New 1911 (gun pron!)

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
cedjunior

New 1911 (gun pron!)

Post by cedjunior »

Dan Wesson Valor 1911
.45 ACP
Adjustable Combat Nightsights
8+1 capacity
Black Cerakote finish
Canvas Micarta thin grips.

I actually bought this gun back in mid December, but I had to send it back for a refinish due to some defects. Just got it back this week.

First thing I did when I got my hands on it was detail strip it

A lot of fitting went into this gun. For example,the hammer hooks are ground down to exactly .020":

I'm not a big fan of the grips, they soak up dirt and oil and get stained too easily due to their texture. I was thinking of getting some new grips from Esmeralda. I didn't get a change to hit the range yet, too many asshats there on the weekends anyway. Probably sometime next week.

Shike

Post by Shike »

Nice pistola you got there!
Azad

Post by Azad »

I don't have a lot of experience with guns. I've used only 4 pieces when I was with the coast guard, S&W38 (later changed to Taurus 38) and 9mm Glock (later "upgraded" to the USP)... I don't know if this is appropriate but that is a beautiful gun! I understand the micarta stains and all but it does look very nice. The 2 things I love about USA... Free speech and the right to bear arms. Green with envy.

Azad
Blueboost

Post by Blueboost »

Nice 1911. I agree with you on the grips, though. Some carbon fiber might look super nice with that finish, for the stealth look?

cr78

Post by cr78 »

Blueboost wrote:Nice 1911. I agree with you on the grips, though. Some carbon fiber might look super nice with that finish, for the stealth look?

That, sir, is a stellar looking setup.
Shike

Post by Shike »

Blueboost

Nice! But if I needed that much hardware I would stay home :D . Great looking rig!
Mancer

Post by Mancer »

I miss my Glock 21 :( , shes back in South Africa.
Looking at getting one this side shortly soon as my finances are in order.
Looking at either a Glock 21SF or a Glock 36.

I do love the 13+1 capacity of the Glock 21 but it is a big sucker to carry around.
The Glock 36 though is an awesome size, yet again so many choices, never enough cash :P

Will post pix soon as I get her n all my extra's.

Cheers n nice 1911!

Sheldon
It's Time To Kick @$$ 'N Chew Bubble Gum
dialex

Post by dialex »

Nice assortment, congratulations on your new piece ;)
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
type00rev

Post by type00rev »

Very nice gun. Are those sites by Trijicon, or proprietary?
:spyder:Harpy SS| :spyder:S90VCF Millie| :spyder:C36GPBK Millie| :spyder:C51GPFG Rookie| :spyder:C122GP Tenacious| :spyder:MT02 CPM-M4 x2| :spyder:MT03 CPM-S90V| :spyder:C81FG Para| :spyder:C81GSBK Para| :spyder:C95GPFG Manix #044V

Schoolboy Samurai||
losabio

Post by losabio »

Congrats, that's a beauty! The checkered front strap and polished muzzle are nice touches. Have you ever tried an arched mainspring housing? Are you going to leave the 80's Series safety stuff in?
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Love these gun threads!

Blueboost, is that a detonics setup? Reminds me of better days. Joe
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
cedjunior

Post by cedjunior »

type00rev wrote:Very nice gun. Are those sites by Trijicon, or proprietary?
Champion sights with Trijicon vials.
cedjunior

Post by cedjunior »

losabio wrote:Congrats, that's a beauty! The checkered front strap and polished muzzle are nice touches. Have you ever tried an arched mainspring housing? Are you going to leave the 80's Series safety stuff in?
I've tried arched, but not really a fan of it. There is no series 80 or any other firing pin safety stuff to eliminate. Straight series 70 style.
losabio

Post by losabio »

cedjunior wrote:I've tried arched, but not really a fan of it. There is no series 80 or any other firing pin safety stuff to eliminate. Straight series 70 style.
Good deal on the firing pin. I never thought about it, but I guess I sort of agree with you about the flat mainspring housing on single stacks, whereas I really like the arch on double stack 1911s. Weird!
Shike

Post by Shike »

Here is one of mine
Domanfp

Post by Domanfp »

those are some nice looking 1911's. I have alwyas liked them and they fit my hand very well but the money is just never there :(
-Frank

Delica and Endura are great knives! They're the low priced crack samples that'll get you hooked on spyderco! Feed the need!
-Michael Cook
Billy

Post by Billy »

Congrats on the new Valor! Beautiful gun. I have a few Colt 1911's as well and it is one of my favorite handgun platforms.
I prefer to ask for forgiveness rather than permission.
I LOVE MY MILLIES
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Shenmue728

Post by Shenmue728 »

Domanfp wrote:those are some nice looking 1911's. I have alwyas liked them and they fit my hand very well but the money is just never there :(
Same here. When i do i'll need more to get some of the awesome mods I've seen here though :D carbon fiber grips?!?! :eek: :eek: :eek:
[CENTER]:spyder::spyder:Spyderco C.O.T.C.O.:spyder::spyder:[/CENTER]