T-mag conversion?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
tonydahose

T-mag conversion?

Post by tonydahose »

for all you tinkerers out there i posted the question to STR...i took my old one apart to help show him what it looks like...i thought i'd post it on here too since there are a few knife makers on here.

sorry i doidnt clean it before the pics...i did before i put it back together :rolleyes:
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
Murdoc

Post by Murdoc »

Well.... I'm no knife mechanic, but it seems impossible to just cut out a working liner lock bar out of the Ti liner because of the cut-outs near the pivot... than would have been a simple solution IMO (and I was fooling around with this idea, too). It seems that a new liner would be needed at least.

Don't want to know the price for such a conversion... not less than triple the closeout price of this knife, I'm afraid :(

It would be much cheaper to invest in a Sage instead and keep the T-Mag original :o

Dennis
nicholaspoole

Post by nicholaspoole »

Murdoc wrote:Well.... I'm no knife mechanic, but it seems impossible to just cut out a working liner lock bar out of the Ti liner because of the cut-outs near the pivot.
it looks like a perfect setup for a compression lock

SC14BK
C78BK
C109BKP
C115CFP
C122
C11GRE

and more too come
picobrain

Post by picobrain »

How about making it a fixed blade?
Murdoc

Post by Murdoc »

How about making it a fixed blade?
Just tighten the pivot screw like ****... you're done :D

Dennis
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

Murdoc wrote:Just tighten the pivot screw like ****... you're done :D

Dennis
i tightened it a bit and it was a pita to close....crank down on it and use some loctite and you have a fixed blade. or close to it :D
My knives
cobrajoe

Post by cobrajoe »

nicholaspoole wrote:it looks like a perfect setup for a compression lock
Actually, no. There's nothing to compress the lock, the blade pivot area is perfectly smooth.

I'm thinking the best possibility would be to make a new liner that would engage on that small area at the front of the tang.

Unless there would be some way to make a "front compression lock"...
MEMBER OF THE INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE
cwt

Post by cwt »

Looks like the main notch is too far forward just to make a integrated liner lock out of the existing Ti liner. Dunno, I just buy 'em ;)

Question for Tony, can you tell us how the magnet is attached to the liner? I've had magnet-enabled tools before, like a multi-driver with interchangeable bits, where the magnet is stronger than whatever glue was holding it on, and the magnet comes off. Just curious...
Kev-Man

Post by Kev-Man »

Good picts Tony. I am intrested to see what ideas people come up with. Looks like a compression lock is out. The metal around the pivot is cut out round, which like cobrajoe pointed out, will make it hard to do a compression lock. And from the first picture it looks like the Ti is cutout so the magnet has a seat to lock in meaning no Ti to try to cut for the compression lock.

I'm sure the more ideas get thrown around a good combination or individual idea will be discovered.

Kev.
RIOT

Post by RIOT »

can anyone see how easy it would be to make that knife locked open ?

if you can see inside the choil there are some slots where you could put in a little metal rod of some sort right behind the blade, locking the blade open after you put it back together, this would also make it never shut until you took it apart though

can anyone see this too ?
ozspyder

Post by ozspyder »

Notch at the bottom end of the blade tang/ opposite side to the magnet lock can have a metal bar. A one-piece bar which doubles up as a handle and a lock for the top and bottom cutouts would be perfect and make a rock solid stop. Clamp, screw, and embellish with some scales if you want :)

WOuld be dead easy for the mechanics in here.
Cheers
Daniel (Certified Persian & Kopa nut)
Facebook profile: https://www.facebook.com/ozspyder
:spyder: I love my: Persians, Kopas, and Lums
:spyder: * Daniel's Spyderco Hoard *
:spyder: * Ozspyder's Kopa Kabana *
RIOT

Post by RIOT »

datan wrote:Notch at the bottom end of the blade tang/ opposite side to the magnet lock can have a metal bar. A one-piece bar which doubles up as a handle and a lock for the top and bottom cutouts would be perfect and make a rock solid stop. Clamp, screw, and embellish with some scales if you want :)

WOuld be dead easy for the mechanics in here.
exactly!!!

it looks like it would fit perfect with NO up and down play, but who knows till its done
Spyharpy

Post by Spyharpy »

This may be a possible idea. I used Tony's image to illustrate. The red line would be a cut in the liner that would have be bent inward. The blue area is where the liner would make contact with the blade area behind the tang. Plenty of contact area for a secure lock. Worth a try. A spare liner (if obtainable) could be used to test without modifying the rest of the knife.

cobrajoe

Post by cobrajoe »

Spyharpy wrote:This may be a possible idea. I used Tony's image to illustrate. The red line would be a cut in the liner that would have be bent inward. The blue area is where the liner would make contact with the blade area behind the tang. Plenty of contact area for a secure lock. Worth a try. A spare liner (if obtainable) could be used to test without modifying the rest of the knife.
That's pretty close to what I was thinking. It would hold the blade open, but I don't think it would be quite as strong as a normal liner lock.

Now, I was trying to figure out how to include some sort of pin that would engage into the scale, but would slide out when the liner locks. That was the "Front compression lock" I was thinking of earlier.

I think the best part about this design is that you could keep the magnet, or replace it with a similar sized piece of steel.
MEMBER OF THE INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE
ClockWork

mmm

Post by ClockWork »

Spyharpy wrote:This may be a possible idea. I used Tony's image to illustrate. The red line would be a cut in the liner that would have be bent inward. The blue area is where the liner would make contact with the blade area behind the tang. Plenty of contact area for a secure lock. Worth a try. A spare liner (if obtainable) could be used to test without modifying the rest of the knife.

That looks more like a Liner lock than a compression lock.

I bet that STR or someone could make a liner-lock for the T-Mag.
The Magnet could stay and act as the stop pin. And act as a "detent" to prevent the blade from swinging open. Eliminating the need for a cut out in blade to keep it closed.

This may have me re-thinking the T-Mag. I like the design, and "abnormal" blade. But strongly dislike the "Magnet-lock"

Maybe we could all get together, and Get STR to do a mass group Mod of multiple T-mags into Linerlocks. If 5 10 20 of us get together and have the exact same thing done... maybe it'd be worth it?
???
STR? if you read this? What do you think? :o

-Clockwork
:) Favorites: Black Paramil w/ D2 blade, PE Mini-Manix, S90v Military, Civilian, SE Dodo, PE Police, Sage

Vist my eBay store: Life and Liberty Gear
Tactical & MOLLE gear, Headgear and more

stores.ebay.com/Life-and-Liberty-Gear
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

ClockWork wrote:STR? if you read this? What do you think? :o

-Clockwork
i asked him first and the response was not positive...i posted here to see what ideas people could come up with...here is the thread

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showt ... p?t=594914
My knives
ClockWork

Post by ClockWork »

tonydahose wrote:i asked him first and the response was not positive...i posted here to see what ideas people could come up with...here is the thread

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showt ... p?t=594914
shoot

:(
:) Favorites: Black Paramil w/ D2 blade, PE Mini-Manix, S90v Military, Civilian, SE Dodo, PE Police, Sage

Vist my eBay store: Life and Liberty Gear
Tactical & MOLLE gear, Headgear and more

stores.ebay.com/Life-and-Liberty-Gear
tomcrx

Post by tomcrx »

Would it be possible by inserting a sleeve bushing, thereby moving the pivot hole 1/8" toward the tip, to make a slipjoint? You wold have to replace the magnet with a back spring.
oregon

Post by oregon »

Using the magnet theme to boost the knife's "lock" in the open configuration:

1. N52 strength magnet replaces the existing magnet
2. Magnetize the blade so that the pivot end attracts the magnet
3. Install a second N52 magnet in/on the blade so that the two magnets attract

Result: You have a heck of a magnetic knife. Which: easily sticks to refrigerator or car, picks up nails and screws, can be made into a compass during survival situations ("The Edge"), closes with a guillitine snap (if you can close it at all), attracts cutlery off the counter and toward your pocket as you work in the kitchen and add your own comments here...

oregon
spyderwa

Possible solution

Post by spyderwa »

Thanks for all of the photos and ideas. I think that I have a possible fix for those times that you might want to use the knife for more serious chopping. If you look at the pics you will notice holes cut into the liner above the finger choil. If you carefully drilled through the carbon fiber scale in line with the front hole it looks like a pin placed through it would lock the blade open until removed. I am thinking that a small pin with a small d-ring might do the trick. This fix would not require any major machine work and would preserve the integrity of the knife since the only change would be a small hole on the scale. If the hole lines up with the stop on the blade then I think this might work. Thoughts?

spyderwa

Rare Spyderco Page
http://www.angelfire.com/trek/spyderwa