New Fillet knife, isn't it time?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

New Fillet knife, isn't it time?

Post by JD Spydo »

Being my dearly beloved Catcherman model has been mothballed for almost 3 years now. I think it's high time to consider maybe bringing it back in either H-1 or a coated version of MBS-26 or even some kind of mystery steel for that application. I really miss the Catcherman as I am down to just having 2 of them now and it is a really fantastic fish fillet knife and a great food processing knife as well.

From what I hear Benchmade is doing well sales-wise with their newest folding fillet knife and it just seems a shame that there isn't a fishing/fillet knife in the Spyderco line up to compete with BM.

I would also wish that they could offer a new one in full SE because I was lucky enough to score a full SE, AUS-8 Catcherman I use it quite a bit for all kinds of food prep chores>> and it is a shark going through all kinds of fish, poultry & meat. Well Spyderville is it time for a new fishing/fillet knife? If so what are your thoughts and/or ideas on it?
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
Agent Starling

oh, yes...

Post by Agent Starling »

Isn't it time?...oh, yes, it's time all right...time for Starling to learn of the kitchen uses of Spydercos...sounds like a good idea JD...nice signature quote, by the way... :rolleyes: :spyder: :D :cool:

Agent Starling
"Too many was too many, but way too many was just right."
uhiforgot

Post by uhiforgot »

Ok, I'll bite.

Now that Spyderco is working with H1 on a regular basis, they have what may well be the perfect steel to either resurrect the Catcherman or start from scratch on a new fillet knife. The conditions have never been more perfect for a Catcherman Salt, so I hope this thread has the same influence as the immortal hawkbill thread :cool:

I'm with you, JD!

A very wise man once told me "Eat to live; don't live to eat." ...To my knowledge that's the only stupid thing he's ever said.
Agent Starling

beeeeeeep...

Post by Agent Starling »

uhiforgot wrote:The conditions have never been more perfect for a Catcherman Salt, so I hope this thread has the same influence as the immortal hawkbill thread :cool:

I'm with you, JD!
Dial 1-800-HAWK-BILL...AT THE TONE THE TIME WILL BE...WELL...YOU KNOW... :p

Agent Starling
"Too many was too many, but way too many was just right."
JD Spydo

Operators are waiting

Post by JD Spydo »

Agent Starling wrote:Dial 1-800-HAWK-BILL...AT THE TONE THE TIME WILL BE...WELL...YOU KNOW... :p

Agent Starling
Oh aren't we the funny one now :rolleyes: Actually Agent Starling that's 1-866-Hawk-Bill :eek: :D Someone had already taken the 1-800-Hawk-Bill number so we had to go with the 1-866 exchange :p . I hear that the gal that answers the phone is rather "sharp tongued" :eek: Operators will be there around the clock to take your call :eek: Wouldn't Lilly Tomlin be proud of that one :rolleyes:

Well Girl I do think it's high time you got to know your way around the kitchen. Didn't your mommy or your granny teach you to make lye soap and how to sharpen your knife on an old butcher steel :o No Jenn Air ovens or Kitchen Aid dishwashers for you until you learn to use your "Kitchen Spyders" properly. Oh wouldn't you and Martha Stewart make a neat-o infomercial.

Get yourself a disco'd Spyderco Catcherman Agent STarling and you'll see the light ( through the Thumb Hole of course :D )
JD Spydo

The tradition fits well

Post by JD Spydo »

OK, OK enough tom foolery for now :) But do think about it for a moment. Haven't you ever heard the old adage "Dance With The One That Brung Ya".

It only makes sense that Spyderco would go back to it's basic premise. Because when you think about it kitchen and utility cutlery had a lot to do with making Spyderco a name synonymous with food prep blades.

With the Catcherman already being acknowledged as a really top notch fish fillet knife as well as a super good knife for kitchen and butchering uses it just makes sense not to let the concept die. Making the Catcherman in H-1 would essentially make it a completely new knife all the way around. I also like the idea of going back to the Yellow handled Catchermans as well so they could be ideal for companion use with the other Salt series.

Or I would be up to considering the Catcherman in another blade steel if anyone would suggest something that would be great for kitchen use.
Shike

Post by Shike »

Catcherman with yellow handles and H1!
Doc Pyres

Post by Doc Pyres »

I'm in fer sure! I love the Catcherman. I really like the idea of a yellow one in H1 to match the Aqua Salt, etc. But is it possible to make a Catcherman blade out of H1?
JD Spydo

Blade steel suggestions for new fillet knife

Post by JD Spydo »

Doc Pyres wrote:I'm in fer sure! I love the Catcherman. I really like the idea of a yellow one in H1 to match the Aqua Salt, etc. But is it possible to make a Catcherman blade out of H1?
Why wouldn't it be possible to make a Catcherman out of H-1. Of course it's possible. Now for certain the H-1 blade would have different properties than it's MBS-26 & AUS-8 counterparts but it would be a great blade for sure.

But if you all have another suggestion for the blade steel in a resurrected version of the Catcherman I would sure like to hear what you all think. I wouldn't even mind if they made a Catcherman with 52100 carbon Steel with a coated blade. It would be a different animal than a stainless version but it might just be interesting needless to say.
Detdaddy

Post by Detdaddy »

Absolutely, I agree. I've said several times that an H-1 fillet knife is a must. A 6-7 inch fixed blade. I'd call it the shark tooth, or something catchy.

But I don't recall seeing any posts from anyone at Spyderco, that would hint they are interested. :(
Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for lunch. Freedom is a well-armed sheep contesting the vote.

Tolerance is the virtue of a man without conviction.
uhiforgot

Post by uhiforgot »

JD Spydo wrote:Why wouldn't it be possible to make a Catcherman out of H-1. Of course it's possible. Now for certain the H-1 blade would have different properties than it's MBS-26 & AUS-8 counterparts but it would be a great blade for sure.

But if you all have another suggestion for the blade steel in a resurrected version of the Catcherman I would sure like to hear what you all think. I wouldn't even mind if they made a Catcherman with 52100 carbon Steel with a coated blade. It would be a different animal than a stainless version but it might just be interesting needless to say.
I think that Doc Pyres is getting at the fact that with as many merits as H1 has, it also presents an equally interesting set of problems in certain contexts because of its relative softness. A while ago somebody brought up the thought of using H1 for assembly screws and other hardware, but it's unclear whether or not H1 threads would strip too easily. The BIG question here is: In a super thin blade like a fillet knife, would H1 be able to flex and return to its original shape?

On a separate note, I don't disagree that a 52100 Catcherman or other fillet knife would be interesting... but that's about as far as it goes for me. Out on the water (especially of the salted variety) 52100, even coated, is going to take a lot of potentially irritating maintenance. "Interesting" doesn't always mean "practical."

A very wise man once told me "Eat to live; don't live to eat." ...To my knowledge that's the only stupid thing he's ever said.
JD Spydo

Trying to gather info for a new fillet knife: that's all

Post by JD Spydo »

That's why I was answering a question more or less with a question>>> I would like to know myself if H-1 has special properties or has limitations that would not make it ideal for using as a fillet knife ( Catcherman or any fillet knife for that matter).

Yeah I can certainly understand your concern using a carbon steel blade in a salt water environment. Even a lot of respectable stainless steels don't hold up as you would expect in some salt water environments.

Even putting H-1 aside for a moment you could still re-introduce the Catcherman or even come out with a new fillet knife with a completely new blade steel. There are many good steels out there ( Including high carbon) that make great fillet knives.

I just love the design of the Catcherman and I love the fact that it folds and stores in a backpack, tacklebox or fanny pack very conveniently. But that's why I started the thread was to see what all ideas we could come up with that might make a new fillet knife a possibility.
fs216

Post by fs216 »

Right on! I'm so on that, it's not even funny. I have 6 or 7 of the Catchermen, in various styles and black and yellow. Finally found an MBS26 version and now know why they went with it - MUCH more flexible, which, for me, is key in a filet knife. I keep one in my tackle bag, and one on my boat. I like the combo edge - just the right amt of serration to cut thru a backbone when you need it, and the Looooong straight edge is RIGHT for even the largest mahi. The fact that it's a folder is what blows my fishin' buddies away. And that Spyderhole makes it easy to open when your mitts are slick with, well, fish guts.

So, I second the re-issue. I'd like to know how H1 would hold up - my smaller H1s are in the salt all the time, and not one has shown rust yet - though I do clean them well often, and oil 'em. I'd get in line for a couple of H1's if Sal and Co. commenced to making them again - and get a bunch as gifts for my fishing crew. Selfish as I am with Spydercos, that is one that deserves to be shared!

Count my vote as YES for this one!
uhiforgot

I'm good at being subtle...

Post by uhiforgot »

JD Spydo wrote:I just love the design of the Catcherman and I love the fact that it folds and stores in a backpack, tacklebox or fanny pack very conveniently. But that's why I started the thread was to see what all ideas we could come up with that might make a new fillet knife a possibility.
Point taken.

*Ahem*

Excuse me, Sal, but is it safe to assume that Spyderco still has the means (i.e. molds and other tools) to produce FRN Catcherman scales/bodies? *nudge-nudge ;) ;)* The design and engineering for the Catcherman has already been processed, so time and money can be saved there too. *HINT-HINT-HINT*

Only one variable remains to be changed: Blade steel. Whether or not your prototype maker can produce an H1 Catcherman blade to proper specs and Frankenstein it into a classic chassis for testing is unclear... but I know that it would make JD, Starling, Shike, Doc Pyres, Detdaddy, fs216 and I VERY HAPPY!

*AHEM*NUDGE*WINK*HINT*

JD Spydo

WE can be flexible and patient if need be

Post by JD Spydo »

Hey "uhiforgot" I am as big of a Catcherman fan as you are and I love to work with that blade. I even have one in my kitchen :cool:

However if Spyderco wanted to come out with a completely newly designed folding fillet knife I would be in for that one as well. And with some thought I'm wondering if the properties of H-1 steel would be compatible for a design like the Catcherman.

Being if they elected to make a fishing/fillet knife out of H-1 that is> But I'm open to making a completely new model out of any of the premium blade steels. I hope I'm not alone in wishing for another Spyderco fishing fillet knife. Because function and practicality is one of the main selling points that brought me to be Spyderco fan in the first place
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

I've got a great H1 fillet knife already... it's called the Rock Salt. You should see how quickly it takes apart our largest Chinook, Calico and Coho Salmon... :D :D :D
JD Spydo

Alaska Fishing blade

Post by JD Spydo »

clovisc wrote:I've got a great H1 fillet knife already... it's called the Rock Salt. You should see how quickly it takes apart our largest Chinook, Calico and Coho Salmon... :D :D :D

Hey Clovisc it's great to hear from you up there in land of the midnight sun :) The fishes you just described truly would take more than a typical fillet knife to dress and prepare. Hey buddy those types of fish that you just mentioned are big enough to stand up and fight :eek:

Sounds like some terrifically good eating though ;) I've yet to try out the Rock Salt but your recommendation now has me adding it to my "want list".

The Rock Salt truly does sound like a premier blade for sure. But I still maintain that a great folding fillet knife would still have it's place even in that environment. That would be a great name for this newly proposed blade. We could call it the "Alaskan Fish Folder">> Always great to hear from you brother Clovisc :)