Kubatons/Koppo Sticks/Pocket Sticks

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
SimpleIsGood229

Kubatons/Koppo Sticks/Pocket Sticks

Post by SimpleIsGood229 »

Howdy y'all,

Who here carries a kubaton or similar pocket stick? If so, what do you carry? I know Mini Maglites are popular for this purpose. Anyway, I'm weighing my options, as I'm in the market for a kubaton/koppo/pocket stick.

I'm actually considering cutting down a ''sharpening'' steel to five inches, or so, and putting on a keychain. The diameter is almost perfect, the end would already be tapered a bit, plus, I'd have a means of touching up my EDC knives without having to carry an actual sharpener.

What are y'all's thoughts?

Thanks!
God Bless Texas!
[RIGHT]Avatar courtesy of Dialex[/RIGHT]
Μολὼν λαβέ

2009 - Birth of the H-1 Spyderhawk! Thank you, Sal!
Monocrom

Post by Monocrom »

I prefer to use my lights as improvised kubatons. Maglite will never admit it, but the original Mini-Mags were specifically designed to be used as kubatons. (That's why a stock Mini-Mag is great for that purpose. It's not just a coincidence).

Besides the various joint manipulations, another good technique is to use a kubaton or light as a hammer-fist enhancer; with the bezel or bottom of the kubaton expending below the fist.

The nice thing about lights is that they come in handy as lights as well. They also wouldn't look out of place being dumped into a Screener's bowl at an airport or courthouse. An actual kubaton will stand out. A koppo stick might make it through, but doubtful. A flashlight isn't even likely to raise an eyebrow. Especially if it is the ubiquitous Mini-Mag model.
"The World is insane, with small pockets of sanity here & there. Not the other way around."

:spyder:-John Cleese- :spyder:
cyberspyder

Post by cyberspyder »

Inova X1 as a kubotan.
I BLEED TOXIC GREEN
:spyder: SPYDIE NUT
:spyder:

:spyder: Spyderco OG Manix PE
:spyder: Spyderco Black Dodo SE *gone*
:spyder: Spyderco Black Paramilitary PE *gone*
:spyder: Spyderco SPOT PE *gone*
:spyder: Spyderco OG Blackhawk SE *gone*
:spyder: Spyderco Ladybug/Photon *gone*
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

I have a variety of Kubotans and I'm a certified Instructor in it's methods...Flashlights work fine as do all the inexpensive Aircraft Aluminum Kubotans out there. I also like a plain piece of Acrylic with a hole drilled thru one end for the keychain slip ring , it looks less like a Kubotan.....more like a key chain and is light weight, doubles as a magnifier and works just as good as any Kubotan...Doc :D
BTW FWIW Kubotan is the correct spelling for this item.
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
Marion David Poff
Banned

Post by Marion David Poff »

I use the BM Pen.

I also use the Cold Steel Sharkie.
Marion David Poff
redyps04

Post by redyps04 »

I actually just found out yesterday about the Batonlite from Streamlite. It's a kubaton that's a flashlight instead of a flashlight that acts as a kubaton.

http://www.theledlight.com/batonlite.html

Does anybody have one of these that would care to give us thier opinions?
RazorSharp86

Post by RazorSharp86 »

I also am a Kubotan practitioner. My favourite Kubo is Cold Steel's Ti-Lite.
I've got the smaller, Titanium version, and trust me, this baby can do some major damage if need be.
cyberspyder

Post by cyberspyder »

Dr. Snubnose wrote:I have a variety of Kubotans and I'm a certified Instructor in it's methods...Flashlights work fine as do all the inexpensive Aircraft Aluminum Kubotans out there. I also like a plain piece of Acrylic with a hole drilled thru one end for the keychain slip ring , it looks less like a Kubotan.....more like a key chain and is light weight, doubles as a magnifier and works just as good as any Kubotan...Doc :D
Have you used Jeff's polymer kubotans? I have one, and they are tough...

http://www.alphainnovationsselfdefense. ... ubaton.htm
I BLEED TOXIC GREEN

stonyman

Post by stonyman »

I happen to be admirer of kubotans and pocket stick and anything of the like. I currently am carrying a custom kubaton I had custom made by a guy here in Fl. It is nothing fancy, just a hair under 8 inches, 7/8 inches round tapered on both ends with a lanyard running through an end. I got for the purposes of splitting the difference between a knife and gun. I get to pick and choose how effective the outcome. ;) I will try to link a pic later............if not do not hold it against me. :confused:
cyberspyder

Post by cyberspyder »

The one I like most is DJ's Phantera:

http://www.americankami.com/stick.html
I BLEED TOXIC GREEN

SimpleIsGood229

Ooo, that's nice. What are they made of? His site doesn't say.
Dr. Snubnose wrote:I have a variety of Kubotans and I'm a certified Instructor in it's methods...Flashlights work fine as do all the inexpensive Aircraft Aluminum Kubotans out there. I also like a plain piece of Acrylic with a hole drilled thru one end for the keychain slip ring , it looks less like a Kubotan.....more like a key chain and is light weight, doubles as a magnifier and works just as good as any Kubotan...Doc :D
Thanks, Doc. Note taken.
God Bless Texas!
Μολὼν λαβέ

cyberspyder

Post by cyberspyder »

And now, the specs on the Phanteras and what they come with:

.75 diameter MDS Nylon 6/6.

Overall lengths available will be 4, 6, 8, and 10 inches.

Lanyard lengths will be 36 inches.

Lanyard end (the Butt) available with either a Grip Cut (facets to enhance grippyness) or Crenellations (five stabby teeth that ring the end of the stick - like a castle turret).

A genuine AR-15 sized Phantom flash suppressor on the Prow (the business end). Your choice of 4 or 5 prongs.

Your choice of finish on the crush washer (the metal ring you see between the flash suppressor and the body of the stick). Available finishes are polished, patina, or EVOL black. If you don't specify a finish, it'll come EVOL black.

Flash suppressors are attached in the following manner: The stick body is drilled and threaded, and an 1/8 inch diameter hole is drilled perpendicular to the shaft. A 1/2 inch diameter by 2 inch long stainless steel threaded rod with matching 1/8 inch diameter hole drilled in it is coated with 2 ton epoxy and screwed into the stick body until the 1/8 inch diameter holes line up between it and the stick shaft. Once the epoxy has cured, an 1/8 inch diameter by .75 inch long steel roll pin is driven through the holes, locking the stainless steel rod in place. It ain't commin' out. This is about as bomb-proof an attachment system as I have been able to come up with. The flash suppressor is then screwed down onto the threaded rod.

Your choice of either 2 ton epoxy, threadlocker, or wrench tight to secure the flash suppressor (hint: you may want to be able to remove it when new, even crazier things come out in the future ). If not specified, it'l come threadlocked.

Each stick will have a length of Thru-Stick-Grip. 1 inch on the 4 inch OAL sticks, 2 inches on all the others.
Cheers, Brendan
I BLEED TOXIC GREEN

SimpleIsGood229

Ahh, okay. Thanks, Brendan.
God Bless Texas!
Μολὼν λαβέ

Michael Cook

Post by Michael Cook »

:spyder: I carry a sharkie marker with the marking sanded off. :spyder:
More of what does not work will not work. Robin Cooper, Rokudan; Aikikai.

There is great power in the profound observation of the obvious. John Stone, Rokudan; Aikikai
stoneman

Post by stoneman »

Those look awesome! I really like the way the paracord is worked through the handle :)
-Steph
-"How many of those spyder thingies do you really need? "-my girlfriend-
_ SERENITY NOW!!!!!- Frank Costanza
gandalfe

Post by gandalfe »

As an alternative to the traditional Kubiton, I would suggest a design produced by James Keating, designer of the Chinook.It's a nasty little device that works very effectively. Image It comes in many colors and dosen't look like a weapon.
jzmtl

Post by jzmtl »

I have no idea how to use a kubotan but I modded a gerber diamond sharpener a while ago, I suppose it can be used as such.

gandalfe wrote:As an alternative to the traditional Kubiton, I would suggest a design produced by James Keating, designer of the Chinook.It's a nasty little device that works very effectively.It comes in many colors and dosen't look like a weapon.
I was gona get one, but then I wondered if the cops here can use the brass knuckle law to get me in trouble.
cyberspyder

Post by cyberspyder »

gandalfe wrote:As an alternative to the traditional Kubiton, I would suggest a design produced by James Keating, designer of the Chinook.It's a nasty little device that works very effectively. Image It comes in many colors and dosen't look like a weapon.
Stinger ;)
I BLEED TOXIC GREEN

AUXCOM

Post by AUXCOM »

I wish this was real........
Attachments
Fake Spyder Kubo.jpg
Fake Spyder Kubo.jpg (14.95 KiB) Viewed 12583 times
" As Iron Sharpens Iron, So one man sharpens another" Proverbs 27:17
cyberspyder

Post by cyberspyder »

That actually looks a bit painful if stuck on a hard surface...the knurling would hurt your hands alot.
I BLEED TOXIC GREEN