Accidently laundered my Delica

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Ramazzotti

Accidently laundered my Delica

Post by Ramazzotti »

Hi. I was washing a load and had forgotten that I left my Delica 4 clipped on a pair of jeans. It wasn't until I kept hearing strange noises coming from my dryer that I eventually found out that I had washed and was now drying my D4. It had been drying for at least 30 min.

It was pretty hot, but not hot like a hot potato. I did notice some smudges/streaks on the blade as if the detergent hadn't completely washed off. Also, I had just tuf-clothed & tuf-glided it a couple days ago which gave it a brownish hue. That hue has apparently been washed away.

Other than the paint coming off 6 points on the clip :( , the frn handle/grip now has a "furry" feeling. It doesn't have that bit-o-harsh feel anymore, it now feels furry. And lighter.

The whole knife feels different like I had just found someone elses Delica in my dryer so I don't know if I should be concerned.

So, my question/concern is: Can I just wash my D4 in some warm soapy water? Or would I use detergent? Should I be concerned about the blade? the lock?

Thanks in advance.
Piet.S

Post by Piet.S »

If you have the torx drivers, you can take it apart and clean it up.
But most likely, flushing it with plenty of luke warm water and letting it to dry well is good enough.
Give a drop of lubricant to the pivot and you are done.
You have a good knife in your pocket with a story to tell.
All your knifelinks, http://www.knifelinksportal.com
spyderHS08

Post by spyderHS08 »

relax man youll be fine. What brand did you say that knife was again..? :cool: lol
Youll be ok, these knives are made to handle stuff like that! may look a bit diff but guaranteed to perform just as well.
39 & counting...
:spyder: E3, Para mili, Salt 1 PE, Native, D3 OD, Ladybug, UKPK, Dodo, D4, Tasman, Ladybug Salt, Smallfly, Khukuri, Para Military, USN E4, Persistence, Civilian, Yojimbo, Smallfly, Manix 2 CE, Dodo, Military, D4 , Blackhawk, Pac Salt, Military, Manix 2, Captain, Assist, D'fly PE, Spyderhawk SE, Persian, Lum tanto, Warrior, Lil Temp, Tuff, spyderfly, szabofly, :spyder:

Dodo!
harpwn

Post by harpwn »

Break-Free CLP is the ultimate lube - if it still feels weird after you pick the lint out of it, squirt some CLP in and it'll work the crap out.

And your blade isn't going to rust from laundry, but in case you ever leave it in salt water, Barkeeper's Friend or similar powdered sink & pot cleansers will take the rust spots right off.

But like the man said, your knife is going to be just fine! A drop of lube should do it.
wescobts

Post by wescobts »

Your good, and so is the knife. If it was a stacked copa, well then maybe there would be some regret.
learning it the hard way... :rolleyes:
JLS

Post by JLS »

Normally I take Q-tips, dental picks and everything else to clean them, but for my old beater Rescue that gets used for outdoors work, I just let it clipped to the pants and wash them together.

Just give it a good rinse and lube after the dryer is done with it.
42 Spyderco fixed blades and counting...
Ramazzotti

Post by Ramazzotti »

Thx for the replies. I guess I was just nagged by the fact I forgot it was still in my jeans and then threw it in with the rest of the wash.
Rinsed it out with warm water and detergent and then tuf-glided/clothed it... good to go. Called around about that Break-free CLP but couldn't find it. The "tuf" stuff smells... like a gun? hehe

The first couple of weeks I was edc'ing the D4, I'd literally forget I had it on me for long stretches of time. I took a friend to the police station a few weeks ago because she had to identify a couple of guys in a police line-up(not quite, turns out the none of the suspects showed up so they used her old h.s. yearbook) and I had been sitting by the front desk for about 30 min, officers/detectives coming and going... when we left, I realized that I had my D4 in my left pocket, unclipped.

Hearing things second hand from the people at my local knife shops/military surplus stores here in Vegas, cops here love to eat up any blade they happen to find on your person. I have to be careful edc'ing any knife around here and was just disappointed that once again I forgot it was still in my pants pocket.
SimpleIsGood229

Post by SimpleIsGood229 »

Welcome to the forum, Rama!

Even though your Delica is fine, perhaps this is a good excuse to buy a Salt 1. :D
God Bless Texas!
[RIGHT]Avatar courtesy of Dialex[/RIGHT]
Μολὼν λαβέ

2009 - Birth of the H-1 Spyderhawk! Thank you, Sal!
thread

Post by thread »

JLS wrote:...but for my old beater Rescue that gets used for outdoors work, I just let it clipped to the pants and wash them together.
Just give it a good rinse and lube after the dryer is done with it.
whaaaa?
oneformula

Post by oneformula »

i did that about 4 years ago with an endura.... i didn't know it until the clothes were washed and dried!

i have a stain that keeps popping up in two places. rust, i'm sure, but it shows more as a stain that rubs out easy... and re-appears in 3-4 more months. vicious cycle.

so... no worries. it is fine.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I have one FRN endura 3 that has been washed and dried at least 5 times without exaggeration. It just comes out looking clean. Joe
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
DFD04

Post by DFD04 »

Consider it broken in...and clean. Happy washing.
:spyder: The peace of heaven is theirs that lift their swords, in such a just and charitable war.
-William Shakespeare :spyder:
vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

I sent my first millie through both an industrial dishwashing machine as well as the one at home. This millie has only gone through my own so far.

Washed my enduras a few times, washed my ss cricket a lot, washed my spin a lot... sent a ladybug through the wash more times that I can count. And we're talking full laundry cycles, not simply hot water and soap in the sink.

It doesn't hurt em. Just clean out the fresh lint and add a couple drops of oil. You'd be surprised what you can put a spydie through ;)
Coffee before Conciousness
Why do people worry more if you argue with your voices than if you just talk with them? What about if you lose those arguements?
Slowly going crazy at work... they found a way to make the voices work too.
dialex

Post by dialex »

Nice story. Don't worry about your Delica, these knives can take a lot more than a simple wash with warm water and detergent. ;)
But the furry feeling is an interesting thing, maybe I should try it myself... :rolleyes:
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.