Alton Brown and a Spyderco!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
rorschach

Alton Brown and a Spyderco!

Post by rorschach »

I liked Alton Brown's Feasting on Asphalt shows and now his new series is called Feasting on Waves. AB has many nice watches and folding knives the can be seen in his various shows, but in the latest ep "Island Thyme" he uses (I think) a pacific salt to prep some fibrous root thing. Took a couple screen shots for fun.

Perfect choice for a long sea journey!

Feast on!
-Rorschach :][: RHOS
McBain

Post by McBain »

It does look like a Pacific Salt!!!! I have a PE and SE Pacific Salt for kitchen duties as well. Good find!!!
-The children are right to laugh at you Ralph, these things couldn't cut butter-
AH2525

Post by AH2525 »

rohrschach you beat me to it! I love "Good Eats" and the "Feasting on" series but did not get around to watching the recording of Sunday's show until last night. When I saw the Spydie I hollered so loud it scared my wife. I know in the earlier Good Eats he used Spydercos more but has been exclusively Kershaw for pocket knives lately. It was neat to see the Spydie in action.

So far on "Feasting on Waves" it looks like he has used a SAK while on teh ground and my thought is that he is being careful of knife laws as most of these islands are European territories. Any thoughts?

He has some good knife use and care videos up at New Graham, FYI.
mrappraisit

Post by mrappraisit »

I saw that too! Awesome, I knew I liked that guy! He also used a SE Delica or Endura a couple of years ago on Good eats.
After enlightenment, the laundry.
J Smith

Post by J Smith »

He is really into knives.He was at Blade in 07,visited the Busse table for a good while from what I heard.
I would like to meet him,very intelligent but also very down to earth.
[CENTER]0 0[/CENTER]
[CENTER]<[/CENTER]
[CENTER]\____/[/CENTER]
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

Cool find! It's stuff like this that helps to promote our favorite pocket knives as 'useful tools' to the general public. Way to go Alton.

Wouter
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
Darkfin

Post by Darkfin »

The Salt was again the star in the fourth and final episode of Feasting on Waves "Won Love", making its initial appearance on Salt Island, of all places. Later in the show, the "boss" appeared to be using a different Salt model to chop food, as while Alton's was serrated, his appeared to be PE.

The fact that Alton was using Spyderco surprised me, as he is a part of the Kershaw family, having designed his own line of Chef's knives for them. In the first two seasons of "Feasting on [Asphalt]", he used several Kershaw products including a ZT 301, Silver G-10 Blur, Whirlwind and even a big Outcast for some chopping.

Alton goes to every Blade Show (he lives in the area), I ran into him in 04 and again in 07. Definitely a knife nut!

Oh, and for anyone who wants hidden buried treasure from AB, check this out....
There isn’t any symbolism. The sea is the sea. The old man is an old man. The boy is a boy and the fish is a fish. The shark are all sharks no better and no worse. All the symbolism that people say is ****.
~Ernest Hemingway (describing The Old Man and the Sea)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
carrot

Post by carrot »

I wonder if AB is amongst our numbers on the forums? I love his show...
Latest :spyder: -- Blurple Para2
HaroldB

Post by HaroldB »

Saw Alton's show here on Food Network tonight and saw that Spyderco Salt too, KOOL :cool:
AH2525

Post by AH2525 »

I saw Ep. 4 last night also. It was pretty funny that he used teh Salt knife on Salt island to cut salt from a salt pond. Maybe I'm a lttle too into the details. It was great to see a spyderco so prominent on TV and especially in the type of environment that the Salt series seem perfect for.