Stretch 2 Whats the deal?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
realitycheck

Stretch 2 Whats the deal?

Post by realitycheck »

How come no one is talking much about the stretch 2? I searched here and just found a few threads. Searched on blade forums and didnt find anything but a few that were for sale. Searched google for a review and only found one that was on here. Everything i've read about it most everyone really liked it. I figured it would have more of a following. I just ordered one yesterday and cant wait to get it.
So what do you guys think about your stretch 2?
A realitycheck is a time in your life where you do a check of your heart. A time you check where your relationship with God is and where it’s going. Then you make a decision as to where your going from here.

Everyman dies, Few men truly live!
MCM

Post by MCM »

:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......
Sherpa

Post by Sherpa »

I have and love a stretch 2.

It has a non scary shape that makes it seem shorter and doesn't seem to make non-knife people shy away.

It has a nice grippy handle with excellent shape. Also it has a good handle/blade ratio.

It is one of those knives that would be an excellent knife you could carry every day of your life. It would work well in any situation. It's quality would not let you down.
It's a knife that makes me feel guilty when I don't carry it. But.... Variety is the spice of life!

I used mine to turn a 2" x 2" piece of wood into a stake in a couple of cuts.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Darn near everyone who owns one thinks it's either THE best, or one of the best, knives they own. I personally consider it the best knife Spyderco has ever made, overall. As for your question, the Stretch II is expensive, produced in limited quantities, and only in production for a bit over a year, all factors that keep the number of owners, and by extension the number of reviews, fairly low. The fact that it fits into neither the "really sexy" or "totally badass" looking categories probably doesn't help either. What it does offer are top of the line materials, excellent fit and finish, and superb ergonomics.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
sal

Post by sal »

Thanx for the kind words.

Hi Realtycheck.

Thanx for the interest. It is an "afi's" knife.

The Stretch2 is the evolution and refinement of a model that began in the early 80's, called the "Hunter" model.

Blade shape and size refinements, grinds and edge geometry's, assorted handle and clip refinements, until the Stretch2 pattern was developed. We decided to make it a high line limited production piece because it would emphasize the design at it's best.

We felt that if reaction was good from the knife afi's, essentially the only market that will pay so much for a knife, and wouldn't and they wouldn't pay for it if they didn't like it.

We used ZDP-189, argueably one of the finest knife steels today. Hitachi's best. ZDP is also an evolution in the process of making steel. A full flat grind and Rc 65 gives the spirit of the steel an opportunity to "show its stuff". A functional tip for a variety of tasks. An oversized hole makes gloved openigs easier.

A full, but skeletonized liner offers strength, a close tolerance base for pins and screws, especially clip screws, in a light package.

Jimping on the spine and choil for grip and safety.

Peel-ply carbon fiber is ridgid, stong, impervious to most chemicals and elements and provides nice traction even with wet hands or while wearing gloves.

A proven mid-lock-back, strong and reliable, with a strong self-close so it doesn't give the feeling of a "flick" knife. A "Boye dent" offers safety and indexing.

A "high performance tool" look rather than a tactical look.

Our 4 way hourglass clp.

Please pardon the sales pitch, bit it's one of my regular EDC's and is often under scrutiny.

We are currently tooling up for an FRN version, nested steel liners like the Endura4 and Delica4 with bi-directional texture in the scales. Full flat ground VG-10. A 3.5" (blade) lite weight folder between the Endura and Delica in size.

sal
Murdoc

Post by Murdoc »

sal wrote:
We are currently tooling up for an FRN version, nested steel liners like the Endura4 and Delica4 with bi-directional texture in the scales. Full flat ground VG-10. A 3.5" (blade) lite weight folder between the Endura and Delica in size.

sal

...and THAT news just made my day :)

I will be SO in for some of those as soon as they come out!

Stretch 1: ...best...knife...ever.... but the Kraton inlays were a bit delicate.
Bought 4 (!!) of them all in all. Gave two to my father and his friend.

Stretch 2: Perfect, but tricky to sharpen and so precioussssss that it lives mostly in the safe. Bought two, kept the one that I liked most.

Stretch "3"(?): steel nice AND one that I am able to sharpen :rolleyes: , price should be no problem and around the Endura (maybe a little higher due to smaller batches), FFG, length and shape as the originals.... it could finally be THE ONE EDC I am not afraid to carry and use hard. Please, Sal, hurry up.... I can't wait!
What will the handle color be? Maybe a DARK(!) green/grey/blue?

Dennis
sal

Post by sal »

Night Sky Blue.

sal
MCM

Post by MCM »

Sounds good!

What are we looking at?
3 months? 6? 12?

Thanks!
(Any way to make the blade and handle 1/4" longer each?)
:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......
flyguy

Post by flyguy »

Will the handle of the FRN be about thhe same thickness? Will it come in a SE or combo?

I own both generations, and I can't wait for the FRN!

To be honest, I rarely carry my original because I can't pass over the Stretch II.
realitycheck

Post by realitycheck »

sal wrote:Thanx for the kind words.

Hi Realtycheck.
Please pardon the sales pitch, bit it's one of my regular EDC's and is often under scrutiny.
sal
No pardon needed sir. When I first read that you created it for your own personal use, I thought it must be an awesome folder. In my opinion your the best producer of knives out there sir. So I knew it was a great folder. Apparently you guys put a lot of work into this one, and from everything i'm hearing sounds like you knocked it out of the park with this one.

This will be my first knife in ZDP, and I really look forward to using it. Thanks sal for the answer to the question.
A realitycheck is a time in your life where you do a check of your heart. A time you check where your relationship with God is and where it’s going. Then you make a decision as to where your going from here.

spydutch

Post by spydutch »

Well, after all this reading about the Stretch it MIGHT be the knife I'm looking for since my :spyder: addiction started in 2004.

However, how nice it would be if the Stretch/CE remained 60% serrated like the original Hunter. I think maybe after trying I would buy a life time supply of them.

The current Stretch has just a little too less teeth for my liking. Furthermore the Stretch is a bit too expensive to try the CE just for the sake of it. Pity because by looking at the handle it just might fit my hand like a glove. Blade length seems great too. I find the Delica a little short sometimes and the Endura/Military too long to handle comfortably.

Sorry Sal. Being it your baby and all :o

Just my 2 eurocents ;)
Arend(old school Spydie lover)

MEMBER OF THE INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE!!!

VERY PROUD OWNER OF A CALY III/SE #043 :D

....AND A FG(PARA) MILITARY/SE IN CPMD2(thanx Sal):cool:

...I would love to have one in full SpyderEdge:p
cornelis

Post by cornelis »

sal wrote:Night Sky Blue.

sal
Besides a (traditional) black one?,

Cor
AUDACIA MAGIA EST
Murdoc

Post by Murdoc »

Cool, dark blue! That's just what I wanted :)

cornelis wrote:Besides a (traditional) black one?,

Cor
99% no. I think the blue will be the only one, at least for the first batches. A sprint run in the distant future is never impossible though, but I won't hold my breath.

Dennis
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

As mentioned above, the Stretch II is to many - me included- 'simply the best'. It's not the sexiest knife out there, so a pure collector won't appreciate it much; but the user does like it and he will like it a lot. I'm looking forward to the FRN version; I hope a serrated option will be possible in the FRN version.

Another thing that doesn't help the Stretch II celebrity-status is the sheer volume of new models that have come out since the release of the Stretch II. If there's one thing that grabs attention, it's 'new' items.

Wouter
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-28-2024 Instagram
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
dc50

Post by dc50 »

Being, this is my first post here, in the best darn knife community on the web.
Spyderco, knives are one of the most innovative, well thought out products, in the marketplace bar none. There is more sweat, blood and beers ;) behind each and every model than meets the eye of the casual buyer.
I started my knife buying, some 4 or so years ago, and kick myself, for all the monies spent on other brands that left me wanting. I really started purchasing Spyderco's about a year ?? ago, My Wife informs me that I've spent a lot this year on Spydies. I tell her I'm just catching up with the basic models,then it'll slow down :D
Purchased some 20 different models this year, and I also agree with others that the Stretch ll is the bench mark knife for me. All my others Spydies are awesome, and I wouldn't give them up for anything.
The Stretch is one of those knives, that just feels natural, almost as though
you've always owned one. I am also stoked about a FRN model, this will be a hit! for sure. Hoping they will still keep the cf zdp model for those that would like an up grade of materials.
dc
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Dave,

Welcome to the Spyderco forum.

Thanx much for the kind words, interest and support.

We hope you enjoy your time spent here.

sal
dc50

Post by dc50 »

sal wrote:Hi Dave,

Welcome to the Spyderco forum.

Thanx much for the kind words, interest and support.

We hope you enjoy your time spent here.

sal
Your very welcome sir, I hope to be a positive member, and have many more years of, just one more Spydie. :D The best thing since sliced bread :p
dc
realitycheck

Post by realitycheck »

gullwing I missed your post somehow. Thanks for the link, enjoying reding it.

realitycheck

Post by realitycheck »

gullwing I missed your post somehow. Thanks for the link, enjoying reding it.

Dave nice to meet you. Hope you enjoy it here and thanks for your positive input on the stretch.