Closing the Captain

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Spyderknife

Closing the Captain

Post by Spyderknife »

Love my Captain. Just so different looking! Love the "stubby" feeling. Only :( is that I find it rather difficult to close the blade. Love being able to close my other :spyder: with one hand. Battle to do this with my Captain. Anyone else feel the same? :confused:
Don't get me wrong now. Loving the knife. Just never experienced this on any of my other Spyders.
Lord vader

Post by Lord vader »

Well they say it takes two hands to handle a whopper. :D
Lord vader

Post by Lord vader »

All kidding aside i like the knife,I don`t have one but from what i have seen of this knife i can understand.
flyguy

Post by flyguy »

Yup, love the knife...but Spyderco's shouldn't require two hands to operate. I've handled it a few different times, but the lock keeps me from buying it.

Has anyone customized one to fix it?
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

Spyderknife wrote:Love my Captain .. I find it rather difficult to close the blade ... with one hand ... Anyone else feel the same? ...
Yep; Captain and Volpe, those two Spydies have a hard to close liner lock. This keep me out to EDC one of them even for just for fun, as I prefer easy one hand operating.
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
slice22358

Post by slice22358 »

Really you think it's hard? How are you closing it :confused: Mine is fairly easy...
Feeding the addiction

Proud member of The Cult of the Curved Ones-C.O.T.C.O.
SimpleIsGood229

Post by SimpleIsGood229 »

I have very little trouble closing my new Captain. When I first got it, my thumb became sore from disengaging the liner lock. Now, however, I have no such problem.
God Bless Texas!
[RIGHT]Avatar courtesy of Dialex[/RIGHT]
Μολὼν λαβέ

2009 - Birth of the H-1 Spyderhawk! Thank you, Sal!
grunt0331

Post by grunt0331 »

maybe i have tough thumbs 'cause i work for a living, but mine is easy to close. but, i can also disassemble then reassemble an M-16A2 service rifle in 15 seconds, left handed, behind my back, with my eyes closed, while standing on one leg.
CombatGrappler

Post by CombatGrappler »

I guess I'm in the "tough thumb" crowd, because my Captain doesn't give me a lot of hassle. Or maybe my hands are just strong from grip fighting in judo. I dunno.
grunt0331

Post by grunt0331 »

my dad can beat up your dad!
Spyderknife

Always up for a challenge

Post by Spyderknife »

Ok, just back up a second barbies! :p I also work for a living. I'm a plumber so my hands are pretty tough ok. :D But now I'm really puzzled :confused: and excited at the same time ;) . The difficult closing issue is also the reason like peter that I have refrained from EDC my Captain. I am going to work it real hard for the next month in the hope that it will get easier. By the end of Jan I will report back. Deal? :D
DWRW

Post by DWRW »

I don't know about the Captain as I don't have it. The blade shape doesn't appeal to me.

But, I do have issues with blades being too hard to close. I like easy, smooth and fast deployment of my knives. And of "almost" equal importance, I want to be able to close it and put it back in my pocket easy, smooth and fast as well.

I favor liner locks over mid-locks for this reason. I have become functional at closing a mid-lock with one hand, but I find liner locks and axis/arc locks much more natural, smoother, faster and "SAFER" to close.

However, I have come across a few liner locks that are very stout and stiff.

The Lone Wolf Harsey T3 was easily the most stout liner lock I have seen. Dang near needed a special seperate tool to release the lock.

I have actually ground some metal out of some of my liners at the pivot points to release tension. ... Probably voided the warranties. But, that was my choice.

I would rather have a lock easy to function for my purposes than have a lock strong enough to do pull-ups on.

... to each their own.

Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

slice22358 wrote:Really you think it's hard? How are you closing it :confused: Mine is fairly easy...
Yes I do, maybe hard is not the correct word ... difficult is better. Compare the liner lock on the Military/Starmate and Captain/Volpe and you will see what I mean, there is less space for your thumb. A fast by the way closing isn't easy.

I'm right handed and close a liner lock with my right thumb and I don't think a special thumb or forearm training for closing liner locks is needed or advisable.

All I want to say is: there are different liner locks in the :spyder :p roduct line, one are easier to close and others are more difficult. All good just different. I prefer an easy operating one hand liner lock :p
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
flyguy

Post by flyguy »

Say what you want, but the fact is the Captain's lock doesn't compare with other Spyderco liner locks.
Spyderknife

Post by Spyderknife »

Peter1960 wrote:you will see what I mean, there is less space for your thumb.
I agree (again) Peter. It is as if there is not enough of the liner exposed to press agains with the thumb.
DWRW

Post by DWRW »

Peter1960 wrote: you will see what I mean, there is less space for your thumb.
Spyderknife wrote:I agree (again) Peter. It is as if there is not enough of the liner exposed to press agains with the thumb.

I can't recommend my modifications for everyone. And keep in mind that certain modifications may void any manufacturers warranty. But, for my purposes, if I like a given knife and feel it just needs certain improvements to work better for me, I will make modifications and gamble on warranty.

I have had a few liner locks were there was not enough liner bar exposed to give good thumb purchase. Ultimately, the easiest solution I have seen was to grind a notch or increase the size of an existing notch in the opposing liner and scale. This is a fairly simple modification with a Dremmel.

scout

Post by scout »

maybe i have tough thumbs 'cause i work for a living, but mine is easy to close. but, i can also disassemble then reassemble an M-16A2 service rifle in 15 seconds, left handed, behind my back, with my eyes closed, while standing on one leg.

Keep your powder dry, Boats hehe
SimpleIsGood229

scout wrote:maybe i have tough thumbs 'cause i work for a living, but mine is easy to close.
Maybe I have tough limbs, too. :D
but, i can also disassemble then reassemble an M-16A2 service rifle in 15 seconds, left handed, behind my back, with my eyes closed, while standing on one leg.
...with half your brain tied behind your back, just to make it fair? :D Bonus points if you can tell whose line this is.

Oh, and thank you for your service to our great nation. :cool:
God Bless Texas!
Μολὼν λαβέ

Lord vader

Post by Lord vader »

Come on guys lets be nice,We all have something in common were all spidie brothers. :D
SimpleIsGood229

Lord vader wrote:Come on guys lets be nice,We all have something in common were all spidie brothers. :D
I'm jest messin' around with scout. It's all good, Spydie Bro! :)
God Bless Texas!
Μολὼν λαβέ