Took a trip up to the Factory Outlet this weekend

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
cougar337

Took a trip up to the Factory Outlet this weekend

Post by cougar337 »

Mods: please move if this post isn't in the right forum.

I honestly don't get up there enough especially when it's nearly right in my back yard. I was really happy to see some models I have been meaning to try in my hand. You can read review after review and look through pictures and it can't really match having the knife in your hands to give you that over all feel.

Anyway, I got a couple of pictures and I look back and wish I would have took more.

Not sure when they changed the color of the signs out front but I really like it and it's much easier to see from the road.

These have been discussed before but I find them interesting. These are custom knives made by Jean-Marc Laroche. Find them ugly, find them neat...either way they are conversation pieces

I also know these WTC knives have been out for a while but they had a really nice display shown here and with a cut-out from the steel they used on the D'Allara. They also have a beautiful display showing actual pieces of the steel beams that you can touch and reflect on. I'll have to get pictures of that set up next time.

One of the knives I held that I instantly fell in love with is the Phoenix!! I had to wait on this one till next pay day.

But I did not go home alone. Picked up a few goodies!!

CF Sage. I LOVE THIS KNIFE....

My first Kopa

Spyderco Bug! these are really fun novelty items. I posted more pictures here http://spyderco.com/forums/showthread.p ... 588&page=2
cougar337

Post by cougar337 »

This was a freebie!! They were giving these byrds away if you spent over $100. This is my first Byrd and I'm excited to try it out!
RIOT

Post by RIOT »

dang i wish i lived close to this place :( , pretty sweet stuff, how is the bug knife ? by the look of your pics it looks not only small but real thin too ?
Bluntrauma

Post by Bluntrauma »

Thanks cougar this is the closest I'll ever get to Golden. Nice haul btw.
Sometimes you gotta kick at the darkness until it bleeds daylight.

AKA: Liveitloud on Blade Forums, USN, EDC, Benchmade forums and basically everywhere but here.
liveit_loud on Ebay.
cougar337

Post by cougar337 »

RIOT wrote:dang i wish i lived close to this place :( , pretty sweet stuff, how is the bug knife ? by the look of your pics it looks not only small but real thin too ?
I really like the bug. I think the SS handle is great and sturdy, the blade is small and thin but still decent quality. I don't it'll hold up for long cutting cardboard boxes but that's not what they were meant for. I think they are still well worth the $7.95 MSRP. I made the mistake of being a first adopter and paid $21 each for 3 of them before I knew the MSRP
RIOT

Post by RIOT »

cougar337 wrote:I really like the bug. I think the SS handle is great and sturdy, the blade is small and thin but still decent quality. I don't it'll hold up for long cutting cardboard boxes but that's not what they were meant for. I think they are still well worth the $7.95 MSRP
7.95 ? is that how much they cost ? i just paid 17.95 at Spydieguys, either way they are pretty cool, did they say if they were just a limited production item only ?
cougar337

Post by cougar337 »

RIOT wrote:7.95 ? is that how much they cost ? i just paid 17.95 at Spydieguys, either way they are pretty cool, did they say if they were just a limited production item only ?
I just edited my post. I did the same thing and bought them from Spidieguys before knowing the MSRP :( oh well. These in the photo I bought from the SFO for less, much less. I don't know the whole story on them, just that they are meant to be fun items for spydie nuts like us
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

If I lived close to Spyderco they would get tired of seeing me.

Thanks for the pics.
"A Delica is still a better weapon than a keyboard and a sour attitude..." Michael Janich
Brad S.

Post by Brad S. »

Just thought I would add. The reason they are more expensive from SpydieGuys is because of the Ball chain that comes with them... Those chains are actually pretty expensive. And are in actual fact about $10 thus explaining the price difference. That said... I also got some from Spydie Guys :D
Brad Southard

Southard Knives

"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men," Colossians 3:23
A.P.F.

Post by A.P.F. »

You are kill'n me here, Cougar! I have always wanted to visit Colorado and when you post pictures of 'knife Mecca', I want to scream in frustration.

Post some more. :)
Regards, Al

The "soul" of hi-tech materials like G-10, H1, ZDP, Titanium, carbon fiber, etc is found in the performance. That appreciation of the "spirit" comes out in time, after use. It's saying, you can depend on me! I'm there for you no matter what! - Sal Glesser
cougar337

Post by cougar337 »

Tricod wrote:Just thought I would add. The reason they are more expensive from SpydieGuys is because of the Ball chain that comes with them... Those chains are actually pretty expensive. And are in actual fact about $10 thus explaining the price difference. That said... I also got some from Spydie Guys :D
That makes sense, thanks for explaining. Either way I don't regret my purchase.
ClockWork

Post by ClockWork »

RIOT wrote:7.95 ? is that how much they cost ? i just paid 17.95 at Spydieguys,.....
Ahhh! Capitalism sucks!! :p :

**** that "S" in "MSRP"!!!

JK

:p :p ;) ;)

-Clock
:) Favorites: Black Paramil w/ D2 blade, PE Mini-Manix, S90v Military, Civilian, SE Dodo, PE Police, Sage

Vist my eBay store: Life and Liberty Gear
Tactical & MOLLE gear, Headgear and more

stores.ebay.com/Life-and-Liberty-Gear
cougar337

Post by cougar337 »

One thing that I wish they would do is start offering tours of the factory. I understand why they don't now and I'm sure it has to do with insurance reasons but even just a window into the factory would be cool! So how about it Sal? Can we have a glimpse into the magic of Spyderco??
cougar337

Post by cougar337 »

on the positive note I did see some of the inside of the factory while watching Cool Tools. love the laser cutter!
cougar337

Post by cougar337 »

I went back up and took a couple more photos of the SFO and thought I would share.

more of the display of the WTC steel

There's a very interesting case displaying Natives and there are quite a few in here I have never seen or 1-offs

There are some WONDERFUL people that work behind the counter and love to help you every step of the way. They are willing to take anything out of the case to let you fondle and admire before you buy or continue to dream!
- Ian
See pictures of my Spydies at Cougar337's Den[/size] :spyder:

Wire Clips and Little Big knives....keep 'em coming!
Blueboost

Post by Blueboost »

Thanks for sharing, really enjoyed seeing this stuff!
Free Radical

Post by Free Radical »

Spyderco should make some sort of virtual tour of this place so we all can visit on our computers if we can't make the trip out.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I always liked the looks of that Native chief. Nice pictures, thanks. Joe
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
amen74

Post by amen74 »

Thanks for sharing your photos Cougar. Maybe I'll get there one day!
Aaron

Current EDCs: Golden models
:spyder: FG D2 Military:cool: Orange UKPK:spyder:

NEXT: Rock Lobster, Manix2, TiMil
telemeister

Post by telemeister »

OMG!! :eek: Spydie heaven. I would love to visit one day, sadly Australia is a very, VERY long way from Golden!
Top :spyder:s : Caly 3, Stretch, Millie, Manix 2, Police, Kopa, Polliwog, Meerkat, Chinook III, and SuperHawk.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Click the pic to see my :spyder: