Caly Jr Sprint? Poll

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

What steel would you like?

VG-10
27%
ZDP-189
31%
H1
15%
Any steel just make more please!
19%
None- I hate the Caly Jr
8%

Total votes: 62

araneae

Caly Jr Sprint? Poll

Post by araneae »

The Caly Jr is one of the most loved Spyderco models. Prices on ebay are hovering at $100 and up for the Grey VG-10 model and even higher for ZDP models. I believe I am not alone in thinking that the time is right for a sprint run of the Caly Jr. So, I thought a poll was in order for a new run. What would you like to see in terms of steel? I have listed a few steels from the Spyderco stable, feel free to suggest another. Perhaps if there is a positive response we can look at FRN color interest in a new poll.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

I vote "Any" but what I'd like is a tool steel D2, M4.... Something new? whatever.

Ken
玉鋼
araneae

Post by araneae »

kbuzbee wrote:I vote "Any" but what I'd like is a tool steel D2, M4.... Something new? whatever.

Ken
I almost added D2, but I am unsure if they could easily do D2 in Japan. If possible that would be my most preferred option.
-Nick

JD Spydo

Upgrade in Steel >> Then I'll say yes

Post by JD Spydo »

I voted for the ZDP-189 on your poll. However I would love to see a Sprint Run of the Caly Jr. in some sort of tool steel like D-2.

I still have my Burgundy ZDP-189 Caly. I EDCed it for over 2 years and I still carry it on occassions. I love the edge I can attain with ZDP-189.

If you're going to do a Sprint Run then why go backward. Either try to equal the best Caly Jr. of all time or try to make one that can even better that one.

Sure let's do it!! but let's do it in grand fashion :cool:
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
jezabel

Post by jezabel »

As there's been a few of sprint runs done before, I think its time for a high end carbon fiber version, ZDP or VG10 !
imatyssik

Post by imatyssik »

I would love to see it in H-1, all around EDC with low to no maintenance.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

I didn't vote that I hate Calypso Jr., but I do not need it,
as long as I have Caly3 or UKPK.
I own Black Calypso Jr. with ZDP blade and Experimental Micarta SE and never carried any of them, I like the last generation of this knife Caly3 much more. Weight is not a concern for me, I love liners, low riding wire clip, also I do not like swedge and tip down carry. Caly3 is my knife.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

an H1 caly jr would be my dream "anything knife" folder for ketchikan... suitable for office and outdoors, every single day.... :D
:spyder: :spyder: :spyder:
choubbi

Post by choubbi »

IIRC, FFG and H1 don't mix well.
If it was possible I'd have voted H1, but I voted ZDP-189.

I'm not sure I would buy it though... other knives on the list (both Urbans, MTs, VG-10 D'fly...)
And I already have 3 Calypso Jrs (love them!)
JLS

Post by JLS »

I'll take any of the above. VG-10 is the baseline and is certainly no slouch. It could also keep the price down.

At the same time, I'm loving the ZDP-189.

Just make some more!! I can't afford to give them away as presents with the prices they're fetching.
prisoner6

Post by prisoner6 »

I can't vote on this either. I have a grey Caly Jr., but have only carried it once or twice as I much prefer the Caly3 or UKPK. Wasn't aware there was that kind of demand for them. Interesting.
gordonk

Post by gordonk »

I'm not going to vote either - I'm sort of in the same boat as prisoner 6 - I have 2 Grey Caly Jr's and one Black one in ZDP. Only 1 Caly Jr. gets used, and not very much at that. My UKPK, though, is in my pocket all the time. I also have a Caly 3 and love it dearly, it hasn't displaced my UKPK :)
zvir

Post by zvir »

No, thanks, i'll be waiting for caly jr s125v :D
mrappraisit

Post by mrappraisit »

I voted for VG-10 to keep it cheaper. If a Jr with four way or at least tip up got made I would buy it in ZDP-189 or VG-10. I can't really imagine buying it in H1, since I live in the desert and don't have problems with rust.
After enlightenment, the laundry.
araneae

Post by araneae »

Bumpity Bump.
Thanks for voting.
-Nick

GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Grey or equiavalent handles please!
Tank

Post by Tank »

I voted H1 since I alreayd own a burgandy ZDP caly Jr.. bring someting new that we don't already have.
-John
THG

Post by THG »

I would like to see this knife; I got into the knife scene late, and this model was discontinued by then.

I'd like to see it made with S30V or CPM D2 in Golden. Even CPM/154/CM would be nice.
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

I voted VG10, but any steel will be ok, Sal will always put a quality steel on. As long as the grind stays the same.
I like the GRAY! Even British Kaki
The CJ is the BEST knife ever(Sage a close second)
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
Joe Talmadge

Post by Joe Talmadge »

I'll vote for whatever steel Sal says will take the absolutely terrifyingly thinnest edge without crumbling. Don't care whether that's stainless, carbon, or alloy steel, though I imagine it's a carbon or alloy steel run very hard, I think I yawn at all the stainlesses for this. I'm not interested in just using a non-stainless in the caly Jr just to get toughness, I don't think that super toughness is where the Caly Jr really excels, but I do want the thing to be sharp like a surgeon's scalpel (at least after I send it to Tom Krein :) )

So, I yield to Sal on whatever steel he think he can run this way to take a thin edge and still have reasonable integrity. I've heard some great things about lowly 1095 run at 65ish Rc, I'd be happy with even that.