Do I smell bacon?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jabba359

Do I smell bacon?

Post by jabba359 »

I was doing some bakin' today ( :p I know...terrible pun...) and had to slice some uncooked bacon in half, as the strips were too long for my pan. Digging through the drawer, I found the "sharpest" serrated kitchen/steak knife available and tried to saw the whole 1 lb. in half at once. Well, it cut through a bit, but since bacon is composed of a meat and stretchy fat menagerie, I couldn't get the bacon to separate. While the meat portion cut apart fine, the fat just stretched with the movement of the serrations.

What to do? I didn't have any better kitchen knives. Then I remembered having read on the forums about guys using their :spyder: folders in the kitchen. Out came my Caly3 and I dove in. At the merest touch of the blade, the bacon recoiled in terror and was instantly rent asunder. It was seriously as easy as slicing warm butter. Dinner was saved!

I think that my :spyder: 's may get more kitchen use after today. Although the current H1 fixed blades are nice, I'd love to see a set of kitchen-cutlery specific H1 knives coming out of Golden. I could see a set of those becoming a permanent fixture in my kitchen. While Spyderco made some kitchen blades in the past (Yin and Yang, Homemaker, Utility knife, etc), haven't they all been discontinued? Anybody know if there are any plans for more in the future?
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
Brad S.

Post by Brad S. »

Kitchen Duty. Only 2 knives are needed. SE Military... and the creme de la creme Rock Salt... Done!! :rolleyes:
Brad Southard

Southard Knives

"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men," Colossians 3:23
bh49

Food preparation.

Post by bh49 »

jabba359 wrote: Digging through the drawer, I found the "sharpest" serrated kitchen/steak knife available.
Tricod wrote:Kitchen Duty. Only 2 knives are needed. SE Military... and the creme de la creme Rock Salt... Done!! :rolleyes:
Sorry to rain on your parade. I do not think that this is a good idea to keep you kitchen knife in the drawer. Knives bang of each other and kill you edge fast. If we would have as much respect to kitchen knives as we have to our folders, than we would never used anything except kitchen knives on the kitchen.
Spend on the kitchen knife as much as you spend on folder, maintain it properly (sharpen, handwash, dry, do not use glass or ceramic cutting boards) and you all set. Yang and Yin is a good start. They are discontinued, but still available. You can buy both of them for less than Caly3 (I love my Caly3 and carry it every day, even in gym).Yang and Yin designed and made for kitchen use. Blade is VG10, which IMHO is better and less expensive than H1 for kitchen use. Just hand wash and dry them after use, sharpen once in a while and they will do amazing job. The next step would be to get well made 9" chef's knife. You will see a big difference in cutting the food.
Food preparation never was my hobby or favorite choir, but after I bought Yang and Kanetsune Chef's knife I started to spend much more time on my kitchen. Food preparation can be fun, if you have right tools. :)
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Billy

Post by Billy »

Tricod wrote:Kitchen Duty. Only 2 knives are needed. SE Military... and the creme de la creme Rock Salt... Done!! :rolleyes:
Perfect combo! Rock Salt is GREAT in the kitchen. The design of that knife makes it so easy to do rough chopping of veggies and fruits as well as finer work (carving, paring, dicing, etc) in the kitchen with equal ease. PLUS, the only thing you have to worry about with it is keeping it nice and sharp.

I've said it before, but if I could EDC my Rock Salt, I would. In a heartbeat!
I prefer to ask for forgiveness rather than permission.
I LOVE MY MILLIES
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
boxer93

Post by boxer93 »

jabba359 wrote: ... I'd love to see a set of kitchen-cutlery specific H1 knives coming out of Golden. ... Anybody know if there are any plans for more in the future?
IMHO H1 would probably be very expensive (look at $179USD for a aqua salt that has the same 12cm blade as the K05, which last MSRP was 23.95USD). I'd love to see the MBS26 come back or VG10 if it's less expensive. I'd be all over new K05s.
Chris
Be Excellent to each other.
huugh

Post by huugh »

Unbelievable story. :rolleyes:

Even cheap supermarket kitchen knives (and I'm talking prices like $5) can be kept plenty sharp and if used in the kitchen, they surpass most (if not all) other knives.

Using folders instead of kitchen knives is more like masochism than smart thing to do.

Do yourself a favor and buy some sharpening equipment (and knife block or magnetic strip) and keep your kitchen knives in shape.
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

boxer93 wrote:IMHO H1 would probably be very expensive (look at $179USD for a aqua salt that has the same 12cm blade as the K05, which last MSRP was 23.95USD). I'd love to see the MBS26 come back or VG10 if it's less expensive. I'd be all over new K05s.
Chris
i'd rather have it in MDS instead of the MBS26...the homemaker is the sharpest of the bunch of my kitchen :spyder: s
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

bh49 wrote:Sorry to rain on your parade. I do not think that this is a good idea to keep you kitchen knife in the drawer. Knives bang of each other and kill you edge fast. If we would have as much respect to kitchen knives as we have to our folders, than we would never used anything except kitchen knives on the kitchen... :)
Only problem is I rent an apartment with some other guys that won't even bother putting their dishes in the dish washer, much less take care of anything that I would buy. That's why I haven't spent any money on decent kitchen knives, as they'd just get destroyed. Anyway, my kitchen stuff seems to have the knack for "disappearing" in this place.
huugh wrote:Unbelievable story. :rolleyes:

Even cheap supermarket kitchen knives (and I'm talking prices like $5) can be kept plenty sharp and if used in the kitchen, they surpass most (if not all) other knives.

Using folders instead of kitchen knives is more like masochism than smart thing to do.

Do yourself a favor and buy some sharpening equipment (and knife block or magnetic strip) and keep your kitchen knives in shape.
Sorry, but I thought the "smart" thing to do was put the sharp folder to use that I had in my pocket. I do plan on buying decent kitchen knives and keeping them sharp when I have a place where they won't be abused and abducted. Until then, I don't see what the problem is with using the knife in my pocket when the situation calls for it.

I only suggested H1 for it's water impervious abilities, but as long as the knives are taken care of then rust wouldn't be an issue anyway. Maybe I'll check out picking up the Yin and Yang set as bh49 suggests, and just keep them packed away in my room until I move elsewhere. Anyway, I'd still like to see some Spyderco kitchen cutlery in current production. Probably isn't enough demand for them however.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

Sal said something about a 4 set of kitchen knives made out of H1..timetable...who knows :confused:
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

tonydahose wrote:Sal said something about a 4 set of kitchen knives made out of H1..timetable...who knows :confused:

H1 and hollow grind would be a real downer for me :( . Never had rust issues with kitchen knives and there are plenty of reasons besides corrosion to keep them out of the dishwasher.

I was hoping for VG-10 and thin flat grinds, but I'll manage..

Sverre
McBain

Post by McBain »

Jabba, mabe a set of Aqua Salts would work for ya, one serrated, one plain edge.
-The children are right to laugh at you Ralph, these things couldn't cut butter-
Joshua J.

Post by Joshua J. »

Then there's the people like me who still live with siblings and parents. Good luck keeping anything sharp. People around here couldn't get a knife to shave if their life depended on it, let alone keeping them from getting lost in the sink.

this is the reason my Military gets used to slice cheese and bread 90% of the time.

When I move out on my own, you can bet your buns I'll have a nice Ken Onion 10" chef's knife.
Cannot Die Happy Without The Maxamet Yojumbo
bh49

Post by bh49 »

NoFair wrote:H1 and hollow grind would be a real downer for me :( . Never had rust issues with kitchen knives and there are plenty of reasons besides corrosion to keep them out of the dishwasher.

I was hoping for VG-10 and thin flat grinds, but I'll manage..

Sverre
+1 on all issues.
Joshua J. wrote:Then there's the people like me who still live with siblings and parents. Good luck keeping anything sharp. People around here couldn't get a knife to shave if their life depended on it, let alone keeping them from getting lost in the sink.
Some people live with great wife and great some teenager is coming home for vacation, who for some reason cannot remember how great cutlery need to be used. So we have to work hard with people to educate them. :)
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

bh49

Post by bh49 »

jabba359 wrote:Only problem is I rent an apartment with some other guys that won't even bother putting their dishes in the dish washer, much less take care of anything that I would buy. That's why I haven't spent any money on decent kitchen knives, as they'd just get destroyed. Anyway, my kitchen stuff seems to have the knack for "disappearing" in this place.
This is the life, temporary inconvenience. In a little while you will have better roommates or your own place and you will know what to do with kitchen knives.
Good luck.

CombatGrappler

Post by CombatGrappler »

At first, I thought this was going to be a thread about the P.I.G. Police model. Glad to see it is about kitchen knives. I have a 6 inch, red handled Spydie kitchen knife that my wife and I use all the time. It is just about the perfect size and cuts very well. Speaking of that knife, I might just throw it on the Sharpmaker tomorrow since I'm on vacation! :D
Brad S.

Post by Brad S. »

By the way I was joke about the Military and the Rock Salt being good kitchen knives. Althought they would function well. I have a full set of Kershaw Shun classics.
Brad Southard

Southard Knives

"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men," Colossians 3:23
ozspyder

Post by ozspyder »

I would absolutely LOVE to have a nice set of kitchen knives. H1 would be fantastic though its pricepoint currently is no laughing matter. That and the inability to get a stable FFG on it would mean that it's a no go.

A nice steel that can take a very thin edge and hold it for a decent amount of time would be fantastic, but as kitchen knives are used every day the edge holding factor is not too big an issue for me in any case. As long as it is easily maintained and easy to bring a razor sharp edge to it, I'm there !!! :D :p

I currently have a Shun Santoku which I love (and my wife has now claimed as hers !!! WTF !!!), and a set of 4 other knives of a half decent quality only, but kept sharp they do a decent enough job.... just not as much glee involved when chopping up pumpkins, watermelons or vegetables.

A nice set of Spydie kitchen knives:
Chefs knife
Paring Knife
Utility knife/ General Purpose knife (Large and Medium)
Filleting knife
Serrated bread knife?

Of course the obligatory Spyderco knife stand or Spyderco magnetic knife holder would be fantastic as both knife holder and promotional material for the Spyder :D
Cheers
Daniel (Certified Persian & Kopa nut)
Facebook profile: https://www.facebook.com/ozspyder
:spyder: I love my: Persians, Kopas, and Lums
:spyder: * Daniel's Spyderco Hoard *
:spyder: * Ozspyder's Kopa Kabana *
Billy

Post by Billy »

Tricod wrote:By the way I was joke about the Military and the Rock Salt being good kitchen knives. Althought they would function well. I have a full set of Kershaw Shun classics.
Too bad, I wasn't! I often use whatever happens to be in my pocket or will go and grab the Rock Salt just for the heck of it. I like to play around with my Khukuris in the kitchen too. It's fun and a bit of a challenge to dice up the vegetables and slice the steak with a 16.5 inch HI WWII model or use my 9" baby Ang Khola for cheese and apple slicing. About the only model that will probably never see kitchen duty is my 37 oz. 18" M-43. That beast is reserved strictly for yard work.

I also have a decent set of kitchen knives, but sometimes it's just waaay more fun to use something different. Kind of like commuting - all you really need is a good reliable car/van/truck or whatever, but commuting on a 160+ hp sportbike makes it a whole lot more interesting and fun!
I prefer to ask for forgiveness rather than permission.
I LOVE MY MILLIES
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ