going price of the matriarch

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
amen74

Post by amen74 »

duff72 wrote:wow that is a steal, any pics that has been on my want list for a while just cant find one reasonably priced
Sometimes it's all a matter of being in the right place at the right time. :)

Aaron

Current EDCs: Golden models
:spyder: FG D2 Military:cool: Orange UKPK:spyder:

NEXT: Rock Lobster, Manix2, TiMil
Mike Sastre

Post by Mike Sastre »

"Commonly discussed" and actuality a lot of times don't jibe. I've been wearing a grey Matriarch since they came out with the special BF issue. Have three more in the safe. At that time the black Matriarch was not available in the U.S., only in South Africa, so I was in negotiation with a fellow over there to get one, but before the deal went through, Spyderco decided to put it in the line-up. A lot of wrong ideas, concepts, etc. get "commonly discussed". Doesn't make them right.
Fairlane

Post by Fairlane »

After looking into this when Mike posted his info, i believe he is correct.
I am fairly sure due to the different bladesteels.

All info here: http://www.spydiewiki.com/index.php?title=C12_Civilian
Henning
Certified :spyder: addict

Help out at: http://www.spydiewiki.com for everyone's benefit!
rycen

Post by rycen »

Here a few quotes from Sal that might help

"01-07-2006, 11:16 AM
Sal Glesser
Moderator Join Date: Dec 1998

Hi guys,

The Matriarch was created and produced for Spyderco's South African Distributor. The name "Matriarch" is the leader of the elephant herd, always the wisest female in the herd. (Males are expelled from the herd when they begin to "must". a gland secretion above their eyes that indicates they are ready to mate).

We made a 500 piece run in a gray version primarily for the forumites. The black version had more pieces, but still not over 1500. Most went to South Africa.

The knife was built primarily for women as Bruce Wentzel was teaching a SD class that the knife was created for. The Spyderhawk became the next variation on the same theme for the same customer and the same reasons.

Again a 500 pice blue version was made for forumites. The majority of those also went to South Africa.

Hope that helps.

sal"

" 04-22-2001, 10:44 PM
Sal Glesser

It was produced to provide women in South Africa with effective defense. There is currently a problem with violence in South Africa, especially for women.

sal"

"04-24-2001, 11:04 PM
Sal Glesser

Hi Royo. Aaahhhhh...The Matriarch....Sal's headache #31.

Yes, we're making them.
They are in the dealer catalog, but not in the ELU catalog (PDR).
We will be making greater quantities than the Civilian but not huge amounts.

They are not guaranteed for general utility use.
In the US, they are promoted only to LEOs, but they are available, just harder to find.

I would hold onto the gray one. We only made 500 pcs for the Spyderco forum on Bladeforum. Have no plans to make any more.

sal"

"04-25-2001, 03:54 PM
Sal Glesser

The gray ones were sold in USA only (ex ept for forumites overseas).

Black Matriarchs were shipped to South Africa, Israel and Germany. I believe that now we're shipping more countries.

sal"

"09-09-1999, 12:57 AM
Sal Glesser

Bladeforums Spyderco Matriarch

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Spyderco produced a new model that is not available in the USA. When the forumites heard about the knife, (from a South African forumite) they requested that Spyderco produce an off color version for forumites.

Spyderco produced a gray handled version that is available to registered forumites only. Since there is some question about Manufactuers using the General Forum to sell wares, please go the the Spyderco forum for info on how to obtain a BF Matriarch. Thank you.
sal"
We would rather be the knife in your pocket, because is "works" better, than the knife in your showcase, because it "looks" better.

sal
rycen

Post by rycen »

Another quote from Sal

"08-12-1999, 11:15 PM
Sal Glesser

The knife was originally designed for South Africa.

The "Matriarch" is the name of the leader of the Elephant herd. She leads the herd with experience, wisdom and courage.

The African Elephant is somewhat unique. They have no natural enemies (except humans) which places them at the top of the food chain in their environment. Although they eat the lowest of the environment in shrubs and bark. Kind of like "looping" the food chain. They can move their immense bulk through the bush silently. They grow until they die and cause of death is starvation because their teeth wear out.

The original design had sculptured elephants on each side (each being different). Tooling costs and SKU numbers dictated that we use the Endura handle.

The name was the result of respect for the elephant in South Africa, the "original" handle design. Combined with the more "peacekeeping" spirit of the blade design (as opposed to an aggressive "Martial" spirit). And as a tribute to the superiority of the elephant in it's environment. (Spyderco donates to the anti poaching arm of the South African Govt.) Hope that helps.

sal"
We would rather be the knife in your pocket, because is "works" better, than the knife in your showcase, because it "looks" better.

sal
Fairlane

Post by Fairlane »

THAT just went into my archives, Ryan!

Thanks!
Henning
Certified :spyder: addict

Help out at: http://www.spydiewiki.com for everyone's benefit!
Stevie Ray

Post by Stevie Ray »

Thanks Mike and Ryan. I stand corrected.
Steve
JD Spydo

Sprint Run for the Matriarch: I say yea!!!!

Post by JD Spydo »

You guys probably just drove up the price of the Gray Matriarch by at least 80% to 150% :D . But what the heck that won't stop any of us now will it :D ????

This grand old Matriarch is truly one Spyderco model that desperately needs a Sprint Run done. Maybe even a 100 or so in plain edge ;) . How about the other 400 in SE and a orange FRN handle :cool: .
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
El Tigre

Post by El Tigre »

If Sal put a Matriarch blade in a enduraIV handle, I would be very happy. That could be one of the best self defense knives ever made.

"El Tigre"
Folding knives can be classified in two large groups: Spydercos and the rest!

Please be patient, I dont speak english properly.
duff72

Post by duff72 »

that grey matriarch just went for 144.05 on e bay - I missed the end of the auction :mad: but if someone here got it congrats. i thought it ended later
C.O.T.C.O. honorary member