Ever want a knife for a long time and end up not liking it?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Kaizen

Ever want a knife for a long time and end up not liking it?

Post by Kaizen »

That's how I feel about my CF BG42 Millie. I've been wanting one for over a year and a half now. I've played with them in stores numerous times and each time I wanted one more after playing with them. I just recently snagged one and for the life of me, I just can't get myself to like it very much. I don't hate it. I don't dislike it. I'm just not excited about having it like I thought I would be. It's a shame too, being that it's the first Spydie I've owned in a while now. A few questions for all of you:

Has this ever happened to you with any knife model?

Have any of you CF Millie owners experienced this and it did eventually grew on you or did you sell it?
Also "Kaizen1" on BF, "ignoramus" on CPF & EDCF. "kaizenrei" on KF, "Kaizen" on USN.
cougar337

Post by cougar337 »

I felt that way about the Native 4. I think it's a well built and handsome knife but I was a little disappointed with the smooth CF and it just didn't feel right in my hands. I have been a fan of the Native line up especially the Native III so I had higher hopes....It's kind of like a movie that has great build up and then was nice but not exactly what you were hoping for. That said I believe I'll still keep mine :o
712KY

been there, done that

Post by 712KY »

It has happened to me on my most recent purchase. I picked up a Sage after looking at them for a looong time. I was having a hard time deciding between the Sage and the Caly 3. I picked the Sage (and have been second guessing myself ever since) and I just can't get used to it. It is big in comparison to what I usually carry (Meerkat). It has a lot of features I prefer such as a leaf shaped blade, open spine, liner lock. I just can't get into it as much as I thought. FWIW, I like very much the look of the para and the Milli but that as even bigger than the Sage. I'm afraid I'd feel as though I was holding a machete in my hand/pocket.

So the moral of the story for me is that I am forcing myself to look twice (three, four, . . . 100 times) at blade length and OAL since I realize that size is a big issue for me.

K
cyberspyder

Post by cyberspyder »

Dodo :(
I BLEED TOXIC GREEN
:spyder: SPYDIE NUT
:spyder:

:spyder: Spyderco OG Manix PE
:spyder: Spyderco Black Dodo SE *gone*
:spyder: Spyderco Black Paramilitary PE *gone*
:spyder: Spyderco SPOT PE *gone*
:spyder: Spyderco OG Blackhawk SE *gone*
:spyder: Spyderco Ladybug/Photon *gone*
ChaosSpear

Post by ChaosSpear »

a spydie.

I dont own any, I really want 1 knife that has everything I want (and can get) instead of having multiple knives. Im hoping the D'Allara 2 will be out before i get sick of waiting.

but this aslo happens to me on other stuff, waiting to upgrade to a new phone right now. it seems like every time I decide on 1 I want, it stops and more come out.
ClockWork

:-(

Post by ClockWork »

Yojimbo

I had wanted one for so long, And finally wona blue one on eBay for $110. And then I got a Black one a little later. I was so excited, I had been idolising it for so long. But it just didn't do it for me

The grip was just.... not very good. IMO it was hard to hold and hard to get a good positive grip on

-Clock

:o :o
:) Favorites: Black Paramil w/ D2 blade, PE Mini-Manix, S90v Military, Civilian, SE Dodo, PE Police, Sage

Vist my eBay store: Life and Liberty Gear
Tactical & MOLLE gear, Headgear and more

stores.ebay.com/Life-and-Liberty-Gear
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

personally, i love my peel ply CF mili. it's one of only 200 S30V peel ply CF milis made... :D and i use it like crazy!!!! :D

i don't think there's been a single spydie i've regretted...

i will say, i have had that sort of experience with other brands, or items... but never with spyderco knives.

Kaizen, feel free to give me a PM and mail that pesky CF mili my way, so I can properly and safely dispose of it for you, free of cost. I'll take care of that yojimbo and dodo, too. ;) ;) ;)
:spyder: :spyder: :spyder:
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

That's the problem with having impulse control. ;) When you want something for a long time, anticipation builds it up in your mind until reality just can't compete. Your mind convinces itself that the world will be a better place, the air will be cleaner and the sun will be brighter, you'll be more attractive to the opposite sex, and life will be a bowl of cherries when you finally get it. When none of those things happen, disappointment sets in.

My solution is simple. Don't want it for a long time. :D As soon as you decide it might be interesting, hunt it down and buy it. You may not like it any better, but you can be a bit more objective in your evaluation.
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
ClockWork

Post by ClockWork »

clovisc wrote:Kaizen, feel free to give me a PM and mail that pesky CF mili my way, so I can properly and safely dispose of it for you, free of cost. I'll take care of that yojimbo and dodo, too. ;) ;) ;)
LOL...

My CF S90v Military is one of my favorites.
And i personally LOVE the Dodo. It is my favorite Spyderco. Mine got stolen, and I have been trying to get one ever since

-Clock
:p
:) Favorites: Black Paramil w/ D2 blade, PE Mini-Manix, S90v Military, Civilian, SE Dodo, PE Police, Sage

Vist my eBay store: Life and Liberty Gear
Tactical & MOLLE gear, Headgear and more

stores.ebay.com/Life-and-Liberty-Gear
Bluntrauma

Post by Bluntrauma »

yablanowitz wrote:That's the problem with having impulse control. ;) When you want something for a long time, anticipation builds it up in your mind until reality just can't compete. Your mind convinces itself that the world will be a better place, the air will be cleaner and the sun will be brighter, you'll be more attractive to the opposite sex, and life will be a bowl of cherries when you finally get it. When none of those things happen, disappointment sets in.
Couldn't have explained that one better myself. Been there and done that.

From just a personal ergonomics standpoint for me it would be the Native 3. I have no issue's at all with the knife. It just doesn't fit my hand well. The handle slides around in my hand when I try to get to the partially hidden blade hole to open it. It just doesn't feel right.

The Tenacious, again, no issue with the design but as a lefty, liner locks are just awkward. I've closed the knife on my thumb 3 times and cut my knuckle.

And lastly a knife I love but just can't use is my SS Native CE. I wanted a plain edge so bad I could taste it but can't find one. So I grabbed a combo edge. For the life of me I have no use for serrations on a knife. That part of the blade might as well not be there. Again, a personal thing. It is a beautiful knife though.

Another interesting thing I have found though. Sometimes I have bought a knife and thought immediately that it was a poor fit for whatever reason and the more I played with it, the more I liked it.

When I first got my Endura I thought the knife was awkward, huge and too much knife in my hand to be useful. Now it's one of my favorites. It's an older model so the spyder hole is smaller, the texturing on the handle is not bi-directional, no jimping on the spine and it has the older barrel bolt style clip.

I can't wait to get one of the newer ones with all of the design changes.
Sometimes you gotta kick at the darkness until it bleeds daylight.

AKA: Liveitloud on Blade Forums, USN, EDC, Benchmade forums and basically everywhere but here.
liveit_loud on Ebay.
zenheretic

Post by zenheretic »

The fixed blade Lum tanto. IMO opinion it is one of the handsomest production tantos I've ever seen. I wanted for like ever man. Once I got one, I realized how useless tantos are compared to other knives. I should sell it but it still looks darn good.
Follow the mushin, but pay it no heed.
sixheads

Post by sixheads »

Endura 4 , It was my first real spydie that was not a byrd knife. It was fine but i thought it was to big, ergos werent for me and disliked the grind. I came to relize i perfer the calys and Sage much more.

Sixheads
Billy

Post by Billy »

For me it was the Dodo, Yojimbo and especially the Paramilitary. Ended up trading or selling them all away. Personally, my favorite knife is probably the BG-42 Military, so who knows. :rolleyes:
I prefer to ask for forgiveness rather than permission.
I LOVE MY MILLIES
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
FLYBYU44

Post by FLYBYU44 »

For me it was a H-1 Mariner. I lusted after that one since it came out and finally got one off e-bay for a decent price. When I got it I just didn't like it, the blade was long and skinny and it was heavy as ****. I carried it around the house for a few days and then ebayed it again. Funny thing is when I sold it I ended up getting more money for it then I paid, so I wasn't too heartbroken over the whole deal.
Those who choose to live a life without risks, arrive safely at death's door.
mrappraisit

Post by mrappraisit »

Lum Chinese folder :( It's a beautiful knife, thats for sure, but I disliked the feel of the almite, and the ergonomics of the whole thing being curved didn't really suit my use. If Sal makes one in G-10 I might give it another try.
After enlightenment, the laundry.
vito72

Post by vito72 »

I love all my spyderco, only with D'Allara i was little bit disappointed because i found some scraches on spine blade where it touch near scales, i have to contact maybe spyderco customer care? I do not abused blade i only made a normal use, i cleaned and lube again scale-blade contact.They are not too big but i love my spydies so i dont like no one damage!
pedropcola

Post by pedropcola »

Native and Military. I had an older mili and never could take to the lone liner only. For that size knife I didn't like the handle flex. The guy I traded it to was ecstatic though so to each his own.
spydutch

Post by spydutch »

Even before I had internet and joined this madhouse ;) I saw a picture of a Worker/SE and wanted it very badly. When I finally got one I wasn't really excited. Blade looked very fragile to me for a "worker". Still have it though because I really like old school Spydies.

Same with the Almite Cricket/SE. The darn thing wouldn't stay closed and the lock up was so so. Tried to correct it and now I have one screwed up Almite Cricket :o :(
Arend(old school Spydie lover)

MEMBER OF THE INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE!!!

VERY PROUD OWNER OF A CALY III/SE #043 :D

....AND A FG(PARA) MILITARY/SE IN CPMD2(thanx Sal):cool:

...I would love to have one in full SpyderEdge:p
vivi

Post by vivi »

I had a BG42 Military with tip up clip during the summer. I got rid of it, because I wanted the S90V version and a tip up wire clip, not the emerson style clip the other had. I ended up trading the CF Caly 3 back for another BG42 Military, then sent that one off for a low rider Endura 4 style clip, since I couldn't find someone to do the wire clip.

I'm glad I did too. I own or have owned a Police 3, ATR, Stretch 2, Mini Manix, BM 710, BM Rukus, BM Skirmish, Kershaw JYD, Kershaw Spec Bump, Manix, ZDP189 Endura, Endura wave, Para, Pacific Salt and others.

The carbon fiber Military is the best large knife I've found. With tip up carry I find the draw more fluid and carry more comfortable. In the hand the knife feels very light for it's sized, well balanced and has phenomenal ergonomics for my hand. I love the pointy tip. The carbon fiber scales are very well done.

There are other knives I own that excel above the Millie in specific areas, like the Police 3 carries better due to how slim it is and in extremely rough use I would expect the liner lock of the Millie to fail before the lock back of the Manix or integral compression lock of the ATR. However, for one large knife to cover all bases, I think the Millie is the most well rounded knife I've tried.

As to the original question, probably the Salsa. Compression lock and wire clip sounded good on paper, but when I got the knife I didn't care for the prominent belly (I like a pointy blde with little belly) or how high the knife stood when clipped to the pocket. Otherwise the Salsa was one of my favorite small knives, but I traded it off and kept my UKPK mainly because of the blade shape.
ChapmanPreferred

Pro Venator SS

Post by ChapmanPreferred »

I found a Pro Venator SS SE for a screeming deal in college but 2 days later gave it to a friend who was going abroad for a semester. Had been looking for one ever since. Finally grabbed one off eBay and it has been in a drawer ever since. I got a second one from eBay that was part of an airport seizer lot of knives but the tip was blunted on the edge. I sharpened it up but it was super thick, so I reground the hollow and then it was better. It sits in the drawer next to it's brother. Oh well, I will get around to using them sometime I think. :) Like the original poster said, I don't dislike them but it didn't match my memory/expectation.

I have the opposite happen as well. Knew of a model that I didn't think I was interested in but picked one up anyway. Then fell in love with it. The Calypso Jr was one of those along with the Dragonfly.

As far as Peel-ply CF goes, no I had no trouble falling in love with it. My CPM S90V Military is in my rfp everyday! And it sees a lot of use!!!

Take care,

Doug
SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
Work EDC List
FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
BRP: CF Military S90V
BLP: Forum S110V Native
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]