Tactical

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

You could look at "tactical knife" as you would "survival knife"... whatever knife you happen to have on you at the time a situation or crisis happens.

Guess you could say that "tactical" would be taking something "everyday" and "reinforcing" it to take, and dish out, additional punishment. A luxuary yacht is "everyday pleasure"... adding guns and armor platting to it makes it a "tactical gunboat". A standard C-130 is a cargo plane... adding a 25mm Gatling gun, a 40mm cannon, and a 105 howitzer makes it a gunship. Taking a Delica 3, adding nestled steel liners, incorporating PB washers, thicken the tip, and you have a "tougher" Delica 4, which, you could say, is a bit more "tactical" than its predecessor.
rainbow stalker

Post by rainbow stalker »

I can remember going tactical before going out on patrol. Your senses became very sharp, eyesight at night becomes very fixed and alert, my hearing became so profound that I could hear a twig snap at over 200 meters.

I would be dressed all in camo, with OD green jungle boots, every part of my body that showed any skin was camo'd all equipment was checked and rechecked so no sounds could not be heard then I would check it all again.
Then I would check and talk to each of my men. And hear what they had to say.

Then it was time to read the OP order, issue passwords and such say a prayer. Then saddle up, lock and load, and go hunting.

NOW THATS TACTICAL
Proud to be the adopted father of:

Caly 3 CF
Delica 4 p and ce
Native pe
Tenatious se Bird raven combo
A warm and just thank you for the froum friends who came to me in my time of crisis.It proves that there are still wonderfull human beings in our world.:):)

And still looking for a replacement of my dads Randall 1 combat knife that he left to me. any help would be aapreiceated. I could never afford one, but if any members have any ideas or advice. Please let me know. Thanks
A. Stanton

Post by A. Stanton »

Tactical to me means Hollywood. Most everything tactical is black and durable. I know some experts think the minimal blade length to kill someone is 3.5 inches. I attached a pic of a lip stick knife next to my Police for scale. I saw a video on sharp-edged weapons awhile back. A police officer was interviewed in the video and related how a similar lip stick knife was wielded by a hooker he was arresting. When she got done with him, he needed over 100 stitches. All this damage was done with a blade a shade over 1 inch.
Attachments
Lip Stick Knife.jpg
Lip Stick Knife.jpg (32.35 KiB) Viewed 993 times
AH2525

Post by AH2525 »

I agree with the overuse arguement. It does seem nowadays that every knife/gun/flashlight is tactical and that every trainer, gun school owner, etc is an "operator". I think it is sad because it diminishes those real men and women who truly are the "tactical operators" that allow the rest of us to sleep in peace, enjoy freedom, and have a good life.

I am the first to admit that the only thing I am an "operator" of is the remote or the microwave and the most tactical I get is cutting up the latest toy box from my kid so it can fit in the garbage bin. And God bless those of you who "save and serve" to keep it that way!
vito72

Post by vito72 »

i dont know what exactly mean tactical but when i read such word this is one of the object i think....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etB45dTR1BI&NR=1
antoine

Post by antoine »

Tactical, for me, is the capacity to adapt yourself at any situation... not a good term for objects. A knife, a piece of paper, a watch... could be in your tactical way if you have it when you need it. Every object you use to adapt your life to your environement is "tactical".
Thanks "Fred Perrin" and Myamoto Musashi :D
dialex

Post by dialex »

I agree that the mind is the most important weapon, with training having a pretty significant role.
However, we are talking about specialized tools here. Indeed, any knife can be used as a last resort weapon or survival tool, but some knives are better at certain tasks than others. Just like you can't use a Rambo knife to pull out a cork from a bottle or open a can, it's equally true that you can't use a SAK to cut barbed wire or pry a door open.
And here comes the tactical gear in action. So a tactical knife, IMHO, should comply to a few simple rules:
It should be strong. Stronger than average, I mean. Either fixed or, if it's a folder, with a strong lock designed in such a manner to minimize accidental closing.
The blade should be strong as well. Rather thick, with a geometry oriented towards cutting and slashing rather than slicing, with an obtuze tip - that's why tanto blades are so abbundent in the so called tactical market.
Fuller(s) may be provided for balance (I agree that sometimes they go waay too far with them, I've seen "U" or "J" shaped fullers) :eek: .
It is not unusual to see several grind patterns on the same blade - you can have a higher (even full flat) grind in certain areas and a low flat grind on others. There may be areas on the spine specially designed for batoning and the reciprocating edge should naturally be stronger.
In order to deal with various materials, usually saw teeth or serrations are provided, either on the back of the blade or even on the very edge. You can even see several different serrations on the same blade. Sometimes they are functional, sometimes not, (after all it's just a knife, not a tool for cutting metal or wood on a regular basis) but you know they are there.
The handles are comfortable, made of composite, non-slip materials, with rough surface and all sort of grooves, scallops or holes drilled in it. All have some texturing all along the tang or only in critical areas. Also, all have at least a lanyard hole.
And of course, the colour. A neutral, glare free black, olive or tan is a must. With the appropriate camouflage variations. Indeed, you can use a regular uncoated blade, even the bayonett is shiny, but soldiers are taught to smoke them during certain drills for a reason.
Some of them have all sort of extra gadets like survival kits in the handles, compass or glow in the dark spots.
As you can see, thee are some differences between a tactical one and the old trusty CaseXX. Both can be good, both excel at certain tasks.

Finally, since a picture worth a thousand words (or so they say), here's a tactical: ;) Enjoy!
Attachments
Tactical.jpg
Tactical.jpg (86.98 KiB) Viewed 944 times
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.