Need smaller knife - ideas?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bltkmt

Need smaller knife - ideas?

Post by bltkmt »

Thanks in advance for ideas. I currently carry a Caly3 and love it. However, in an office environment I find it a bit intimidating, and would like something a bit smaller (say 2" blade range?), but in the same quality as the Caly3. It needs to have a pocket clip, as I carry in RR pocket. What other knives can you recommend?
JBE

Post by JBE »

If you want clipped, your best bet out of the current production models would be the SS Dragonfly with a blade length of not quite 2 1/2 inches or the Kopa, whose blade is just a hair longer than the Dragonfly's. If you could live without a clip a Kiwi carried loose in the pocket would probably be perfect for your work environment and would likely raise less eyebrows when used in view of others.

Oh, almost forgot, the Spin might meet your requirements as well.
Jason
Piet.S

Post by Piet.S »

SS Dragonfly, sort of the Caly's smaller brother.
Small knife but a great cutter.
All your knifelinks, http://www.knifelinksportal.com
vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

spin, mouse, toad, spur, dragonfly, kopa, cricket, kiwi, micarta dyad jr or the new micro dyad
Coffee before Conciousness
Why do people worry more if you argue with your voices than if you just talk with them? What about if you lose those arguements?
Slowly going crazy at work... they found a way to make the voices work too.
Netsquash

Post by Netsquash »

I was going to say the SS Dragonfly also. It is basically a smaller Caly3, except it does not have a wireclip and is lacking jimping. I carry my SS Dragonfly everywhere.

If you want to wait there is a G-10 Dragonfly coming out. It should be lighter and have some jimping. It's not my cup of tea but would be more like the Caly3 assuming yours isn't the carbon fiber edition.
Pneumothorax

Post by Pneumothorax »

Im in the same boat with the office environment. Agreed to all on SS Dragonfly, Kopa and Spin. Spin used as money clip give a really non-threatening excuse to carry something small around. The Kopa with its nice scales makes it so 'dressy' that its hard for people to find it threatening. In the end, you cant go wrong with any of these options.
bltkmt

Post by bltkmt »

Thanks, all. Not really into the Dragonfly because of the SS handles...G-10 will be nice. Haven't looked at the Urban yet...I think it will come down to Urban vs. Kopa.
ClockWork

Post by ClockWork »

You guys and your small knives

:p ;)
bh49

Post by bh49 »

bltkmt wrote:G-10 will be nice. Haven't looked at the Urban yet...I think it will come down to Urban vs. Kopa.
If you can afford, I would go for Kopa without a thinking a minute, especially in office environment. Kopa has a lock, bolsters, quite a few handle materials, you can choose from, and looks IMHO much better. If you are not in rush, you can find some Kopas under $130 and much less, Black Quince for $100.
I carry my Kopa for about two years, it is a good knife. I would take Black Quince Kopa for 100 over Urban with street price around $90 any day, any time.
Also Jigged Bone not really expensive as well.
But if you choose Urban, it will not let you down as well. By the way G10 Dragonfly coming out in the near future.
Good luck.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

ClockWork wrote:You guys and your small knives

:p ;)
I'm sitting here with an FRN SE endura on my left hip, a Kris in my right pocket, a ss 'fly on my neck, and an fb01 moran on my right hip. Yep, small knives compared to my CKE beast I like to carry and the tanto I'm getting made :p

and yet I get more reaction around here if I come in dress clothes than I do walking around with everything exposed. Obviously I'm not working in an office environment ;)
Why do people worry more if you argue with your voices than if you just talk with them? What about if you lose those arguements?
spyderHS08

Post by spyderHS08 »

Urban
39 & counting...
:spyder: E3, Para mili, Salt 1 PE, Native, D3 OD, Ladybug, UKPK, Dodo, D4, Tasman, Ladybug Salt, Smallfly, Khukuri, Para Military, USN E4, Persistence, Civilian, Yojimbo, Smallfly, Manix 2 CE, Dodo, Military, D4 , Blackhawk, Pac Salt, Military, Manix 2, Captain, Assist, D'fly PE, Spyderhawk SE, Persian, Lum tanto, Warrior, Lil Temp, Tuff, spyderfly, szabofly, :spyder:

Dodo!
vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

there are also the Salsa, S, and R lines if you can find one. The Q's lock can apparently take a good load but I never pushed the ones I had.
redyps04

Post by redyps04 »

[quote="vampyrewolf"]I'm sitting here with an FRN SE endura on my left hip, a Kris in my right pocket, a ss 'fly on my neck, and an fb01 moran on my right hip. Yep, small knives compared to my CKE beast I like to carry and the tanto I'm getting made :p

Are you by any chance inside of a war zone right now?
redyps04

Post by redyps04 »

vampyrewolf wrote:I'm sitting here with an FRN SE endura on my left hip, a Kris in my right pocket, a ss 'fly on my neck, and an fb01 moran on my right hip. Yep, small knives compared to my CKE beast I like to carry and the tanto I'm getting made :p

and yet I get more reaction around here if I come in dress clothes than I do walking around with everything exposed. Obviously I'm not working in an office environment ;)
Are you by any chance sitting in the middle of war zone right now?
araneae

Post by araneae »

Urban or wait for the G-10 Dragonfly.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Brad S.

Post by Brad S. »

Urban!

Once I get my computer working right I'm gonna load my youtube. Video review of the urban. I compare it with the caly 3 in the video. Ill post it when its done

Edited to Add: Got computer to work, however I wont have time to get the video up until later this evening.
Brad Southard

Southard Knives

"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men," Colossians 3:23
DMgangl

Post by DMgangl »

From the looks the Urban is similar. I carry SE cricket almost all the time. I am buying my GF one and after just looking at one a co-worker is getting once also.

It is a great little knife that is razor sharp and small enough for girls to look at it and think its cute.

DM
Smile, it can always get worse
ozspyder

Post by ozspyder »

Grab one of these :) You'll love them as I do :D

Here is the Black Quince. One of the more affordable yet subtly beautiful ones.

Cheers
Daniel (Certified Persian & Kopa nut)
Facebook profile: https://www.facebook.com/ozspyder
:spyder: I love my: Persians, Kopas, and Lums
:spyder: * Daniel's Spyderco Hoard *
:spyder: * Ozspyder's Kopa Kabana *
bltkmt

Post by bltkmt »

Yes, Datan...it is your photos that got me interested in the Kopa to begin with! I see that a carbon fiber version is coming out soon...would that be preferable to the black quince?
Don Ellis

Post by Don Ellis »

bltkmt wrote:Yes, Datan...it is your photos that got me interested in the Kopa to begin with! I see that a carbon fiber version is coming out soon...would that be preferable to the black quince?
I decided on the Kopa... after buying a SS Ladybug for my keyring, I thought I would buy something else a little larger. Purchased an Etched Dragonfly and a Black Quince Kopa... the Kopa is by far the better knife. Feels better, looks better, and is simply better made in the sense that if I press the back lock, the blade falls, so the tolerances are excellent. Press the Dragonfly lock and you'll be snapping your wrist to get the blade to close (at least on mine).

Another thing I like about the Kopa is that it uses 1/8" steel, as does your Caly3 and my Stretch 2, so it seems more of a match that does the 3/32" Dragonfly.

And beyond all that is the friendly look of the knife if you use it in public.

I could see handing down a Kopa in the family. I wouldn't do that with a Dragonfly.

Good luck with your decision. Don't know what to tell you about the CF version, but I do like the look of the Black Quince and I like the idea of wood and steel together.

Cheers,
Don

P.S. Thanks, as always, to Daniel (datan) for the photos.