Hawaii following the Brits into knife ban inasanity!?!?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
potterma

Hawaii following the Brits into knife ban inasanity!?!?

Post by potterma »

If you are not aware of this, there is currently a bill in the Hawaii State Legislature that would BAN ALL pocket knives.

Summary Page

There are links at the top of the page to download text of the actual bill.

Here is a link to the bill in pdf form

Here is an article in Blade_Mag. A letter from AKTI to the Senator (Ihara).

This stupid **** needs to be STOPPED!

Spread the word.

Write this Ihara character! ESPECIALLY if you are in HI.
www.KnifeRights.org
By Knife Owners. For Knife Owners.

CLB Designs

My Flickr Page
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Roger that..I'm gonna get the word out on this one for sure....Absurd!...Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

YIKES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

calling CLB, calling CLB...!!!!
:spyder: :spyder: :spyder:
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

clovisc wrote:YIKES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

calling CLB, calling CLB...!!!!
Chad already knows. He emailed me about it a week or so back.

In one sense it's a frightening vision of where things could go, a prime example of "be careful what you wish for", as it's the ultimate "no grey areas subject to interpretation by the cop on the beat or the judge" knife law.

Am hoping this is just a case of one isolated idiot in the legislature. Assuming the HI senate works like ours here in NY, any member can introduce a bill. Unless it's promoting something so politically incorrect that nobody even close to being in their right mind would touch it with a ten foot pole, someone else will "second" it out of courtesy, if nothing else. Getting it brought to a vote in committee is another story. Most of the really dumb ones don't even get that far. The few that do generally get voted down and or fail to get a matching bill submitted and passed in the other chamber, or the governor has the good sense to veto them.

None of that is to suggest anyone not bother to write Senator Ihara and express their dismay, just to put the bills chances of becoming law, at least this year, in perspective.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Lord vader

Post by Lord vader »

There are enough people out there that wont vote for a ban,There are enough knife lovers out there that wont let it happen.
Lord vader

Post by Lord vader »

I think that move would be political suicide,It would destroy there economy even further,lost tax revenue`s from all the knife sales,It would put the local knife dealers out of work,more laid off workers as a result,With the economy the way it is now.Like i said that would be political suicide for the person trying to push this rediculous ban.
Jamie n

Post by Jamie n »

Its pretty bad over here (UK) and the general attitude to knives from the media and the like is not a good one, but we don't have a total ban on carrying pocket knives.

Slip joints etc are allowed if they are under 3 inch (look no further than the UKPK) but for how long that remains, i don't know...

Anybody know why the government could be taking this stance, i always thought that the US and surrounding areas had a more relaxed view to carrying knives?
Lord vader

Post by Lord vader »

Jamie n wrote:Its pretty bad over here (UK) and the general attitude to knives from the media and the like is not a good one, but we don't have a total ban on carrying pocket knives.

Slip joints etc are allowed if they are under 3 inch (look no further than the UKPK) but for how long that remains, i don't know...

Anybody know why the government could be taking this stance, i always thought that the US and surrounding areas had a more relaxed view to carrying knives?
Most places here in the states has a 3" blade limit.It would be very difficult to push a complete ban on knives.Even if they did,there would still be a lot of people who will not give up there knives,and something like this would be an enforcement nightmare.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

potterma wrote: there is currently a bill in the Hawaii State Legislature that would BAN ALL pocket knives.

Sometimes I wonder: don't these politician have something more important to do? Especially in the current time.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Piet.S

Post by Piet.S »

bh49 wrote:Sometimes I wonder: don't these politician have something more important to do? Especially in the current time.
They are working on their own carreer, most importent.
This madness spreads like the plague, we also have a change of law coming.
We already know it will hit bali's and auto's but no one knows where it ends.
All your knifelinks, http://www.knifelinksportal.com
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

sounds like knife-carrying hawaiians with a track record of voting need to start contacting their political representatives ASAP.
:spyder: :spyder: :spyder:
Lord vader

Post by Lord vader »

clovisc wrote:sounds like knife-carrying hawaiians with a track record of voting need to start contacting their political representatives ASAP.
Thats a good starting point. :)
dialex

Post by dialex »

History has already shown that after banning knives criminality diminished tremendously... :rolleyes: I am glad to see that politicians have learned this lesson and keep up the good work. :mad:
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
wescobts

Post by wescobts »

It sounds so absurd, is this just pork ? or is this a general conception that knives/tools are at the root of violence ?
learning it the hard way... :rolleyes:
brandonreed2008

Post by brandonreed2008 »

wow.. their should be a revolution! :)
War is mostly waiting.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

wow.. their should be a revolution!
Everybody should be involved in politics at some level. Consider it a civic duty. Not being involved in the process, sitting back and complaining makes no sense to me personally.

Yes, knives and guns, anything in the bill of rights needs to be defended, but more than that, you need to be involved somewhere, somehow. Legally, within the system I mean. Joe
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
spyderHS08

Post by spyderHS08 »

Man I hope that does not go through, thats ridiculous!
Thank god for Kansas i guess! anything under 4 in here (besides butterfly knives and what not), so i can carry all my knives wherever I want :cool:
39 & counting...
:spyder: E3, Para mili, Salt 1 PE, Native, D3 OD, Ladybug, UKPK, Dodo, D4, Tasman, Ladybug Salt, Smallfly, Khukuri, Para Military, USN E4, Persistence, Civilian, Yojimbo, Smallfly, Manix 2 CE, Dodo, Military, D4 , Blackhawk, Pac Salt, Military, Manix 2, Captain, Assist, D'fly PE, Spyderhawk SE, Persian, Lum tanto, Warrior, Lil Temp, Tuff, spyderfly, szabofly, :spyder:

Dodo!
RIOT

Post by RIOT »

im starting to hate our country in many ways, too many idiots with power and no sense, soon theyll ban guns and make people helpess while crooks with illegal guns stick us up, its the end times literally
zenheretic

Post by zenheretic »

bh49 wrote:Sometimes I wonder: don't these politician have something more important to do? Especially in the current time.
No they really don't. That is the problem with year around legislatures/congress. If they are in session they gonna be trying to make new laws, that is what they do. IMO, most of the good laws were already done long ago. Don't steal, don't kill, a modest tax to build roads and schools. Other than a bit of bookeeping such as adjusting laws to fit changes in technology they shouldn't be in session much. I'm always glad when lawmakers are on vacation, the longer the better. At least for that time period my rights are more less the same. ;)
Follow the mushin, but pay it no heed.
Lord vader

Post by Lord vader »

RIOT wrote:im starting to hate our country in many ways, too many idiots with power and no sense, soon theyll ban guns and make people helpess while crooks with illegal guns stick us up, its the end times literally
I don`t hate our country,just certain individuals and people with power who are trying to infringe on our rights to carry. The person responsible for trying to push a total ban is definitely not thinking of the economic impact it would cause.There definitely not thinking this thing through.Someone just had a bee in there bonnet. :eek: