fave camo and where to get it

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
clovisc

fave camo and where to get it

Post by clovisc »

there's been a lot of talk about "survival" and bushcraft type stuff here lately, and i like that... :D

to keep us thinking about fitting in with the great outdoors, i'm curious to know...

1. what's your favorite type of camo for the place you live?
2. what's your absolute favorite type of camo (whether or not it works well where you live)
3. where can you get them!

i'm pretty fond of flecktarn and digital woodland, myself... :D
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

The old day desert camo is perfect for blending into stubble fields here during pheasant and quail season. As in, perfect enough to get you shot because someone didn't see you when they were swinging a twelve gauge on a fast-moving bird. Camoflage isn't always a good idea. ;)
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
JBE

Post by JBE »

I'd dare say that Max 4 Advantage is probably one of the most popular styles available around here, myself included. Many prefer it for duck hunting in the marshes or for hunting in and around the many rice fields in SW Louisiana. I tend to buy most of my camo/hunting gear from Bass Pro Shops or from Academy.
Jason
nicholaspoole

Post by nicholaspoole »

mossy oak is pretty popular around here (blaze orange will get the job done)
-central texas

SC14BK
C78BK
C109BKP
C115CFP
C122
C11GRE

and more too come
Jimd

Post by Jimd »

I like the USMC Digital Woodland quite a bit. It has a lot of browns, which tend to blend very well.

Just received today a shirt in Multi-Cam, and I love it. It may be my new favorite. I haven't had the opportunity to test it out, but from the photos I've seen in various environments, the stuff is as close to "do it all" as you can get. I got this in a trade from a guy who has several hundred various camo uniforms, so I'm not sure where he got it. The tag inside the jacket says "SKD Tactical, Inc. Highland Falls, NY 10928".

Just do an internet search on your favorite camo schemes and you'll hit tons of sites that sell the stuff.

For the times when I really want to be invisible, I haul out the ghillie suit. I make them as a hobby, then sell them, so I usually have one on hand.
Referee in the Bowels of ****
Email: ST8PEN01@aol.com
Artwork For Sale

"...We few, we happy few...we band of brothers...For whoever sheds his blood with me today shall be my brother." - William Shakespeare

If you are not willing to stand behind our troops, by all means, please stand in front of them!
wescobts

Post by wescobts »

I am still old school and stay with my tiger strip jungle bdu's.
learning it the hard way... :rolleyes:
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

wescobts wrote:I am still old school and stay with my tiger strip jungle bdu's.
That pattern works fairly well in the older muskegs here... :D
:spyder: :spyder: :spyder:
Doc Pyres

CADPAT all the way!

Post by Doc Pyres »

My favourite camo is CADPAT (Canadian Disruptive Pattern). It comes in two types: Temperate Woodland and Arid. (There was rumour of a third type, Winter, but I've never seen any available beyond the prototypes.)

For the Alaskan bush, CADPAT TW would be very effective. It's available at some Canadian retailers that sell tactical gear and the like. Beware, there are some pretty poor imitations out there.
snuffaluff

Post by snuffaluff »

Whatever camo you get, make sure your pants are made with ripstop material.

I usually get my camo at the local Surplus place. They usually carry most of the camo on the market at better prices than your average "hunting" story like Cabela's or Bass Pro Shops.

I'm a tiger stripe fan myself, though I just bought some new shirts this year... plain old camo, just like the army guys wear.
cyberspyder

Post by cyberspyder »

MULTICAM from TAD Gear!
I BLEED TOXIC GREEN
:spyder: SPYDIE NUT
:spyder:

:spyder: Spyderco OG Manix PE
:spyder: Spyderco Black Dodo SE *gone*
:spyder: Spyderco Black Paramilitary PE *gone*
:spyder: Spyderco SPOT PE *gone*
:spyder: Spyderco OG Blackhawk SE *gone*
:spyder: Spyderco Ladybug/Photon *gone*
Jimd

Post by Jimd »

cyberspyder wrote:MULTICAM from TAD Gear!
I'm finding that the Multi-Cam really does blend extremely well in varied environments. So far, it's the best all-around camo that I've tried. I plan on getting more if at all possible.
Artwork For Sale

"...We few, we happy few...we band of brothers...For whoever sheds his blood with me today shall be my brother." - William Shakespeare

If you are not willing to stand behind our troops, by all means, please stand in front of them!
quattrokid73

Post by quattrokid73 »

I just played airsoft a few days ago and we had three major types of camo in use: standard woodland, multicam, and my new ACU digital woodland.

Everyone agreed that my ACU digi woodland concealed the best. If it weren't for my black balaclava and tactical vest, they said I'd have been nearly invisible with the shadows cast by the canopy.

The Multicam was too light in color, which I'd assume the same of the USMC digi since it's almost the same tonal range.
http://www.coroflot.com/aham73

:spyder: Orange Millie, UKPK Orange, DP UKPK, FRN UKPK Maroon DP, Urban Wharnie, Chokwe, Zulu, Mini Persian G-10, Spin Etched, Leafstorm, Caly Jr Gray, Sage 3, Lum CF

Every machine is the spiritualization of an organism.
Doc Pyres

Post by Doc Pyres »

quattrokid73 wrote:I just played airsoft a few days ago and we had three major types of camo in use: standard woodland, multicam, and my new ACU digital woodland.

Everyone agreed that my ACU digi woodland concealed the best. If it weren't for my black balaclava and tactical vest, they said I'd have been nearly invisible with the shadows cast by the canopy.

The Multicam was too light in color, which I'd assume the same of the USMC digi since it's almost the same tonal range.
Quattro, when you say "ACU digi woodland" do you mean the same pattern camo as the current US Army issue ACU or the USMC MARPAT? I thought the MARPAT was the only one referred to as digital woodland. Please let me know because I'm trying to decide what to get for airsofting myself. Cheers. :)
Jimd

Post by Jimd »

Doc Pyres wrote:Quattro, when you say "ACU digi woodland" do you mean the same pattern camo as the current US Army issue ACU or the USMC MARPAT? I thought the MARPAT was the only one referred to as digital woodland. Please let me know because I'm trying to decide what to get for airsofting myself. Cheers. :)
That's what I was wondering. I do know that ACU stands for Army Combat Uniform, so I'm assuming it's the Army's digi-cam. But that stuff's pretty light-colored, much lighter than the MARPAT woodland digis.
Artwork For Sale

clovisc

Post by clovisc »

i think ACU refers to the style of the uniform (as opposed to BDU), rather than the pattern on the material... and I think the digital camo the army uses is "universal camo" ??
:spyder: :spyder: :spyder:
quattrokid73

Post by quattrokid73 »

ACU is the cut. It's a more modern fit with much better pockets, better construction, IR friendly fabric, and places for foam knee/elbow pad inserts (awesome!!). My understanding is that the ACU comes in two styles, one for Army and one for Marines. They have slightly different cuts but the same digi camo pattern. The main difference is in the coloring. Army's is darker and more saturated. The Marine one reminds me of the foliage green in the Spyderco knives...kind of subdued green/grey mix.

For me, the Army scheme works best.

:spyder: Orange Millie, UKPK Orange, DP UKPK, FRN UKPK Maroon DP, Urban Wharnie, Chokwe, Zulu, Mini Persian G-10, Spin Etched, Leafstorm, Caly Jr Gray, Sage 3, Lum CF

Doc Pyres

Post by Doc Pyres »

quattrokid73 wrote:Army's is darker and more saturated.
I have to disagree. USMC MARPAT is darker than the Army's UCP (Universal Camouflage Pattern) used on the ACU. Both are digital, but the MARPAT looks darker, at least to my eyes.

This photo of MARPAT is just priceless :) :

http://www.leatherneck.com/gallery/file ... Hollon.jpg

And here's Army UCP:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Army ... niform.jpg

Here's a good comparison pic:

http://www.airsoftza.co.za/content/file ... rns2_0.jpg

Regardless, both MARPAT and the ACU UCP are excellent camo. For me, MARPAT just works better in my locale. YRMV. :)
Jimd

Post by Jimd »

Doc Pyres wrote:I have to disagree. USMC MARPAT is darker than the Army's UCP (Universal Camouflage Pattern) used on the ACU. Both are digital, but the MARPAT looks darker, at least to my eyes.

This photo of MARPAT is just priceless :) :

http://www.leatherneck.com/gallery/file ... Hollon.jpg

And here's Army UCP:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Army ... niform.jpg

Here's a good comparison pic:

http://www.airsoftza.co.za/content/file ... rns2_0.jpg

Regardless, both MARPAT and the ACU UCP are excellent camo. For me, MARPAT just works better in my locale. YRMV. :)
That's what I was recalling, as well; the MARPAT is considerably darker than the Army's ACU. Like you said, though, it's all good stuff.
Artwork For Sale

A.P.F.

Post by A.P.F. »

I am sort of partial to Mossy Oak© Breakup as available at Cabela's.
Regards, Al

The "soul" of hi-tech materials like G-10, H1, ZDP, Titanium, carbon fiber, etc is found in the performance. That appreciation of the "spirit" comes out in time, after use. It's saying, you can depend on me! I'm there for you no matter what! - Sal Glesser
quattrokid73

Post by quattrokid73 »

You guys are both right. The guy at the Army/Navy store got them confused! I'm just going off of what he said.