question about water/drying off spydies

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
spyderHS08

question about water/drying off spydies

Post by spyderHS08 »

So lets say one of my spyders gets put under running water for cleaning or just dunked in some soapy water then rinsed off w/ clean water. Obviously I'll dry off the blade, handles, and whatever else I can. But what about the liners and everything else. Should I be worried or Can I just let say my para or ukpk dry on a towel or will it rust or damage it? Because the orange g-10 gets a bit dirty and I like to clean out the lock on my para every now and then. Same with the frn spyders can we just rinse em and let em set?

Thanks for your replies, Sorry if I should already know this..lol :o
39 & counting...
:spyder: E3, Para mili, Salt 1 PE, Native, D3 OD, Ladybug, UKPK, Dodo, D4, Tasman, Ladybug Salt, Smallfly, Khukuri, Para Military, USN E4, Persistence, Civilian, Yojimbo, Smallfly, Manix 2 CE, Dodo, Military, D4 , Blackhawk, Pac Salt, Military, Manix 2, Captain, Assist, D'fly PE, Spyderhawk SE, Persian, Lum tanto, Warrior, Lil Temp, Tuff, spyderfly, szabofly, :spyder:

Dodo!
Lord vader

Post by Lord vader »

spyderHS08 wrote:So lets say one of my spyders gets put under running water for cleaning or just dunked in some soapy water then rinsed off w/ clean water. Obviously I'll dry off the blade, handles, and whatever else I can. But what about the liners and everything else. Should I be worried or Can I just let say my para or ukpk dry on a towel or will it rust or damage it? Because the orange g-10 gets a bit dirty and I like to clean out the lock on my para every now and then. Same with the frn spyders can we just rinse em and let em set?

Thanks for your replies, Sorry if I should already know this..lol :o
I personally have never had any problems with liner rust,and never heard any complaints from anyone else.
DFD04

Post by DFD04 »

I've had the lock bar on my Rescue Jr rust, along with the area where the blade and the bar make contact. This was from me getting wet and leaving the knife in the pocket and not allowing it to open up and dry.

I would leave it half open on the towel like you said, or blow some canned air into it to remove the hidden water if you need the knife right away.
:spyder: The peace of heaven is theirs that lift their swords, in such a just and charitable war.
-William Shakespeare :spyder:
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

The knives I carry are very often used for food prep, that means that never get treated with rust preventives and they frequently get washed. My normal regimen is to rinse or wash the knife, then either shake it dry and return it to my pocket or towel it dry and rest it on a shelf. Have never had a production Spyderco develop even a hint of rust. If you live close to the coast, you might need to take a bit better care, high humidity and salt air can cause rust problems even for knives that are never wet.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
duff72

Post by duff72 »

Never an issue on any of my :spyder: knives and i clean them in the sink all the time and mostly towel dry and shake em out occasionally if they get really nasty i wash then blow the muck out with the compressor and repeat as necessary (extreme case). no rust yet been doing it for years
C.O.T.C.O. honorary member
dc50

Post by dc50 »

I been using the Wife's hair dryer, on the coolest setting, works great! :spyder:
dc
JD Spydo

ONLY ZDP-189 ever gave me any bad trouble

Post by JD Spydo »

If I give any of my Spyderco folders of fixed blades a thorough washing I usually just towell dry them and sling off any other excess water droplets. Now if it's a folder we're talking about I will usually use that occasion to lube the moving parts with either Militec or BreakFree.

But I haven't had any corrosion problems with any Spyder except my Caly Jr with the ZDP-189 blade which I cut some tomatoes with and got some really atrocious corrosion like none I've ever seen before or since. I do blame myself on that one for not taking the tomato residue more seriously. But I do think that ZDP-189 is a blade steel that you have to pay serious attention to.

The older steels like AUS-8 and GIN-1 in my opinion were more corrosion resistant than some of the newer steels. There were 2 Spyders I used a lot that had those blade steels and neither one ever showed any signs of corrosion of any type.

Also carrying a folder in your pocket seems to be a great way to absorb any left over moisture or residue.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
spyderHS08

Post by spyderHS08 »

alrighty thanks guys thats along the lines of what I was hoping to hear :)
39 & counting...
:spyder: E3, Para mili, Salt 1 PE, Native, D3 OD, Ladybug, UKPK, Dodo, D4, Tasman, Ladybug Salt, Smallfly, Khukuri, Para Military, USN E4, Persistence, Civilian, Yojimbo, Smallfly, Manix 2 CE, Dodo, Military, D4 , Blackhawk, Pac Salt, Military, Manix 2, Captain, Assist, D'fly PE, Spyderhawk SE, Persian, Lum tanto, Warrior, Lil Temp, Tuff, spyderfly, szabofly, :spyder:

Dodo!