Spyderco Outlet--Should I go?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jasonklass

Spyderco Outlet--Should I go?

Post by jasonklass »

I've recently discovered that I live only 20 min. away from the Spyderco outlet in Golden, CO. Has anyone been there and gotten a good deal? Should I go--is it worth it? I'm looking for an Atlantic Salt on the cheap and am wondering if I would get a better deal there than on eBay. :confused:
My Blog: Tenkara Talk
GoMeR

Post by GoMeR »

Should you go, a lot of people consider going to Spyderco an opportunity of a lifetime, Yes you should go! If I lived that close they would be sick of me by now! :D I think the best deals are to be had at the yearly factory sale, some of the deals other forum members got are unbelievable! Hopefully I can arrange to attend next years sale, if they have one!
jasonklass

Open Invitation

Post by jasonklass »

Ok then. I'll check it out next weekend. Also, as an open invitation to all the other members of the forum, if you are looking for a specific blade and want me to see if they have it at the outlet or at the annual sale, I'd be happy to look for it for you. Just let me know what you want, I'll see if they have it, and then we can make arrangements.

Wow, I didn't know I was this lucky! I literally drove by it the other day accidentally and saw it for the first time! Who would have known?
Shenmue728

Post by Shenmue728 »

Wow, i can only think of how small my wallet would be if i lived that close... :rolleyes: I've heard the factory outlet sells at 25% off msrp. Whether its cheaper than ebay or not, I feel it would be worth it to leave with the knife you wanted when you paid instead of the uneasy delivery wait time. Hope you find what you are looking for.
[CENTER]:spyder::spyder:Spyderco C.O.T.C.O.:spyder::spyder:[/CENTER]
JBE

Post by JBE »

Even if you walk away empty-handed I'd think it would be worth the short drive. Lot of us would love to go there but live much too far away. :(

Should you go? You mean you even have to ask? :p
Jason
MG_Saldivar

Post by MG_Saldivar »

I live in the Denver metro and have been to the SFO several times. The pricing is usually higher than the deals one can get from the better rated eBay sellers or the well-known e-tailers like NGK. I assume this is because Spyderco doesn't want to undercut its dealers.

Personally, I don't mind paying more than I 'should' every now and again because the SFO staff is outstanding - they've never complained when I obsessively paw through every unit of every model I wanted to buy so I could feel I was getting the 'best one.' I've even gotten some knives sharpened while I browsed.

If the store happens to have any discontinued or clearance items, you can get those for very reasonable prices. I bought my first Byrds on clearance from the SFO. I also bought a factory second Kopa (turquoise) that I would not have been able to afford if I had wanted a 'first.'

Finally, the SFO stocks some non-knife items that seem hard to find, such as non-Sharpmaker sharpening stones and related supplies.
amen74

Post by amen74 »

Jason, if I lived as close as you do to the SFO, I would be there every week!
Aaron

Current EDCs: Golden models
:spyder: FG D2 Military:cool: Orange UKPK:spyder:

NEXT: Rock Lobster, Manix2, TiMil
cougar337

Post by cougar337 »

I would certinaly pay a visit and I agree with others, there prices are discounted but may not be as good as getting it online but it's really neat to be able to handle so many different Spidies. I almost always walk away with something and it is cool see other non-knife items such as posters, books, pins, etc.

The staff there is so helpful and very nice, willing to let you handle anything your heart desires.

Don't expect a factory tour, I know they get asked alot and I really wish they would change this but some day, some day maybe they will ;)
- Ian
See pictures of my Spydies at Cougar337's Den[/size] :spyder:

Wire Clips and Little Big knives....keep 'em coming!
duff72

Post by duff72 »

Definite Yes- i wish i was able to go but way too far
ClockWork

Post by ClockWork »

Oh yeah.

Don't go there looking to find a bargain, sometimes they have specials that are OK.
But think of it more as trip to Spyderco it self. A chance to see all the knives, and to chat with some knowlagable and kind Spydie people.

You will have a good time, even if you don't end up with anything

-Clock
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

Sure, rub it in, why don't ya! :D

Hope you have a good time!
dialex

Post by dialex »

amen74 wrote:Jason, if I lived as close as you do to the SFO, I would be there every week!
So would I, my friend, so would I.
Does this answer your question? :p
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
telemeister

Post by telemeister »

Man, I could only imagine how many knives I would have if I lived that close! I would be there at least 3 or 4 times a week!
Top :spyder:s : Caly 3, Stretch, Millie, Manix 2, Police, Kopa, Polliwog, Meerkat, Chinook III, and SuperHawk.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Click the pic to see my :spyder:
bowarrow2000

Post by bowarrow2000 »

Go by all means. You don't have to buy but you will have the chance to see the knives, feel them in your hand and so on. See and feel before you buy and you will be happier with your purchase.
araneae

Post by araneae »

Serious? If I lived that close they'd have to kick me out of the joint every night. By all means go and tell us about it.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
kankryb

Post by kankryb »

If I had any money I would fly to the US just to see spyderco but spend it all on knives :D but one fine day :)
169 :spyder: and always room for one more :D
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

If I lived that close, I'd be on my third restraining order by now! ;) :D

You don't go for the 'deals', you go for the selection and you stay for the company. The staff and fellow knifeknuts I meet there are always the things I remember most from my handful of visits.

Wouter
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
spydutch

Post by spydutch »

I don't know if it would be all that good for me if I lived that close :eek: :eek: :D
Arend(old school Spydie lover)

MEMBER OF THE INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE!!!

VERY PROUD OWNER OF A CALY III/SE #043 :D

....AND A FG(PARA) MILITARY/SE IN CPMD2(thanx Sal):cool:

...I would love to have one in full SpyderEdge:p
jasonklass

UPDATE: Just got back from the Outlet

Post by jasonklass »

Well, I just got back and have to say I was somewhat disappointed. The prices weren't as good as I thought they would be. I have seen much better deals on eBay. For example, they had my Delica for at $69, but I got the same one on eBay for $40 with minimal shipping and no tax. Oh well. :(
cr78

Post by cr78 »

What did their "factory seconds" selection look like? How were the prices on those?