Stickers on your car - good or bad?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Fred Sanford

Stickers on your car - good or bad?

Post by Fred Sanford »

In addition to Agent Starlings thread on car SD, I wanted to add another question without hi-jacking her thread.

How do you folks feel about stickers on your car? Like, a Spyderco sticker in the rear window or an H&K, or Glock sticker. Good? Or does it pretty much say "please visit my car or follow me to my house and steal my stuff"?

I used to have a Spyderco bug in the rear car window but I took it off because I figured it might invite thieves to steal knives I may have in my car.

What say you?
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I avoid them, for just the reasons you mentioned David. There are some areas where a bit of paranoia is a life skill :D and I think this is one of them.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Good thread topic David...Stickers IMHO are a big no no...I'll even go so far as to suggest when renting a car in another city or local you bring a razor blade with you so that after you pull off the lot you can scrap the rental agency sticker off the car, I know the car rental industry is going to dislike my suggestion....but being in a rental car makes you a big target for the criminal element.....Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

Dr. Snubnose wrote:Good thread topic David...Stickers IMHO are a big no no...I'll even go so far as to suggest when renting a car in another city or local you bring a razor blade with you so that after you pull off the lot you can scrap the rental agency sticker off the car, I know the car rental industry is going to dislike my suggestion....but being in a rental car makes you a big target for the criminal element.....Doc :D
Boy Oh Boy, that is FOR SURE something I agree with you about. I take the little "Enterprise" rental stickers off when I rent a car. Nothing like saying "I'm an out of towner, please take advantage of me". :D
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
Mr.Sparkitle

Post by Mr.Sparkitle »

I have four stickers on my GTI. Two NEUSPEED stickers that measure 3" x ".75" in my quarter window and two stickers for the VW club i head in the area. Sticker looks like this and is about 3" OD. Image The SLOVW sticker i know has gotten me some strange looks due to a similarity to the Nazi bird, but ignorance to history is not some thing i am going to let bother me. Now political stickers on a car are a big no no, as are stickers on paint.
vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

I figure the harder it is for someone to pick my vehicle out in a lot the better... or complain about...

think, which makes a better report?
a: red pontiac with a cowboy hat in the back window, and eagle head decal on the side window and a vanity plate reading "suckka"

b: dirty car, think it was red, and I couldn't read the plate but it looked like "128 something something something"
Coffee before Conciousness
Why do people worry more if you argue with your voices than if you just talk with them? What about if you lose those arguements?
Slowly going crazy at work... they found a way to make the voices work too.
Caly E

Post by Caly E »

I have an easy removable, plastic, light-weight, shatter proof racing window which I think takes away from my stickers and screams, dont waste your time. Image
The only thin gthey will find is a decent machete.

I dont really see how a $2 sticker will motivate someone to thief esp when you drive a $25k + ride.
Agent Starling

Post by Agent Starling »

I used to put bumper stickers on my car--when I was in college (the first time! :) )

I no longer do. In my state, carjacking is rampant, and anything I can do to have my car blend in with the others is beneficial. Why give a thug an easy identifier like a cutesy license plate or bumper sticker...it would just make a car easier to follow.

Am I paranoid? No. Two members of my family nearly got carjacked 2 months ago, in a part of town where there is very little crime, in a so-called, "good area".

Another incident: A road rage driver, who was driving erratically, got on my tail a few weeks ago and actually followed me home! I don't know why...i was driving home from the grocery store in broad daylight, I look in my rearview and a crazy lady is jostling her steering wheel quickly back and forth and seemed to be giving me a dirty look...for sure a nut, as i had just been moseying along...and I noticed she was following me.

Anyway, she followed me home and stopped her car in the street in front of my driveway. I quickly got out of my car, went inside, and the lady had then driven down my street, turned around, and parked her car in front of my driveway again for a while, then left. And I'm like, what the ****? what did I do to her to make her follow me home...must be someone off their meds...

I tell ya, since I have moved out west I have seen more nut cases than I ever have in my life!

Anyway, good thread, David, didn't mean to hijack, but I just wanted to provide a few examples of how random crazy things can happen to anyone, anywhere, anytime...and by the way, i live in a so-called "good neighborhood"...nevertheless, every week there are burglaries and such going on.

Agent Starling :D
"Too many was too many, but way too many was just right."
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Again I don't mean to hijack David's thread but after reading Agent Star's story I had to tell you a funny story that happened to my aunt many years ago....My aunt (may she rest in peace) was a small women...maybe 5'0" tall in high heels...Well to get to the story my uncle bought her one of those french cars called the Citron (I think that's how it was spelled), anyway cause of her height she could only see the windshield by looking thru the space between the steering wheel top and dash. She parked her car in town by backing up into a space in front of another car....she did her shopping got back into the car and started driving home...Then in her rear view mirror she saw a car right on her tail...she became very nervous, so she made a left turn just to lose the person following her...the other car followed, so the next time she made a right and that car was right on her tail again...she started to freak out, driving thru parking lots...speeding up...slowing down...turning around, driving around the same block twice...but whatever she did that car was following her...she started to get heart palpitations, and when she saw a police station on her right hand side she pulled in fast slammed on the brakes....jumped out of her car and ran into the station screaming on the top of her lungs to the desk Sargent, that some psycho was chasing her in his car, trying to kill her by running her off the road... and was right outside the station...Guns drawn the police went into the parking to investigate only to find that my aunt had hooked the bumper of another car and was dragging it all over town...she was so scared that she never realized there wasn't a driver in the other car...We all had a good laugh about that one....but the poor guy's transmission :eek: :eek:....Sorry David I just had to tell that story....LOL...Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

It's not just the criminal element that reads stickers. A friend of mine heading back up to michigan from NC was stopped in Ohio for no apparent reason. The trooper noted the NRA sticker on the vehicle and asked if my friend minded him searching the vehicle for guns. My friend is in his 70's BTW. The sticker read "NRA Life Member"

No warnings for moving or equipment violations, just the "contact" looking for something that caught his eye.

If I'm not mistaken he would have been ok if he had a weapon in his trunk, unloaded. He didn't, but still refused permission. The trooper kept him there for awhile after the refusal to search, then allowed him to leave.

Probable cause sometimes varies from magistrate to magistrate IME. Is a NRA sticker probable cause in Ohio? Joe
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
dialex

Post by dialex »

And I remember many years ago, I forgot the car in front of my house, unlocked and with the keys in the ignition contact. It stayed there for three long days and no one attempted to steal anything. But those days are gone, I'm afraid :(

Coming back to the topic, the only sticker I'd put on my car would be the IPA one (IPA being an acronym for International Police Association). ;)
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

i have a FOP sticker (fraternal order of police) and a 9-11 sticker that reads "never forget".
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
Majidoc

Post by Majidoc »

No stickers.
Life is a process not an event!
cobrajoe

Post by cobrajoe »

I don't do stickers for a different reason: I just think they look tacky.

I'm a huge gear head, so I'm often buying parts for any one of the cars in my possesion, and every speed part always comes with a sticker, I just put them on my computer :D

Usually, when I'm approaching the finish of a car project, it is obviously my car, even my non car friends can easily pick it out of parking lot. BUT I have no stickers, cute plates, plate frames, antenna bobbles, window tint, extraneous lights, or any other obvious feature on the outside of my vehicles. I like to keep my cars simple and tasteful on the outside, and insanely powerful in the inside :D (If I can afford it that is..)
MEMBER OF THE INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE
GlenD65

Post by GlenD65 »

I like to keep as low a profile as possible so stickers are out. If I want people to know my thoughts, I'll tell them what I'm thinking...and I do.
flipe8

Post by flipe8 »

I've got my IAFF sticker in both my vehicles, and I think they've gotten me out of a ticket once. I also have a yellow "Support Our Troops" as well on both vehicles. On my Jeep, I also have a small Strider decal. Reading these threads makes me happy to have not felt the real need to be so vigilant around my parts. I honestly cannot remember the past time someone was carjacked around here. Sure, we have crime, but I often walk out of my house leaving the door unlocked(might not anymore after posting this :D ). No guns in the house, but the 110lb dog might not be overly inviting to any would-be thieves. Out of curiousity, how many members here have been the victims of crime? 15 years ago, I did have my Jeep broken into. That being said, I never lock the doors, as I'd rather a thief open the doors over cutting the fabric windows. And, there was nothing of value in the Jeep as I don't leave things in it.
Interesting thread.
Spyopera
SFKW sugilite Kiwi
CRK Small Sebenza 31
Far too many sold...:o

Trusting my own experience
vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

flipe8 wrote:Out of curiousity, how many members here have been the victims of crime?
lets see...

had my last car broken into twice (lock popped the first time for a little over $200 in missing stuff, window smashed the 2nd time for a pair of safety glasses and a flashlight)

had the gas siphoned out of the van once

had the alarm tripped on my car when I worked at the tarp factory a handful of times (line of cars on the street and no windows on that side), but by the time I'd get out the door they'd be gone.

been followed a few times with my last car and the van before that... but they get bored after I go up and down the university roads a few times. Only had one guy go on the sidewalk and stop in front of me on those roads.

I've been robbed and jumped numerous times when I've been out walking. I'm on my 3rd 21" baton.

I try to make myself as unremarkable as possible.
I could grow my hair again (just took it down to the normal 1/2" again), go on a crime spree with my truck (borrowed plate of course)... come home, shave my head and the beard... and likely not get hauled in, never mind picked in a line. Folks I work with have to look twice when I shave :eek:
Coffee before Conciousness
Why do people worry more if you argue with your voices than if you just talk with them? What about if you lose those arguements?
Slowly going crazy at work... they found a way to make the voices work too.
McBain

Post by McBain »

I have a BEARS sticker on my rear window

DA BEARS!!!! (...they need all the help they can get this year)

I also have a small dive flag in the corner of the rear window, in case my Jeep ends up in the water, boats will know to stay away :D :D :D
-The children are right to laugh at you Ralph, these things couldn't cut butter-
markg

Post by markg »

I doubt most of the world would know what the Spyderco "spider" Benchmade Butterfly, or Emerson Pirate was about anyway... I would not worry too much about that.

Firearm related stickers might be an issue. More people, and in particular criminal element, know what they mean. They also (as was pointed out) tend to get you unwanted attention from police during vehicle stops. In my state, if you are a permit holder (CCW) it will come up anyway during a traffic stop.

Right now... I have a Nissian 350Z... stickers look out of place on the bumper, and the rear window is so angled you would not see them anyway...
snuffaluff

Post by snuffaluff »

i think it just depends on the content of the sticker. I see people with stereo stickers which screams to me, "I've got a nice stereo for you to steal"
Other stickers don't really advertise anything and just have a statement or advertise a car club, etc. These I don't see a problem with, it's when you have these name brand stickers labeling all that is inside your ride. If a thief wants to break into your car and steal something, it doesn't matter what you have for defense, they'll do it.