Would you lend a Spyderco to someone

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
DainBramage

Post by DainBramage »

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I thought of something that just happened that I thought was funny.

I've recently gotten into folders (read: Spydies), kitchen knives and sharpening. I'm getting some pretty good results... shaving sharp every time... hair whittling sharp is more of a challenge, but I've done it a few times. Anyway, I was working with a friend on a little project, and he needed to cut something, and pulled out a folder. When I asked him what he had he said, with complete seriousness and pride, "This is the finest knife made in America". I asked if I could check it out... it was a Kershaw Leek. I thought the assisted opening was novel (but didn't like the fact that unless you put on the "safety", it could just pop open if you bumped it wrong), hated the framelock (I've always thought they didn't feel terribly secure, and don't like that you need to use two hands to safely close them). I felt the edge, and told him that it was nice, but it needed to be sharpened. He agreed, and said he'd have to find somewhere to have it done. I asked if I could sharpen it for him. He said sure, but wait until he could bring a spare with him. So the next day, I made sure to bring my Delica 4 (PE, FRN), which was my first Spydie. We ended up leaving each other our knives at my work, and mine had a note asking him to use the Delica for whatever cutting jobs (not prying or anything else abusive!) he would normally have. I got a message from him that night saying something along the lines of, "Wow, that is a fine knife you've got there. It's well-built, feels great in your hand, and is perfectly balanced. And man, it's SHARP!!!". He went on and basically gushed about the knife for a good little while.

Anyway, when I saw him again, we traded back, and he gushed a little more. He didn't retract his "finest knife made in America" statement (which I guess he didn't have to, since the Delica is made in Japan!), but I'm glad that my loaner opened his eyes to the beauty that is Spyderco!! Not sure if he's going to run out and get one, but he was definitely impressed.

P.S. He called me later and told me that he couldn't get over how sharp I got his Leek. :D
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

I'd loan out a delica/native/endura/salt in a heartbeat. (provided it's not gonna be abused) It's just a knife.
BDNX

Post by BDNX »

Not really anymore...I was missing my favorite Case knife for nearly a week once when I lent it to someone at work to merely cut a quick box or two. Pretty much the only way I lend any of my knives to people is if I can keep an eye on them while they use it.
scout

Post by scout »

Anyway, when I saw him again, we traded back, and he gushed a little more. He didn't retract his "finest knife made in America" statement (which I guess he didn't have to, since the Delica is made in Japan!),
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Leek isn't American either, is it? Good story!
spydutch

Post by spydutch »

Nope....... ;)
Arend(old school Spydie lover)

MEMBER OF THE INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE!!!

VERY PROUD OWNER OF A CALY III/SE #043 :D

....AND A FG(PARA) MILITARY/SE IN CPMD2(thanx Sal):cool:

...I would love to have one in full SpyderEdge:p
JackDaKnife01

no way !

Post by JackDaKnife01 »

Nada : Don't loan "anybody" my Guns,,,Knives,,,Cash,,,Truck or Car == best way to lose a friend or a good co-worker as when they use and abuse and then say 'Gee I'm sorry' no/no - sorry don't cut it once your pride and joy has been destroyed. Believe me - I learned the hard way 'years' ago !!
ken

Post by ken »

Sure I would. If they liked enough I might even give it to them. Not the very expensive/rare ones. It's a tool made to be used. Not much good just sittin' in the pocket.

ken
ken
MAT888

Post by MAT888 »

At work there is a lot of cutting involved opening unpacking incoming goods. Most have cheap boxcutters. On nasty stuff some ask(ed) me to do the job. I don't borrow as they think they can use them as crowbars :o .

So i don't lend . I ask for the problem and fix it myself.
Next to that some people i don't trust at all so they don't even know i carry...

I gave away a couple of byrds to appreciated college and a friend. Inexpensive but they were very pleased with them. ( 1 was broken within a couple of months) I tend to say; keep a cheap screwdriver arround for that kind of un-crating but people won't listen :o . He bought himself a g10 meadowlark himself. After that he got somewhat more carefull ;) .
( My friend got a SS Cara)

I even had to teach my misses: She used to twist cut on hard materials and even cut inward bound towards limbs and bodyparts :eek: .!!!

Always think what do i have to cut and what is my body/mids position. ;)
Maarten
member of FFG Club
Agent Starling

Post by Agent Starling »

Would I lend out my Spydercos??? Heck no!

Agent Starling
"Too many was too many, but way too many was just right."
DainBramage

Post by DainBramage »

scout wrote:The Leek isn't American either, is it? Good story!
Thanks! Now I see there's a "have you converted anyone?" thread... maybe someday I'll be able to post the same story there!! :spyder:

According to Kershaw's site, all models of the Leek are "Made in the USA".