House SD

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
LowSpeedHighDrag

Post by LowSpeedHighDrag »

I have a Glock 22 sitting on my night stand with a TLR2 on it. My wife has a Glock 19 sitting in hers also equipped with a TLR2. In my closet is My 870P with 8 rds of 00 Buck in it and 6 rds of slug on the saddle. Along with that, I have a Saiga AK47 with a loaded mag near it and an OA AR15 with a loaded mag sitting next to it also. I also live in a military neighborhood in off base housing. I pray for the poor soul who enters my domain.
MOLON LABE
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I don't know of any foolproof or really "uber tacticool" way of doing this stuff that is not still pretty dangerous
Calling in help and blowing up the building from outside , when you're not in it is the only real foolproof way. How many of us have F16block 52's flying a pattern above our houses waiting with JDAMS though?

In the military, we learned to clear rooms with multiple grenades, or stand off weapons. We didn't use doors, we made holes in the walls. I don't mean stun grenades either. Even FBI HRT, and Op Det. Delta can lose people in room clearings, and that's their speciality.

If you have a safe room, just make sure it has an exit in case of fire.

The thought of going on the offensive against multiple armed bad guys isn't a pleasant one, and would be only done in the direst of emergencies.

As I said before if the bad guy(s) wanted to leave I sure wouldn't want to stop them. They can even have the TV if they want it. Joe
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
ken

Post by ken »

Agent Starling wrote:There have been lots of threads on SD for one's person...what about your house? Do you have an SD plan for it, and what is it?

For me, this is a work in progress...but I want to hear your thoughts first!

Agent Starling :D

Don't need a plan... have many dogs.....what ever the dog's leave behind the cat's can have.

If I need a gun it will be a Taurus Judge..to bad I live in california.

ken
ken
Agent Starling

Post by Agent Starling »

Lots of good ones, to be sure...thanks all for your input.

I've also heard of also using psychology, or fake-out defenses, if you will...stuff like posting a Beware of Dog sign when there is no dog, using generic alarm signs. Things to place doubt in the would-be perps mind that yours is not going to be an easy house to hit.

The deal with the generic alarm signs, rather than using a specific company's sign, is to not help the perp out by telling them which company's system you're using, as these people tend to learn them all and you've now helped them out...I never see it done in practice since most people never think along those line, but I think it's a good idea.

Agent Starling
"Too many was too many, but way too many was just right."
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

when i was going through the police academy i was living at my parents house and we had a string of break ins in the garages on the block. my back yard gate was right next to a light pole so the yard and the garage side door were pretty well lit. i hung a target from the firing range with about 50 holes in the center mass and just as many head shots on the side door, below it read Chicago Police...we never had our garage broken into ;)
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
Agent Starling

Post by Agent Starling »

tonydahose wrote:when i was going through the police academy i was living at my parents house and we had a string of break ins in the garages on the block. my back yard gate was right next to a light pole so the yard and the garage side door were pretty well lit. i hung a target from the firing range with about 50 holes in the center mass and just as many head shots on the side door, below it read Chicago Police...we never had our garage broken into ;)
Gotta love it! Good going tony! :)
Echo63

Post by Echo63 »

If something wakes me in the middle of the night i have a few bright surefires, a sharp spydie and a impact tool beside the bed
if whatever woke me is a threat, it will be put in a world of hurt
power is nothing without control
MountainManJim

Post by MountainManJim »

I’ve have always wondered how I would handle an intruder. Last night I got a glimpse of how it might play out …

I’m a city boy living in a rural mountain community. So, even though the neighbors are out of shouting distance, I’m religious about locking doors (all deadbolts) and windows. Exterior lights are motion sensing. We have four dogs, two upstairs near the bedroom and two downstairs with the chickens (long story). Flashlights and an 8” knife are close to the bed. I have some SD training. No real guns allowed in the house, not that they would have helped me last night …

At about 12:15 AM, I am woken by the dogs. It wasn’t their usual “oh I see a mouse or deer” bark, they were seriously agitated. I am normal a heavy sleeper, but I had just gone to bed. I get up quickly, rush out bedroom. Wife hardly stirs. So, there I am in the great room trying to determine what the dogs are upset about; deer, need to potty, aliens, what? I don’t have my glasses on, I’m in my skives, no flashlight but for some reason I have a Spydie Standard with me (2.5” blade, in the skives, oh I am unstoppable). I did fumble around for glasses, a SD knife or a flashlight because I didn’t want to wake my wife; she gets ticked about that kind of stuff. Then … the light goes on at the front door. We (dog and I) run to the front door. Outside is good size black bear :eek: I then realize, I am not really equipped for this interloper :o

This concerned me a bit because normally, if I was actually asleep, I would have just yelled at the dogs and rolled over. If I did wake up, I would have been useless. I need at least a half hour to become alert or to see straight. I can’t begin to imagine attempting to safely locate a gun or to use it responsible in my half awake condition :confused:

As for the bear, I did not release the dog on the bear at the front door. As much as Willie wanted to chase it, I didn’t feel like driving to an emergency vet at that hour. I got my pants on, the Surefire and the paintball gun, but by the time Willie and I got out the door the bear was across the yard and over the fence. They can move really fast. We will see if we can improve our response time, next time ;)

Jim
I Like Sharp Things

Current Favorite: Caly 3.5, Super Blue. We're done here. It doesn't get better than the Caly 3.5
Billy

Post by Billy »

Haha, funny story Jim! Yeah, up in rural NJ, my dad has had some run-ins with black bears the last few years as they have made a huge comeback up there.
But it does bring up a good point about the "dry run" and how you will react in an actual situation. On several occasions I have been awakened out of a dead sleep by what I thought was a very loud bang (dreamt it maybe?). On those occasions, the instant adrenaline rush slammed me into wakeful alertness and high intensity defense mode. Luckily, there was nothing going on, and the first hint was, no dogs going off. But I was so sure I heard something on those occasions, I still grabbed my .45 and went through the entire house, garage and then to the outside perimeter of the house, the whole time every hair on my body standing up and my eyes bugging out of my head in full-on fight or flight mode looking for the intruder or the sign that someone tried to break in. I think it's good to know you will actually follow through on your plan when it comes down to it.
I prefer to ask for forgiveness rather than permission.
I LOVE MY MILLIES
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Majidoc

Post by Majidoc »

My Chicago home is in the sky. My Michigan home is on the ground and the home which I spend most my time in. Hence I will discuss my Michigan home. A small cottage, 2000 sq. ft. on small lot 80x 110. Start with auto lights, spots...14 of them. Color security cams, 12 of those plus one PTZ, images go to a DVR. I have three monitors inside to view. A monitored security system, both wired and wireless to monitor. Had a German Shepherd dog...recently died. I usually carry a S&W J frame. When I add a Colt 1911 Gov't .45 the J frame becomes my bug. Many Spydercos of course, and SF flashlights. That is my set-up. By the by when I'm in Chicago or anywhere else I monitor the Michigan cameras on my laptop. I will get another dog when I finish grieving.
Life is a process not an event!
markg

Post by markg »

Nothing new to add to the tactic discussion... Early warning (alarm systems, dogs, etc.) "perimeter" defense (lighting, signs, etc) and safe room...

As for my "tools" I have a SIG P229, .40 S&W and one of many Surefire's. I have knives around... But if my home is being invaded and I am knife fighting, it is not a good day...

Two points I would add.

I have 4 kids. Ages between 10 and 15 (some are step-children, no we did not have 4 kids in 5 years!!!). So gun safety is important. I have my SIG loaded and stored bedside in a small GunVault Safe. It is quick access, however very secure. I have had it for years and nobody has gotten into it, and I don't think they even try. It does not secure valuables from theft (you can pick it up and walk away with it), but it does make them pretty much tamper resistant. Best $80 I spent.

Also, with high output flashlights...

I am a flashlight geek... So I have played with many. IMHO, I try to limit my "in home" defensive lights to no more than 120 lumens. I have played with some 250+ lumen lights, that when used in a darkened room not only take away the intruders night vision... So much light is pumped out... it effects even you own. I find this is not as bad with lights below the 120 lumen range. Again... YMMV.
Agent Starling

Post by Agent Starling »

An interesting option I've read about to deter an intruder is the use of a marine air horn. Heck, I guess the right gauge of shotgun would accomplish the same thing.

Agent Starling
JabFynger

Post by JabFynger »

MountainManJim wrote:
We have four dogs, two upstairs near the bedroom and two downstairs with the chickens (long story).
I've read through this thread a few times for info/entertainment reasons, and for some reason this cracks me up every time. :D It would be cool to see threads like this (and the related "Car SD" thread) active again. They are enjoyable and valuable to read.
"You could have opened that with your hands." "Ya, but this knife cost me $60...the hands were free.":spyder:
Jimd

Post by Jimd »

If it was a home invasion and they just kicked the door in and came charging in, my plan would go as follows:
1. Draw Glock 19 or XDm.
2. Point pistol.
3. Press trigger repeatedly until all bad people fall down.
4. Repeat as necessary.

If it was a night time break-in scenario, it would hopefully go down like this:
1. Our several dogs would go wild barking, waking us up.
2. Open gun safe, insert 30-round magazine into AR-15, rack the charging handle.
3. Light up bad people with Surefire tactical light that's mounted on AR-15. If bad people drop weapons and put up hands, everyone stay happy.
4. If not, pull trigger until bad people fall down, repeat as necessary.
5. After police leave, call cleaning company to clean up the pools of blood and blood spatter on walls, along with body parts.

Combat shooting calls for lots of practice.
Referee in the Bowels of ****
Email: ST8PEN01@aol.com
Artwork For Sale

"...We few, we happy few...we band of brothers...For whoever sheds his blood with me today shall be my brother." - William Shakespeare

If you are not willing to stand behind our troops, by all means, please stand in front of them!
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

I have weapons near my bed, a window to leave and a cell phone to call backup.
"Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
Sir Humphry Davy
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

SolidState wrote:I have weapons near my bed, a window to leave and a cell phone to call backup.
I have weapons in my bed, a window to throw thugs out of, and a cell phone to call the morgue....Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

The only weapons I have that are easy to get to are a baseball bat and a machete. The machete hangs in a central place in the home kind of hidden by my dog's leash, umbrella and a few other things. I live in the country and have an older home that doesn't look like a great target for a thief. We do have quite a bit of easily sold items though like TVs, computers, stereo, OH and let's not forget my 9 or 10 knives. :) I believe my best defense is to not LOOK like a good target. Plus I don't think my family's life would be threatened by a break in especially when I help them load their truck. The only way I would fight if they were well armed is if I felt my life was threatened. Then I would kill them if possible and grab one of my kitchen knives and put it in their hand if something wasn't already there.

Jack
PS
I saw something on TV once about a woman who had a break in. She got her pistol and shot the guy once. He still got to her and hurt her. The moral is if you shoot someone keep pulling the trigger until they to down. That was the lesson she learned and her statement (paraphrasing).
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

From any point in my house... I can have a handgun in my hands in less than 30 seconds, and a long gun in less than a minute. If I can beeline for the firearms, or if I'm in a room close to them to begin with, those times are cut by at least half. I've uh... well, I've checked. Such is the price of paranoia. That's if I have to avoid the most likely points of ingress... or at least, the ones I would use. If someone gets clever and starts using the skylights... I've got bigger problems than not having a gun (such as having evidently made an enemy out of someone who uses skylights to enter buildings). :-P
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
- Theodore Roosevelt

"I twisted the knife until I heard his heart-strings sing."

- Jim Bowie concerning Maj. Norris Wright
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

Jimd wrote:Combat shooting calls for lots of practice.
Also... this really can't be repeated often enough.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
- Theodore Roosevelt

"I twisted the knife until I heard his heart-strings sing."

- Jim Bowie concerning Maj. Norris Wright
SQSAR

Post by SQSAR »

There is a lot involved in home defense that needs to be accounted for when preparing a plan for your home/family. Keep in mind, anyone can make their home Fort Knox, but then how practical would that be? You need to introspectively look at you and your family's 'appetite for security' by looking at the 'risks' you feel you face. Again, risk being: Threat x Vulnerability x Consequence. In other words, you need to look holistically at your situation through these three lenses to determine how to best deploy your efforts and funds.

That said, one way of looking at security is a layered approach. Look at the area where your property resides, then look at your property line, then the perimeter of your house, then, then, then all the way to you and/or the things you want to most protect. The particulars of what would be called 'options for consideration' for each of these layers could fill bookshelves. However, for home security, one good place to start your research is on the principles of CPTED (Crime Prevention Through Environmental Design). Easily searchable on the web, this will help you get an understanding of what you can do in your living space and property to aid in developing your own safety by mitigating vulnerabilities. Also, look up the crime demographics in your area, to see what crimes (Threats) are most likely to occur. These are just a few ideas, hope they help.