A familiar dilemma??

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jezabel

A familiar dilemma??

Post by jezabel »

Hi all,
I sure a lot of you here have had to make this decision at some point in time. The Military or a Manix CE?
I work in the Film/TV industry, my day can involve anything from carpet laying to food prep to bush clearing and everything in between. While at work I carry on me a Caly Jr, a BM Griptilian CE or Native SE and a large "box cutter" plus a whole lot of other guff which I wont go into just yet.
I'm a firm believer in using the right tool for job. And my as far knives go, my truck which is never too far away contains everything from scalpels to a machete.
Anyway, I've been looking for a well built large slicer, I know the manix is well built, but how good is it as a slicer? Especially as only the combo edge is available to me now.
I know the Military should handle slicing duties well, but I've always been a little wary of liner locks, also I'm not too fond using very "pointy" knives in confined spaces with fifty people running around..
I was also looking at an Endura zdp189 but am really wanting a flat grind.
.... then I also just want a Paramillie D2 to play with :p

Any advice guys??

J.
ozspyder

Post by ozspyder »

Kia Ora mate,

For what you have described I would recommend a Military in PE. I use one for picnics/ food prep or anything requiring slicing. The thinner and longer blade should do the trick a bit better over the Manix in CE.

Box cutting maybe better served with a full SE Millie or Endura though. But the Military PE should also handle this job quite nicely.

Good luck making a decision :p You can't go wrong.
Cheers
Daniel (Certified Persian & Kopa nut)
Facebook profile: https://www.facebook.com/ozspyder
:spyder: I love my: Persians, Kopas, and Lums
:spyder: * Daniel's Spyderco Hoard *
:spyder: * Ozspyder's Kopa Kabana *
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Manix and Military should be fairly close in the slicing department. Both are full flat ground, both have fairly wide and relatively thick (4mm) blades. Military offers a quarter inch more blade and is nearly two full ounces lighter. Manix offers fully ambidextrous lock and your choice of carry (tip up or down, right or left hand).

Personally, I've yet to feel underequipped while using my Stretch and find both the Manix and Military too bulky for my tastes and their blade far to thick for anything I need to cut. However, if forced to carry one or the other I would opt for the Manix. In addition to being better suited for left handed use, it feels better in my hand and is nearly half an inch shorter closed, making it easier to carry in my preferred style (loose in the pocket).

One final point to consider. The Manix has been discontinued for a while, and even the green Sprint Run version has become difficult to find, at least at a reasonable price.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
catamount

Post by catamount »

2 other options to consider are the Police 3 and G-10 Endura.

http://spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=358

http://spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=302

Both are FFG, and excellent slicers.
Tom

[url]http://spydercovt.com[/URL]
Sequimite wrote:I use knives. I collect experiences.

I'm an admirer of Spyderco's designs. Using them is like immersing yourself in music or studying a painting in a museum. I buy some "fine" art but my preference is for usable art.
Junior avatar courtesy of dialex
Shike

Post by Shike »

I love the Millie but I have to agree with Deacon and go with the Manix on this one.

Shike
Henry1960

Post by Henry1960 »

I Also am Millie first and Manix being my secound favorite. But also have to agree with Deacon and Shike That being the situation you are using this knive that the Manix would be your best choice.
Henry

My Wife Say`s I Buy One More Spydie She`s Going To Divorce Me....God I`m Going To Miss Her!!! :rolleyes:
jezabel

Post by jezabel »

Cheers Guy's
I wouldn't have had to ask the question if a PE Manix was available, I suppose I'm mainly concerned about the combo edge of the Manix limiting slicing capabilities .
I'll still be using the Caly Jr for delicate work, the Bm grip/ Native Se as my beaters and the box cutter for any situations which would either damage my knives or require a lot of repetitive cutting.

J.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Jezabel,

Welcome to the Spyderco forum.

A full flat grind with a superior steel and good edge geometry is difficult to beat when it comes to slicing.

Also the greater the width of the blade, the more acute the blade geometry, thickness being equal.

The other models mentioned, Police3, Endujra4 G-10, etc. also have the same grind. The Barong as well is a wide full flat.

sal
Shike

Post by Shike »

I am a plain edge fan but if I had to do all the different types of cutting that you described, I would be inclined to go Combo.
ozspyder

Post by ozspyder »

Hmmm, curious.....

I must check both my Manix and my Military. I actually thought the Millie was a thinner stock. Obviously I was deceived by the slightly longer blade and the optical illusion fooled me into carrying it more than the Manix !

For food prep/ picnics etc I prefer the longer cutting edge to slice up fruit, sandwiches etc. The Delica is capable enough and is usually one I carry with me to the beach/ picnics etc. But the extra little bit of length really makes a difference between a one cut or a multiple cut. Sometimes the one cut option is the safer option ;) ask me how I know :p
Cheers
Daniel (Certified Persian & Kopa nut)
Facebook profile: https://www.facebook.com/ozspyder
:spyder: I love my: Persians, Kopas, and Lums
:spyder: * Daniel's Spyderco Hoard *
:spyder: * Ozspyder's Kopa Kabana *
jezabel

Post by jezabel »

Thanks for replies everybody. I'll let know how I get on.... My supplier supposedly still has a couple of manix Ce's left.

Cheers J.
jezabel

Post by jezabel »

Well I said I'd give you an update on how I went... Both my suppliers could no longer get their hands on a Manix after saying they had them in stock... :rolleyes:
Didn't end up going with the Millie either.
A picture says a thousand words so here she is... :) :D :)
Attachments
web002.jpg
web002.jpg (57.65 KiB) Viewed 2096 times
Billy

Post by Billy »

EXCELLENT choice! My favorite HD folder! The Chinook is a beast but still a helluva slicer. Congrats!
I prefer to ask for forgiveness rather than permission.
I LOVE MY MILLIES
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
jezabel

Post by jezabel »

Yeah I'm liking this a whole lot. I'm of work for a little while so wont be putting it to any real use for some time, will give me a chance to get used to this beast. I think I might have throw up some pics in the gallery later...

Bo.