Top Sirloin grilling steak fixes tarnished Mule!!! :eek:

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
Netsquash

Top Sirloin grilling steak fixes tarnished Mule!!! :eek:

Post by Netsquash »

OK, so I don't know if any of you have seen my post about my tarnished mule (http://spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36751) but I think I fixed it.

I would not believe it if I had not seen it with my own eyes. I was eating a steak dinner that i had just prepared. I was using my Mule to slice up my steak. This was kind of my way of getting my mule back in action after becoming disappointed with it because of the tarnishing.

I was looking at my mule during the meal and I noticed the area that had been touched by the meat was now tarnish free! I then thought, what the heck, I will see if it works and rubbed a piece of my steak up and down the tarnished blade. ALL THE TARNISHING HAS DISAPPEARED!

I don't know what it is about the steak, I am not a chemist but the steak cleaned the blade! I assume there is some sort of antioxidant in the steak, I don't know? I used ground peppercorn, diced garlic, and marinated top sirloin grilling steak. Does anybody know what it is about this combo that could have fixed my mule?

Edit: If you try this do not lick the blade to clean it like I did :P
Lord vader

Post by Lord vader »

Netsquash wrote:OK, so I don't know if any of you have seen my post about my tarnished mule (http://spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36751) but I think I fixed it.

I would not believe it if I had not seen it with my own eyes. I was eating a steak dinner that i had just prepared. I was using my Mule to slice up my steak. This was kind of my way of getting my mule back in action after becoming disappointed with it because of the tarnishing.

I was looking at my mule during the meal and I noticed the area that had been touched by the meat was now tarnish free! I then thought, what the heck, I will see if it works and rubbed a piece of my steak up and down the tarnished blade. ALL THE TARNISHING HAS DISAPPEARED!

I don't know what it is about the steak, I am not a chemist but the steak cleaned the blade! I assume there is some sort of antioxidant in the steak, I don't know? I used ground peppercorn, diced garlic, and marinated top sirloin grilling steak. Does anybody know what it is about this combo that could have fixed my mule?

Edit: If you try this do not lick the blade to clean it like I did :P
Thats amazing,I will have to try that. Toothpaste will work too.
MCM

Post by MCM »

Before and after pic's would help............

:p
:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......
fishwatcher

Post by fishwatcher »

I'm hungry now.

Thx.
Netsquash

Post by Netsquash »

MCM wrote:Before and after pic's would help............

:p
OK so here is the picture that I took a couple hours ago complaining about the mule
http://i628.photobucket.com/albums/uu9/ ... G_0197.jpg

Now here is the picture of the mule after my meal. There is streaks on the knife still from licking it clean, but those can me cleaned off.
http://i628.photobucket.com/albums/uu9/ ... G_0207.jpg

The first picture isn't very clear but you can see where it was the worst along the top. It is very clear in the second picture that there is no more streaking along the top. The brown tarnish has all disappeared!
GoMeR

Post by GoMeR »

So where did all the tarnish go? You ate it, nothing better than rusty steak! :D
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I guess that's one way to get a little extra iron in your diet! :D
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
MCM

Post by MCM »

Thanks for the photos!
Netsquash

Post by Netsquash »

GoMeR wrote:So where did all the tarnish go? You ate it, nothing better than rusty steak! :D
Haha, good question. I didn't really think about that when I was enjoying the steak. I ate both pieces that I rubbed against the knife then licked the knife clean. This is yet another reason that I love steak!

I assumed the tarnish was a product of the steel and that the oxidized steel just reverted back to regular colour when it was deoxidized. Something to do with ions and electrons that I never paid much attention to in science class.
MCM

Post by MCM »

Try Birchwood Casey Sheath.

On the knife........ Not the steak................ :)
Slick

?

Post by Slick »

I don't know if I can replicate this correctly but I've got to try.

If there are any meturalogical chemist here we need to hear from you.

Oh my god!!! What are we injecting into the beef in our food supply?

Could I just buy a bottle of Red Meat Dye #5 to clean my knives? <giggle>

This is almost scary. <giggle>

I am not sure why but all of the appropriate smilys are not rendering with my post.

<mostly joking but still curious>

Who knew that industrial strength Tarnix would keep red meat red forever. Maybe you need a new butcher shop. My favorite meat shop is usually the local Fresh Market store. Better quality for a small increase in price.

Three giggles missing in action. :(
Not really all that slick ;)
Netsquash

Post by Netsquash »

Slick wrote:I don't know if I can replicate this correctly but I've got to try.

If there are any meturalogical chemist here we need to hear from you.
Maybe it was the off the shelf meat tenderizer that I used? I really didn't need tenderizer because of the cut of meat but I like the taste. I got the steak at a half price deal of the week from a local grocery store and froze about 10lbs of it piece by piece with the tenderizer in the bags. I also fried the steak in butter. Hopefully this provides enough detail about everything in the steak that I used if you are serious about replicating what I did.
markg

Post by markg »

I guess the vegetarians are screwed...
Slick

Post by Slick »

One of the missing giggles has been restored.
(? WTF)

Honestly, can anyone add to this and clear this topic up?

Dude youi need to take a time out. Steak CAN-NOT be (cooked//seared) in butter. Butter burns way too low.

I am not a regular steak eater for meals but a porterhouse or T-bone does make make my day.

T-Bone and porter house rule.
Not really all that slick ;)
Netsquash

Post by Netsquash »

Slick wrote:Dude youi need to take a time out. Steak CAN-NOT be (cooked//seared) in butter. Butter burns way too low.
When I quoted you I saw your giggle.

OK, It was technically not butter, it was margarine. In my house we call margarine, butter sometimes the way people sometimes call turkey, chicken.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

My guess is the oil in the steak wiped the stuff off of the blade. A regular gun or knife oil would have done the same thing IMO. Joe
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
feeny

Post by feeny »

Next time a picture of the steak might also be useful.
Lord vader

Post by Lord vader »

Meat contains fatty acids,so when you started cutting the steak the fatty acid in the meat reacted to remove the tarnish or stain.
712KY

Post by 712KY »

feeny wrote:Next time a picture of the steak might also be useful.
lol

This thread has just made me smile and laugh a lot. It reminds me of when I was eagerly reading a thread about Spyderco v Benchmade (spyderhole issues) and all of the sudden there were a buch of posts about the joy of eating a peanut butter and honey sandwich. These posts about PB&J just kept going and going. I was laughing hard. Was there a gas leak in my house? How and the heck did these guys get onto PB and H??

Well that flashback is over. Sorry

Would it matter how the steak was cooked? For example rare v well done. Or possibly the cut of the steak? T-bone v Filet.

Netsquash, Glad your Mule is better. I have no freakin clue why that would happen.

K
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

Speaking of peanut butter (ask and ye shall receive), I roasted and ground my own peanut butter for decades until I discovered Trader Joe's crunchy PB a few years ago. Pour off most or all of the oil on top before mixing. It is the best peanut butter I have ever tried and one of the cheapest as well.