Very interesting design

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Mancer

Very interesting design

Post by Mancer »

Hi all

I just stumbled across a very interesting design, it is a modification as such on the old Marbles Secure Lock.
What I'm referring to is the Benchmade LFK (Large Folding Knife), I like the way of having a large blade in a small handle.
They have a Zytel guard that is connected to the blade so that it folds up into the handle as it it opened, and out as it is closed.

I've ordered one to check it out, I'm not to sure of the liner lock (or the thickness of it from the pictures) for such a large hefty blade, but I do like the concept.

I'm thinking especially for EDC/defensive carry, it already has that great bowie like shape, but as much as I'd like to sharpen the false edge, that liner lock would make me paranoid if ever attempting back-cut's with it.
If it had a good strong MBC lock(maybe even a strong frame lock), I think something like this based on the old Marbles design could really be a work of art...

Any opinions on the design?

Cheers

Sheldon
Attachments
bmlfk.JPG
bmlfk.JPG (43.2 KiB) Viewed 2581 times
It's Time To Kick @$$ 'N Chew Bubble Gum
ChaosSpear

Post by ChaosSpear »

to me that looks like it could get annoying, the end of handle in the middle of the blade, if that makes sense.

but ive found that once you use anything enough, it becomes pretty second nature.
Proud owner of a meadowlark g10!! :spyder:

slice22358 wrote:You and your ball lock obsession:D
:rolleyes: Guilty :p
Mancer

Post by Mancer »

Ye it does make sense, I'll be curious to check it out when it arrives, to see just how much of a pain it will be in the pocket as well.

What drew me to the design was the concept of an extending handle so that you can carry a large folding blade without making a massive handle to cover it all.

Will post my thoughts once I get it and have chance to play around with it, I'm hoping the Liner Lock is decent but from what I've seen and a few posted comments, I dont think its of adequate strength for that blade if some knocks happen to the spine.

That blade folding in on my fingers I'm sure would make for some "delightful conversation" from me :P

Cheers

Sheldon
dialex

Post by dialex »

I remember I've seen a similar concept some time ago. It was made by Paul Chen, IIRC.
Yup, here it is:
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
Mancer

Post by Mancer »

Nice, thanks for that Dialex.

Very cool :P

Cheers

Sheldon
RazorSharp86

Post by RazorSharp86 »

Hey!
I've got an LFK. I use it every time I go fishing / hunting / general outdoors trip. It's a great knife, and solide when closed and open. The blade is a little on the thin side, made with 440c, but holds up well. The only concern for the long run, may be the liner lock. IMPO
Mancer

Post by Mancer »

RazorSharp86 wrote:Hey!
I've got an LFK. I use it every time I go fishing / hunting / general outdoors trip. It's a great knife, and solide when closed and open. The blade is a little on the thin side, made with 440c, but holds up well. The only concern for the long run, may be the liner lock. IMPO
Yes thats my concern on it as well.
From pictures it appears like it could fail under a good hit on the spine.

It looks like a very interesting model, love the look of it!

Cheers n thanks

Sheldon
araneae

Post by araneae »

The idea is actually quite old. I have seen old folding Bowie type knives with the swing guard in a museum in Columbus.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Mancer

Post by Mancer »

araneae wrote:The idea is actually quite old. I have seen old folding Bowie type knives with the swing guard in a museum in Columbus.
Indeed, Ive seen the old Marbles Safety Lock, the problem with them was it was a pain to get the blade out and push the blade guard in. (and vica versa)
Good idea though, especially since the older models actually used this metal guard kind of like a Liner Lock to push up against the Tang to stop it closing.

The mechanics that BM have put in to connect the blade to the guard is pretty cool.
Since there are not many folding Bowies of adequate lock strength or length for Back-Cuts, I thought something like this built stronger may just be a perfect solution. :)

Cheers

Sheldon
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

i guess that, looking at this knife closely, the design seems less ridiculous than it did the first time i encountered it. (on a fillet knife, i think?).

but then, if i'm going to carry something with a blade over 5 inches, it's probably going to be a fixed blade. :D
:spyder: :spyder: :spyder:
RazorSharp86

Post by RazorSharp86 »

I've used the knife a whole lot during camp trips. The lock would ONLY fail when you hit it, and IF you hit it, very darn hard on the spine... many times over. Though overall it's not a heavy user. The blade is VERY thin for such a big knife. A fixed blade ,indeed, would be better for a purpose anybody would want such a big knife for.
It is a great knife to use for cooking outdoors though. Since I usually don't want to use my user, or my survival knife with my food, I use LFK. I think it's also dirt cheap.