Sal :D This would be a very cool package and obviously there could be specialty models directed towards hunters and campers and todays survival and bushcrafts. What do you think? Mike
jzmtl

Post by jzmtl »

I think I have just as many or more victorinox/wenger than I have spydercos, none of them is shelf queen. I don't think you can beat them in term of combination of quality/price/utility. I always have one in pocket along with a spyderco (or two).

As far as collaboration is concerned, I don't really see how it could be implemented thou.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Mike,

Welcome to the Spyderco forum.

It's not a likely collaboration. Victorinox is already beginning to make one hand hole openers (almost round) and they've added clips as well.

On the other hand, We're already well into our Slipits and we've got a 2 bladed version in prototyping. One blade and a screwdriver/tool on the other.

We're working on a light weight FRN Slipit which will bring the cost down. I don't think that we would ever go so soft on the steel as they do. I think that .8 carbon would be our lowest, with .9 preferred for the "low cost USA made models".

sal
mbhanzo

Post by mbhanzo »

Hey Sal,

Thanks for the reply!! :)

The Victorinox steel being soft issue is exactly why I carry a Spyderco when carrying one of the sak's :) In my store I carry a wide selection of Victorinox and Spyderco's.. I'm happy to say that my store Grindstone Cutlery is one of Spyderco's authorized dealers.. Proud in fact.. :) I sell more Spyderco's and Victorinox knives than any other brands combined because I believe them to be the highest quality available on the market today.. When I sell a customer a Spyderco knife or a Victorinox I know that my customer will be very happy with his or her purchase..

If Spyderco does start producing more multi bladed type models and you are looking for input I have more than a few ideas :D Thanks again Sal, Mike
O,just,O

Post by O,just,O »

Perchance, would one of those many ideas be a DYAD 2 :)
O.
JD Spydo

Victorinox: The very best Swiss Army Knife period

Post by JD Spydo »

O,just,O wrote:Perchance, would one of those many ideas be a DYAD 2 :)
O.
Hey "O,justO" keep pounding that drum hard brother and I'll keep making my voice heard about the Dyad2 my own self ;) :cool:

I've always been an admirer of Victorinox blades and tools. When I go camping, hunting, fishing or on rare occasions hiking I always take my original Spyderench and for a companion to it I take my Victorinox Swiss Tool. Those 2 multi-tools were truly made to compliment each other.

I'm always particular to use Victorinox's Swiss made stuff. I had one of their "Champ" knives once that had over 35 different tools on it. I traded it for a Spyderco blade and I almost wish I had kept it. I got it from a guy in Germany and it was one of their Swiss made multi-bladed, multi-tool folders.

I don't rate Victorinox's quality anywhere near Spyderco's but I do have a lot of respect for their tools
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
jzmtl

Post by jzmtl »

But you have to consider the price thou, a swiss champ cost the same as a delica!
FLYBYU44

Post by FLYBYU44 »

I have a Victorinox Soldier that I EDCed before getting my Spydies. The Alox scaled Soldier is a very nice looking knife and tough as nails, I abused mine more then any other knife I've owned and it still works well and looks decent.
Those who choose to live a life without risks, arrive safely at death's door.
tkdman41

Post by tkdman41 »

I'm just not a fan of Victorinox. I carried them while I was a boy scout for years before I got my first Leatherman. I feel like the blades on SAK's leave a lot to be desired. The one thing I do enjoy about SAK's is the tweasers.
Endura ZDP-189 CE | Endura Wave CE | Salt 1 PE | Centofante 3 PE | Tenacious PE | Tenacious SE | MT02 Second | MT03 | JD Smith | Caly 3 ZDP-189 CF | Bill Moran | Military | Tasman PE | Stretch 2 CF | Endura | Delica | Dragon Fly
Caly E

Post by Caly E »

Id buy a bunch of those. Nice idea!
Buzzbait

Post by Buzzbait »

I love Victorinox SAK's. I pretty much always have one with me when I'm outdoors. The tools are incredibly stainless and very easy to sharpen, and the saws are a dream come true when you need them.

I'd love to see Spyderco do an outdoor model folder. Something like a Dyad, but with a plain edge blade and a saw, both locking. That would be the one knife that might make me hang up my SAK's for good.

Here's a SAK that I just finished modding today. It is my favorite SAK model of all-time, the Victorinox Hunstman. I replaced the plastic scales with green canvas Micarta. I even notched out the spot for the tweezers. Didn't bother making the notch for the plastic toothpick, as I've never had a use for it.

RJNC

Post by RJNC »

I'm a huge SAK and Spyderco fan. I only collect Spyderco/Byrd keychain knives and SAK large locking/clip knives. Which always sounds kind of funny since both are known for the opposite.
Brad S.

Post by Brad S. »

I would personally be pretty dissapointed in Spyderco if it lowered its quality standards and steel standards to the level of a SAK. Im glad Sal spoke up and said it wont happen. SAK and Spyderco arnt even close to the same class of knives.
Brad Southard

Southard Knives

"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men," Colossians 3:23
pantopop

Spyderco/sak

Post by pantopop »

I fell in love with victorinox before I even knew there was Spyderco...Yet.. The Ladybug on my keys has solved more problems for me than the 27 function sak ever did. (Although the magnifying glass was cool for burning ants). I've busted a few swiss knives, but have yet to do much harm to a Spyderco. The materials that Mr. Glesser provides are crazy good for the price. It has captured all my attention.
jezabel

Post by jezabel »

pantopop wrote:I fell in love with victorinox before I even knew there was Spyderco...Yet.. The Ladybug on my keys has solved more problems for me than the 27 function sak ever did. (Although the magnifying glass was cool for burning ants). I've busted a few swiss knives, but have yet to do much harm to a Spyderco. The materials that Mr. Glesser provides are crazy good for the price. It has captured all my attention.
I feel pretty much the same way, I've always had SAK's since I was a kid (I never did quite grow out of that MacGyver fad) and consequently still have a soft spot for them. There's has always been one close by in my bag and I carried one on the key ring for many years, but in saying that I cant ever recall needing to use a SAK blade. The corkscrew was always in popular demand along with the tweezers and tooth pick too. These days they just sit and multiply in my draws...
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

they're cool until they break, i guess. or get gunk in them... then they're a nightmare.

my first knife was a boy scout SAK, back when i was just a cub scout. i remember bending the tip by trying to cut concrete, or something similarly ridiculous. i still have it, which is more than i can say for the leathermen i've owned.

all the "multi tools" i've ever owned... including SAKs... have a relatively short lifespan (even without cutting concrete... :D ) . i've gone through four leathermen... a first gen one lasted the longest, then got gunk on it (eating crab claws with it... cleaned it, but... not well enough?), then got rust on it, then frozen into an unusable position. they can be alright, providing you keep them in the house. the places where multitools make the most sense... africa, alaska, hiking... also tend to be the places most likely to ruin multitools.

i find that the tools on multi-tools are always a comprise, and that its always better to have the actual tool around...
:spyder: :spyder: :spyder:
Chucula

Post by Chucula »

sal wrote:we've got a 2 bladed version in prototyping. One blade and a screwdriver/tool on the other
oh cool! I dont understand why swiss army knives tend to have the screwdriver next to the corkscrew. makes so much more sense to have it extend lengthwise rather than out the side.
RJNC

Post by RJNC »

What do we have to do to see that proto Dyad???!!!
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

I also LOVE Victorinox Swiss Army Knives. I think that everyone should have one in their car or in their pocket, or bag or whatever. I agree with Buzzbait, as my favorite is the Huntsman.

Buzzbait, do you do those custom scales for other people?
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
O,just,O

Post by O,just,O »

RJNC wrote:What do we have to do to see that proto Dyad???!!!
Yes, Mate, what indeed, please tell us Sal. I am ready. Please don't make me go :eek: :eek: :eek: . I want this DYAD 2 experiance to be all :D :D :D .
;) O.