S30V vs. BG42

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
DJ

S30V vs. BG42

Post by DJ »

In your own opinions ......... which is a better steel ? BG42 or S30V
And if you would ..... tell me why ?? Thanks dj
A.P.F.

Post by A.P.F. »

DJ wrote:In your own opinions ......... which is a better steel ? BG42 or S30V
And if you would ..... tell me why ?? Thanks dj
'Better' is a relative term that is difficult to apply to steel. Each steel has it's own characteristics that lends itself to certain uses and preferences. For instance, the 'toothy' nature of S30V lends itself very well to skinning and meat cutting.

Rather than re-invent the wheel, I'll just direct you to Knife Steel FAQ which is a good read.
Regards, Al

The "soul" of hi-tech materials like G-10, H1, ZDP, Titanium, carbon fiber, etc is found in the performance. That appreciation of the "spirit" comes out in time, after use. It's saying, you can depend on me! I'm there for you no matter what! - Sal Glesser
Billy

Post by Billy »

For me, I prefer BG-42. It takes a finer edge and holds it longer than S30V. I really like S30V too, but I prefer BG-42 if I'm given a choice. You really can't go wrong with either though.
I prefer to ask for forgiveness rather than permission.
I LOVE MY MILLIES
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
RazorSharp86

Post by RazorSharp86 »

Both are very good steels. I personally cannot see any difference in edge holding. If you're experienced with sharpening, then your knives will stay sharp for a relatively long time. Most new knives have S30V though, I also find it easier to 'repair' , after an extremely heavy usage.
Hillbillenigma

Post by Hillbillenigma »

I prefer BG-42 for its ease of Sharpening. Both do well when Stropping or using a Fine Ceramic but during sharpening I found BG-42 to take a much finer edge faster.

Also, though I personally never had an issue with S30V chipping, I have never even HEARD of any issues with BG-42 doing this.

Very hard to find any knife made with BG anymore but If I could have either I would prefer it over S30V.
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The Marines don't have that problem."
~ Ronald Reagan, 1985
DJ

Post by DJ »

Thank you all for your replys and thanks for the steel link ....... :)
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I'm another one that prefers BG42. I love the edges , the stability of the edge, the higher RC's, and just about everything about the steel. It does have a different personality even between RC60- and RC62, but overall it's a strong, clean, high quality stainless.

In general, bearing steels seem to make good knives, even stainless, high speed ones like BG42.

S30V is good too. No complaints there but I prefer BG by a nose. Joe
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
vivi

Post by vivi »

Percival wrote:'Better' is a relative term that is difficult to apply to steel. Each steel has it's own characteristics that lends itself to certain uses and preferences. For instance, the 'toothy' nature of S30V lends itself very well to skinning and meat cutting.

Rather than re-invent the wheel, I'll just direct you to Knife Steel FAQ which is a good read.
Could you specify what you mean by the toothy nature of S30V?
:unicorn
guntotin_fool

Post by guntotin_fool »

S30V has a tendency to micro chip, because of the size of the carbides in the steel. When it it used for a while instead of a nice smooth sharp edge, you get in effect a micro spydie edge. some lilke it, I don't. I want the finest grain I can get which keeps its edge. That seems to be the best compromise for me.

BG 42 comes closer to that standard for me.