Sage Next Lock Choice? lets choose

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JBE

Post by JBE »

The Deacon wrote:Could be wrong but could swear I remember Sal commenting that the Mar/McBurnette lock would be next. But maybe it's because that's the only lock I really am looking forward to seeing on the Sage. :D
+1 on the Mar/McBurnette. Can't say that I won't like the RIL version more but I'd definitely prefer a more "traditional" lock on the next one then the BBL or Compression Lock.
Jason
ROBB

Post by ROBB »

I'd like to see the ball bearing lock only if it has the attachmant on it like the P'Kal. I'm not sure if thats what you guys mean when you refer to it as, caged ball bearing lock ?
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

I just like to see any lock that's 100% ambi!

Wouter
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
ClockWork

Post by ClockWork »

Not to be a troll...

But I really hope that it is not a Back lock.

There are *Tons of great spyderco's with backlock. And its not that I dislike the Back lock.

It'd just be nice to see something other than a backlock. I'd like to see something non-typical. Ball Bearing, Phantom, Stop.
Nested Compresion lock in G10 (Like the Para) would be nice too.

If I had 2 votes, It would be open Ball Bearing lock, and Nested Compression lock.

:)
Thanks
-Clock

EDIT:
ROBB wrote:I'd like to see the ball bearing lock only if it has the attachmant on it like the P'Kal. I'm not sure if thats what you guys mean when you refer to it as, caged ball bearing lock ?
Yes, The P'kal has the "Caged Ball Bearing lock" That little plastic cover is the "Cage". The Function of the lock is the same, The plastic cover just lets you get a better grip.
:) Favorites: Black Paramil w/ D2 blade, PE Mini-Manix, S90v Military, Civilian, SE Dodo, PE Police, Sage

Vist my eBay store: Life and Liberty Gear
Tactical & MOLLE gear, Headgear and more

stores.ebay.com/Life-and-Liberty-Gear
Left Hand Path

Post by Left Hand Path »

I'm with Clock :D
I like variety and would like to see ball-bearing lock or comp lock.
-Nick

Join Today!
http://www.KnifeRights.org
JacksonKnives

Post by JacksonKnives »

Remember that the spirit of this series is not "let's have an excuse to give the afis every lock they desire in a CF-handled FFG-leaf-bladed forlder;" it's "let's pay tribute to the great lock designs that have made the folding knife world what it is today." Hence the Walker liner-lock, and the (IMHO derivative, but certainly important) CR integral.

The Mar/McBurnette Backlock is perhaps a "boring" lock, because we've seen it everywhere and there's nothing especially "sexy" about it (it doesn't require exotic materials or leave fancy holes in your scales) but it's probably the next most important lock in the industry--this is the lock that made one-hand operation a possibility, and it's 100% ambidextrous. Certainly it's Spyderco's most-used lock.

Just because it's everywhere doesn't make it less a work of engineering--one only has to look at a poorly-designed backlock and compare to Seki's or Golden's best fit-and-finish to see that this is a design worth putting extra time and attention into.

Every Sage is a treat; If I had the money I'd buy a couple of each.
—Daniel Jackson
cobrajoe

Post by cobrajoe »

JacksonKnives wrote:Remember that the spirit of this series is not "let's have an excuse to give the afis every lock they desire in a CF-handled FFG-leaf-bladed forlder;" it's "let's pay tribute to the great lock designs that have made the folding knife world what it is today." Hence the Walker liner-lock, and the (IMHO derivative, but certainly important) CR integral.

The Mar/McBurnette Backlock is perhaps a "boring" lock, because we've seen it everywhere and there's nothing especially "sexy" about it (it doesn't require exotic materials or leave fancy holes in your scales) but it's probably the next most important lock in the industry--this is the lock that made one-hand operation a possibility, and it's 100% ambidextrous. Certainly it's Spyderco's most-used lock.

Just because it's everywhere doesn't make it less a work of engineering--one only has to look at a poorly-designed backlock and compare to Seki's or Golden's best fit-and-finish to see that this is a design worth putting extra time and attention into.

I agree with you completely. Though I still vote to see a more "elaborate" lock.

Depending on how many different locks that will be introduced, saving a more "mundane" lock for the future would excite us AFI's who like crazy locks, and save a more "normal" lock for those who discover spyderco in the future and would like a more traditional lock. There's a chance that by the time we get to the last lock in the series, the early liner and frame locks will be hard to get.

I vote crazy now, sanity later :D
MEMBER OF THE INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

Deacon, please describe the Mar/McBurnette lock :confused: .

Also, the Axis would be nice, one of the smoothist and solid locks I know.
IF they can make it Spyderco thin :) .
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

JacksonKnives wrote:Remember that the spirit of this series is not "let's have an excuse to give the afis every lock they desire in a CF-handled FFG-leaf-bladed forlder;" it's "let's pay tribute to the great lock designs that have made the folding knife world what it is today." Hence the Walker liner-lock, and the (IMHO derivative, but certainly important) CR integral.

Definely agree. :D Another point which seems to be missed by some is that the materials used are also meant to reflect those typically used by the lock's designer. That's why the Reeve lock version is titanium.
gull wing wrote:Deacon, please describe the Mar/McBurnette lock :confused: .
It's the lock variously described as the "front lock" and "mid lock" and is the lock used on the Spyderco Worker and on many Spyderco models since then. The name is the result of it having been popularized by Harvey McBurnette, who used it on his custom knives, and by Al Mar, who used it on some of his production knives. As with many locks, the design predates those popularized it, but Spyderco still did Al Mar the courtesy of asking permission to use it.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
cobrajoe

Post by cobrajoe »

The Deacon wrote:Definely agree. :D Another point which seems to be missed by some is that the materials used are also meant to reflect those typically used by the lock's designer. That's why the Reeve lock version is titanium.

So, will the front lock be built with SS handles? :D

I would like that, very traditional :spyder:

Also, what was the last SS knife to have S30V? I can't seem to think of one now.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

cobrajoe wrote:So, will the front lock be built with SS handles? :D

I would like that, very traditional :spyder:

Also, what was the last SS knife to have S30V? I can't seem to think of one now.
Possible, I guess, but most of Al Mar's designs which used it were bolster and scales. ;) :D

Not sure if there ever has been a SS S30V model. Golden doesn't seem to do them and, up until the Sage, that's the only place S30V was used by Spyderco.
Paul
cobrajoe

Post by cobrajoe »

The Deacon wrote:Possible, I guess, but most of Al Mar's designs which used it were bolster and scales. ;) :D

Not sure if there ever has been a SS S30V model. Golden doesn't seem to do them and, up until the Sage, that's the only place S30V was used by Spyderco.
Well, we are overdue then, aren't we? :D

Though, bolsters and scales on a S30V sage would work great for me too, classy with that delicious biting steel that I love :D
EarthDog

Post by EarthDog »

I'm really looking forward to the RIL Sage. The RIL is one of the great innovations in folding knives.

As to the next lock for the Sage series?

I'd be delighted to see a compression lock or an integrated compression lock on the next Sage. Both are brilliant innovations and are worthy of "next up" status in this series!
EarthDog
araneae

Post by araneae »

I would say that a Micarta handle would be fitting for a top/mid lock. Or maybe Cocobolo wood with bolsters.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
vivi

Post by vivi »

Compression lock or either form of the ball lock (Caged preferred) would make my wallet lighter :)
Sam Vimes

Post by Sam Vimes »

(In no particular order) ball lock, compression lock and phantom lock are the types I look forward to.
sixheads

Post by sixheads »

Unfortunetly , they have made the best one alredy. The first sage is the simplest lightest classy knife i own. Its like knife jewlery ata good price . I cant wait for the cat. All of the other locks make the knife to heavy. Just my 2 cents.

Sixheads
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

sixheads wrote:Unfortunetly , they have made the best one alredy. The first sage is the simplest lightest classy knife i own. Its like knife jewlery ata good price . I cant wait for the cat. All of the other locks make the knife to heavy. Just my 2 cents.

Sixheads
Sage CF 91 grams. Native IV CF 89 grams. Caly 3 CF 84 grams. You were saying?
Paul
sixheads

Post by sixheads »

Is the Native a Sage? Is the Caly a Sage? I cant give an opinion without a comment from the great Beacon? When the next Sage versions come out maybe one will be lighter. then i would be wrong and happy to see it.

If i am not mistakin the sage is bigger than the Caly and the native. Therefore hevier by nature.

Lady bug 18grams? price of tea in china?

Sixheads
ClockWork

Post by ClockWork »

I believe the Sage2 Titanium RIL will weigh in at about 3.45 ounces / 98 grams.

Slightly heavier than the Walker Sage.

:)
Cant wait

EDIT:
Oh yeah; According to http://www.teashopchina.com, which is located in Kunming City, China. Which is south central china....
...and if my math is right....

The price of tea in China is roughly $36-$46 USD per pound.
Depending on the type, and quantity purchased.