Embarassed to ask

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
hk22045

Embarassed to ask

Post by hk22045 »

Yea I know it never happens to anyone else but it happened to me. What are your options when you break the tiny end (called the tip) of your prized spyderco off. any chance the factory can replace it or even 3rd part shops. I dont expect their to be a supply of spare blades around, but just say this happened to someone else. Who would buy a knife for its parts? If the question has been asked i apologize in advance. If not who may be able to fix my knife? :o
spyderHS08

Post by spyderHS08 »

for a price you might be able to send it in to spyderco and have them reprofile it. it will just be a bit shorter..lol. im pretty sure they can do that. im sure youll get better responses tho :rolleyes:
39 & counting...
:spyder: E3, Para mili, Salt 1 PE, Native, D3 OD, Ladybug, UKPK, Dodo, D4, Tasman, Ladybug Salt, Smallfly, Khukuri, Para Military, USN E4, Persistence, Civilian, Yojimbo, Smallfly, Manix 2 CE, Dodo, Military, D4 , Blackhawk, Pac Salt, Military, Manix 2, Captain, Assist, D'fly PE, Spyderhawk SE, Persian, Lum tanto, Warrior, Lil Temp, Tuff, spyderfly, szabofly, :spyder:

Dodo!
BuffaloBill

Post by BuffaloBill »

spyderHS08 wrote:for a price you might be able to send it in to spyderco and have them reprofile it. it will just be a bit shorter..lol. im pretty sure they can do that. im sure youll get better responses tho :rolleyes:
or you may even be able to send it back to spyderco, and for a price get a brand new blade put in. i'm pretty sure they will do repairs/replace parts if needed.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
^Click (needs updating)
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Spyderco does not sell blades, or install replacement blades, and have never heard of third party blades for any Spyderco knife. But, unless you broke off a BIG chunk of it, the blade can probably be salvaged. If it's just the sharpened part or slightly more than that, a reprofile would definitely work, and cost you nothing but the postage to Spyderco and $5 for return postage. If it's a good deal more, it might cost you $20 for a regrind.

Edited to add: Don't be embarrassed, pretty much everyone who's used knives for any length of time has done that to at least one of them.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
feeny

Post by feeny »

Just whilst someone else has started such an "embarrassing" topic *blush* - is it the same $5 for international postage? Do I just slip in a US $5 note in the package?

Im not admitting anything by the way :D
Billy

Post by Billy »

hk22045 wrote:Yea I know it never happens to anyone else but it happened to me. What are your options when you break the tiny end (called the tip) of your prized spyderco off. :o
Well, I think it's happened to all of us at one time or another. I've popped the tip off a Millie, Tenacious and Para. In all cases, it was just the most barely noticeable amount of metal that I was able to simply do a mini-reprofile on that section alone and it was fine. No hampering of function. With that said, depending on which knife it is and how much of the tip is gone, you can have it reprofiled and live with it, or try and sell it as is and put the proceeds toward a brand new one (unless it's out of production).
I prefer to ask for forgiveness rather than permission.
I LOVE MY MILLIES
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
araneae

Post by araneae »

If it is a small portion just resharpen it. Or send it in and :spyder: will do it for you.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Murdoc

Post by Murdoc »

feeny wrote:Just whilst someone else has started such an "embarrassing" topic *blush* - is it the same $5 for international postage? Do I just slip in a US $5 note in the package?

Im not admitting anything by the way :D

Yep. $5 for international postage, too. A $5 note will work, I guess.

Dennis
SimpleIsGood229

Post by SimpleIsGood229 »

The Deacon wrote:Spyderco does not sell blades, or install replacement blades, and have never heard of third party blades for any Spyderco knife.
Actually, I have seen a singular example. This would be Wouter's (Mr Blonde) custom damascus Delica blade. I don't recall who made it for him, though.
But, unless you broke off a BIG chunk of it, the blade can probably be salvaged. If it's just the sharpened part or slightly more than that, a reprofile would definitely work. . .
I've done this with a Buck 110. Not knowing any better, I was trying to pry open a drawer (that --later-- I discovered had been calked shut). :o :rolleyes: I broke off a good 1/4-3/8'' off the tip. I reprofiled it with my pre-'04 Leatherman Wave, and went on my way.
Edited to add: Don't be embarrassed, pretty much everyone who's used knives for any length of time has done that to at least one of them.
See above.
God Bless Texas!
[RIGHT]Avatar courtesy of Dialex[/RIGHT]
Μολὼν λαβέ

2009 - Birth of the H-1 Spyderhawk! Thank you, Sal!
FLYBYU44

Post by FLYBYU44 »

I used to have an all stainless Police. I snapped the blade in half on it while trying to pry some frozen hamburger apart. Learned my lesson though, I only use my knives for cutting now. :)
Those who choose to live a life without risks, arrive safely at death's door.
Slick

Post by Slick »

There are knives appropriate for all uses. The seperating of frozen meat patties has not yet found a way into my Spydeco line up. I do have a few knives that meet (meat!)that requirement and they are mostly old tough family heirloom blades.

You don't need a sharp knife to seperate individually frozen meats.

I do still prefer my Spyderco's unless the risk of physical damage outweighs the production requirements of where I work.

<giggle>
Not really all that slick ;)
flyguy

Post by flyguy »

What kiind of Spyderco?
carpdiem

Post by carpdiem »

You know, I reground the tip of a family breadknife that was suffering from the same thing just a week ago or so, right after Christmas.

There's really nothing to it, though diamond abrasives (I love the DMT stones) make the work go much quicker.
cl0123

Post by cl0123 »

You may want to check your local sharpening services, or ask around the restaurants people. Or, call up culinary schools and ask if they can refer you to any professional knife sharpening services.

Unless you only use your knife to slit paper envelopes, breaking the tip is not that unusual. I've had kitchen blades that lost a tip or two when I was careless to let it twist while hitting a bone or something.

With Aloha,

Clarence
WhyNot

Post by WhyNot »

Last weekend when I was using my Cento 3 to cut a hole in electrical box it hit the nail. The blade looked like this.

Fixing the tip was really easy using a groove of Sharpmaker's gray stone. Without having a coarse stone reprofiling a blade requires some patience but can be easily done as well.
If your damage is similar to mine, and you have an a little more than an hour of spare time, go ahead and do it. You'll feel good about yourself :D
Good luck!
WhyNot
"It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it." Sam Levenson