Going to make myself a chef's knife

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
cobrajoe

Going to make myself a chef's knife

Post by cobrajoe »

I've finally decided I need a decent quality kitchen knife, and instead of shelling out upwards of 100 bucks to buy one, I decided to make one. Granted, I'll start out with a blade from texas knife makers supply (the spear point chef's knife) but I can't really decide on what to use for the scales.

I really like the look of the Interlace Acrylester, especially the black/white pearl or the molten metal, but I'm not sure how well plastic handles would work in the kitchen (wet hands and/or heat).

Also high on my indecision list are the winewood/black dymondwood or the walnut tigerstripe wood

What do you think? What would look good and be usable in the kitchen?
MEMBER OF THE INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Joe, I love the look of wood, but IMHO properly stabilized wood, and stablized plywood products like Dymondwood and Pakawood, are no different than plastics when it comes to grip. They're totally saturated with resin very similar to that used in G-10 and CF. So from that standpoint, go with whichever one you like the looks of the most.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Shagnasty

The look you want is most important

Post by Shagnasty »

Hey Joe where you goin with that gun in your hand....Oops, Im showin my age. :eek:

In my opinion, I think that you can retain some of the natural wood feel etc depending on the wood and how its stabilized. Some wood doesnt need to be stabilized. Ebony, desert ironwood, cocobolo, etc. There is a list. Most are oily and dense and hard, thus no need for stabilizing. If you want wood, that might be a great way to go. Desert ironwood is incredible stuff. If you go synthetic, and want grip, I'd consider some canvas micarta (bead blasted for extra grip). You can get some from most suppliers. Most commercial chef knives have some sort of synthetic handles, like bakelite, micarta or g-10, etc. Either way (in my opinion) they will be vulnerable to dishwasher heat, and so bottomline is I would find a look that you like, (either wood or synthetic) and then figure out if it needs stabilizing or not, etc. One is not better than the other, they both have their advantages and disadvantages. Shoot me an email if you want. I'll try and help if I can. Larry
snuffaluff

Post by snuffaluff »

Just to add... most quality kitchen knives aren't meant to be washed in the dish washer anyway. The handles just can't take it over a period of time. If you plan on using this knife a lot... I'd stay away from wood. It just doesn't seem nearly as sanitary to me as a good plastice/micarta/g10 would be and the maintenance on keeping it is much more.
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

snuffaluff wrote:I'd stay away from wood. It just doesn't seem nearly as sanitary to me as a good plastice/micarta/g10 would be and the maintenance on keeping it is much more.

here is a lil article you might find interesting...wood is pretty sanitary.

http://www.peter.hemsley.btinternet.co. ... teria.html

Joe i like the black/white pearl....we want pics when it is done.
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
bh49

Post by bh49 »

I will join the group of wood lovers. I have two kitchen knives with wood handle for a while, still in gear shape.
By the way, you do not have to spend $100 for quality chef's knife. I love my 8" Chef's Kanetsune
33 layers of Damascus steel
·VG-10 steel core
·HRc of 60+
·Black wood handle scales
·Full tang construction
·Stainless steel bolster
·Triple rivets
$55 at

http://www.smkw.com/webapp/eCommerce/pr ... &SKU=KT102
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
cobrajoe

Post by cobrajoe »

Thanks for the information guys, I guess I didn't think about unstabilized woods because I thought it wouldn't hold up to the constant water and heat that accompany kitchen work.

I'll have to take annother look at the woods (wood and kitchen knives go great together), but right now I'm leaning towards a flavor of the acrylester, but the more I look, the less sure I am on choosing a color.

Although, that Kanetsune from SMKW is really tempting me to go that route instead...
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Joe, if you ever decide to do one in unstabilized wood, I'd just add Lignum Vitae to the ones Shagnasty mentioned. Of the two acrylics you mentioned, I'd go with the b/w pearl. Or, if you want to consider something totally different, and "somewhat" old fashion, check out their butterscotch paper micarta.

Roman, you may have just chased a bunch of Spydies out of my kitchen. Those look great and I take it from what you're saying that they work well too. At those prices they definiitely become a tempting option.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
cobrajoe

Post by cobrajoe »

The more I look and price the blade and handles, the better that kanetsune looks.

I might change my plans a little bit, and go with either a paring knife blade or a longer general purpose type blade instead, that kanetsune damascus with VG-10 is too tempting.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

The Deacon wrote: Roman, you may have just chased a bunch of Spydies out of my kitchen.
Paul, I am sorry, I didn't intend. :)
cobrajoe wrote: Although, that Kanetsune from SMKW is really tempting me to go that route instead...
cobrajoe wrote:The more I look and price the blade and handles, the better that kanetsune looks.
I might change my plans a little bit, and go with either a paring knife blade or a longer general purpose type blade instead, that kanetsune damascus with VG-10 is too tempting.
Couple more comments about Kanetsune. IMHO my K102 is the sharpest knife I ever used, I love it, it is a pleasure to use use it (without doubts I spend more time on the kitchen than ever before :D ), just do not cut bones. Japanese kitchen knives are thiner than American or European. Thickness the same like Yang.
I have one regret about my purchase. If I would do it again, instead of 8" blade K102 I would buy 9" K101. By the way, if somebody combine K101 with paring K105, than shipping will be free.
Good luck.
Roman
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
snuffaluff

Post by snuffaluff »

tonydahose wrote:here is a lil article you might find interesting...wood is pretty sanitary.

http://www.peter.hemsley.btinternet.co. ... teria.html

Joe i like the black/white pearl....we want pics when it is done.

BAH! Ya know what's funny? About 20 minutes after my post... i went to cooking some breakfast... and pulled out my wooden cutting board. :rolleyes:
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

cobrajoe wrote:The more I look and price the blade and handles, the better that kanetsune looks.

At that price the Kanetsune is a steal.

I bought a Kanetsune Usuba for my sister and they are very good. Great fit and finish and very nice grind.

Sverre