Bushcraft "NASA"

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
FRIZ

Bushcraft "NASA"

Post by FRIZ »

Will there be a Bushcraft "NASA" version with S90V steel and Carbon Fiber handle. ;)

Thank you.
Regards,
FRIZ
"Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.''

Sir Winston Churchill
FRIZ

Post by FRIZ »

sal wrote:...My thoughts on the "NASA" version would be something like; full flat S90V, formed Carbon Fiber handles, Boltaron (hi-line Kydex) sheath...sal
Regards,
FRIZ
"Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.''

Sir Winston Churchill
ClockWork

Post by ClockWork »

Wait... what??

What NASA version of the Bushcraft?

what'd i miss?
:) Favorites: Black Paramil w/ D2 blade, PE Mini-Manix, S90v Military, Civilian, SE Dodo, PE Police, Sage

Vist my eBay store: Life and Liberty Gear
Tactical & MOLLE gear, Headgear and more

stores.ebay.com/Life-and-Liberty-Gear
Marion David Poff
Banned

Post by Marion David Poff »

Just my take on this...

The Bushcraft in it's original concept is a step back in technology, to simple carbon steel and wood.

So, the opposite of that would be a space age or NASA Bushcraft. And sal was saying that the meaning of that to him was the materials mentioned.

I imagine that there is no promise of such, but sal seems to be saying that they have thought of it.
Marion David Poff
SoCal Operator

Post by SoCal Operator »

I'd get one.
Ask me where I got my awesome SUPERHAWK!

More like Mid-Cal now

Be Prepared
sal

Post by sal »

We'll watch reaction to the traditional model and if reaction is acceptable, we'll go ahead with the "NASA" version,

The "NASA" version is essentially the same pattern and handle shape (which is very comfortable to use. Chris Claycomb did a beautiful job.) But we'll use a full flat S90V blade with a hi-tech synthetic handle, most likely carbon fiber.

Naturally we can't call is a "NASA" version in production. I think NASA would not appreciate it.

sal
StSumwhere

Post by StSumwhere »

How about... "NASAproof"

That would be the knife with a lanyard to keep it from floating away :rolleyes:
SoCal Operator

Post by SoCal Operator »

Would it be peel-ply carbon fiber? That would make an amazing fixed blade handle.

More like Mid-Cal now

Be Prepared
Marion David Poff
Banned

Post by Marion David Poff »

sal,

In the original quote the phrase was 'formed Carbon Fiber handles'.

Is that different from milled? Or were you simply denoting the concept that they would be contoured and not flat....
Marion David Poff
stoneman

Post by stoneman »

I thought bushcraft blades were supposed to have carbon steel so that they throw sparks when struck on ferrocerium rods or flints for fire starting in the bush.
-Steph
-"How many of those spyder thingies do you really need? "-my girlfriend-
_ SERENITY NOW!!!!!- Frank Costanza
vivi

Post by vivi »

stoneman wrote:I thought bushcraft blades were supposed to have carbon steel so that they throw sparks when struck on ferrocerium rods or flints for fire starting in the bush.
ZDP189 throws sparks very well for me using multiple brands of fire rods.
:unicorn
ClockWork

Post by ClockWork »

sal wrote: Naturally we can't call is a "NASA" version in production. I think NASA would not appreciate it.

sal
What about calling it the Spacecraft ?

Space-craft
SoCal Operator

Post by SoCal Operator »

That's too perfect not to work.

More like Mid-Cal now

Be Prepared
DWRW

Post by DWRW »

sal wrote:We'll watch reaction to the traditional model and if reaction is acceptable, we'll go ahead with the "NASA" version,

The "NASA" version is essentially the same pattern and handle shape (which is very comfortable to use. Chris Claycomb did a beautiful job.) But we'll use a full flat S90V blade with a hi-tech synthetic handle, most likely carbon fiber.

Naturally we can't call is a "NASA" version in production. I think NASA would not appreciate it.

sal

Sal,

Personally, I think the O-1 blade will be very nice in my book and I intended to buy one anyway. I consider O-1 to be very functional steel with good user traits - But, O1 rusts very easy and needs maintenance. Generally, I can manage just fine if I know I need to maintain it with wax, oil or similer. I own quite a few other high carbon steels prone to rust.

.... *** But, a carbon fiber handle on a high tech blade would be even better in my book.

I am sure S90V would be awesome.
Although, I am LOVING the M4 steel on my Mules a LOT!!!! (Glad I got 2!!!)
I love the edge properties of the M4 so far. One of the best I have used and not far behind S90V to me so far. But, M4 should be quite a bit tougher if I understand correctly (???). I haven't really stressed the blade much on mine yet.
From what I can tell, while M4 does seem prone to patina like A2, also like A2, it doesn't seem so prone to rust (so far ???). So, I would be great with M4 as well! - Hi-Tech and great steel, but not really stainless :confused: -
I would be great with S90V though as well. I have loved the pieces I currently own and use. Definitely some of the best steel I have used for "cutting" - which is my main priority in most of my knives.

I love the Carbon Fiber handles on my T-Mags!!! So much so, that I am saving for about 4 other CF handle Spyderco models to add to my collection.

I LOVE the properties of the CF on my T-Mags. Gorgeous, light-weight and feels good in my hands. I know some of the other CF handles have various finishes. I have a hard time imagining the other finishes could be as nice as the finish on my T-Mags. (????) So, I am hoping for that type of finish on a CF Bushcraft knife.

*** You have my vote to start planning for a hi-tech Bushcraft. :D

gaj999

Post by gaj999 »

stoneman wrote:I thought bushcraft blades were supposed to have carbon steel so that they throw sparks when struck on ferrocerium rods or flints for fire starting in the bush.
If you're going to whack actual flint with your knife, it needs to be a carbon steel knife since the sparks are tiny pieces of your blade. If you've got a ferrocerium rod, stainless works well since you're scraping off pieces of the rod. I have heard that scraping the rod with a sharp piece of glass will also throw a shower, but I haven't tried it.

I like the looks of the bushcraft, but Scandi grinds just don't do it for me. The NASA version with FFG sounds killer.

Gordon
sal

Post by sal »

We will form the CF to match the Chris Claycomb Bushcraft UK handle design. The handle finish has not yet been determined.

Nor have we considered a name. I realize a name is important, but we have been busy, and we've not yet decided to make the hi-tech model.

The market (you) will ultimately determine that.

Thanx much for the encouragement and kind words.

sal
ClockWork

Post by ClockWork »

sal wrote: ...Nor have we considered a name. I realize a name is important, but we have been busy, and we've not yet decided to make the hi-tech model.

Thanx much for the encouragement and kind words.

sal
I still like "Spacecraft"
:D
:) Favorites: Black Paramil w/ D2 blade, PE Mini-Manix, S90v Military, Civilian, SE Dodo, PE Police, Sage

Vist my eBay store: Life and Liberty Gear
Tactical & MOLLE gear, Headgear and more

stores.ebay.com/Life-and-Liberty-Gear
bladefan

Post by bladefan »

s90v + FFG + CF = AWESOME!!! I would definitely buy that!!! :D
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

sal wrote:...and we've not yet decided to make the hi-tech model.

Sal, the last thing I need is another fixed blade knife but I would HAVE to buy this one, CF, S90V and FFG!!! Resistance would be futile!

Bring it!

Ken
玉鋼
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

sal wrote:Nor have we considered a name.
How about Bushcraft ASAN?? Sounds kinda Asian. Maybe a Ying/Yang on the blade???

sal wrote: I realize a name is important, but we have been busy,
Yes, you have! Awesome stuff coming out (recently and upcoming!)!!

Ken
玉鋼