Tomorrow Will Be A Tough One

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Jimd

Tomorrow Will Be A Tough One

Post by Jimd »

I type this with tears in my eyes. Tomorrow, I have to put down our beloved Welsh Corgi, Charlie. The cancer is just too advanced, and his breathing is so labored, we just can't bring ourselves to allow him any more suffering.

God, why is this so difficult!! Every time I'd look at him today, the tears would come. Explaining it to my 5-year-old daughter wasn't easy, either; my wife took care of a lot of that this morning. But this afternoon, we all had a cry session, and it's really tough when she says, "Daddy, I don't want Charlie to go to heaven yet." It rips my heart out. My 14-year-old is also pretty upset, as is my wife. But the little one is really tearing me up.

We got Charlie 11 years ago, on the day that my wife had her first miscarriage, which makes this all the more sentimental.

Guys, the hour of dread is 0900 tomorrow (Wed.), so I humbly ask that anyone who wants to, please pray for us and for Charlie. I don't often ask for prayers, but this one will be tough, I'll be going it alone. My wife can't bear it, and I won't subject my children to it.
Referee in the Bowels of ****
Email: ST8PEN01@aol.com
Artwork For Sale

"...We few, we happy few...we band of brothers...For whoever sheds his blood with me today shall be my brother." - William Shakespeare

If you are not willing to stand behind our troops, by all means, please stand in front of them!
nathan310

Post by nathan310 »

That's so sad! :(

I'm sorry to hear that.
jeff189

Post by jeff189 »

My condolences to you and your family.
KSDbass

Post by KSDbass »

Your family and dog are both in my prayers.
Custom avatar courtesy of Dialex!

Bill Brasky could destroy Chuck Norris.

Just
Empty
Every
Pocket
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Hang in there Jim. I held my girl Jack russell in my arms as she went to sleep. I owed her that much for all the love and good times she provided me and my family.

Make charlie feel loved and protected his last waking moments as he is drifting off to sleep ( two stage process)

It is one of the toughest things to do, but you owe them the best you've got.

Don't forget to tell him to hang around heaven and wait untill you get there to find him. Joe
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
WhyNot

Post by WhyNot »

Jim,
I went through the same thing with my collie almost three years ago. She was with us for for almost 13 years. We got her when she was just a few weeks old...Still do not have guts to get another dog.
What helped me to get through was a thought that unlike people dogs have a chance to be spared from suffering when pain becomes unbearable. This is the best you can do for Charlie right now.
Take care,
Mark.
"It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it." Sam Levenson
silverback

Post by silverback »

I feel your pain!
We had to put one of our cats to sleep in March, it was **** hard.
You are in my thoughts.
Few people think more than two or three times a year; I have made an international reputation for myself by thinking once or twice a week. -George Bernard Shaw

Go is a pursuit of such value that one can devote a lifetime to it and have nothing to regret. Why not, then, challenge the limit of your powers. -Toshiro Kageyama 7-Dan
dialex

Post by dialex »

Dear Jim,
We've been together in this Forum for how long? More than I can remeber anyway. You shared with us your stories and your art. You told us about many of your friends to whom, lust like you, life wasn't too kind.
And now fate seems to give you another blow. A dog is one of the best man's friends God ever created. He fills your lives with his unconditioned love and devotion. All he ever wants is some food, a pet and the privilege to stay with you. I know you will always remeber him fondly and for Charly, in his simple animal mind, this is enough.
We'll keep you, your familly and Charlie in our prayers.
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Prayers sent for you and your family Jim....Doc
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Jim, your family will be in my thoughts and prayers today. As someone who has "been there", I know how difficult making that decision can be, but can assure you that Charlie will feel no pain.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!

Post by 224477 »

11 years make a time one becomes a family member, for sure. Sorry to hear about your loss.
"Having a dull knife is like having a stupid friend."
EarthDog

Post by EarthDog »

Jim,

I'm so sorry to read of your family's pain and loss.

God bless you for having the courage to stand by your friend.
EarthDog
Hannibal Lecter

Bummer...

Post by Hannibal Lecter »

My Dear Jim,

Prayers sent - PM incoming... :(

--------
Hannibal
---------------------

"I have followed with enthusiasm the course of your disgrace and public shaming. My own never bothered me except for the inconvenience of being incarcerated, but you may lack perspective."
spydutch

Post by spydutch »

I feel very sorry for you and your familiy Jim.

Went through this a couple times myself so I know your pain buddy.

Take care and hang in there man.
Arend(old school Spydie lover)

MEMBER OF THE INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE!!!

VERY PROUD OWNER OF A CALY III/SE #043 :D

....AND A FG(PARA) MILITARY/SE IN CPMD2(thanx Sal):cool:

...I would love to have one in full SpyderEdge:p
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

sorry for the loss of one of your family members, for he is one. at least he will go out with you being there for him. take care.
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
snuffaluff

Post by snuffaluff »

awe heck man... I hate this type of thread as it makes me sad as well. Prayers sent on this tragic day for your family.

Do you have plans on another pup soon?
Jimd

Post by Jimd »

Thank you guys so much, I'm so blessed to have you for friends.
Charlie went peacefully and quickly this morning. I took him to McDonald's and bought him a saugsage mcmuffin with egg and he enjoyed his last meal. We talked for a while and I told him I was sorry for the not-so-nice things I'd ever done to him (thankfully, those were very few and far between). I think he forgave me.

The vet was really super, very soothing and caring. It was over in less than a minute, and I cried like a school girl.

My kids are taking it extremely well; my wife and I explained everything about this several times. I'm amazed at how reslilient our 5 year old is. It reminds me how blessed we are to have both of our children.

Charlie-Boy, I always will miss you! You'll always be our Top Dog, and nothing will ever replace that. I'm glad I could be there, holding you, as you took the leap into your next adventure. I just with the Goddamned tears would stop!!
Referee in the Bowels of ****
Email: ST8PEN01@aol.com
Artwork For Sale

"...We few, we happy few...we band of brothers...For whoever sheds his blood with me today shall be my brother." - William Shakespeare

If you are not willing to stand behind our troops, by all means, please stand in front of them!
Tank

Post by Tank »

I saw this thread a little late. :( :(Sorry for your loss Jim, that is the toughest thing to do but from what you said the best thing for Charlie, I wish you and your family the best and prayers sent.
-John
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

Jimd wrote:Thank you guys so much, I'm so blessed to have you for friends.
Charlie went peacefully and quickly this morning. I took him to McDonald's and bought him a saugsage mcmuffin with egg and he enjoyed his last meal. We talked for a while and I told him I was sorry for the not-so-nice things I'd ever done to him (thankfully, those were very few and far between). I think he forgave me.

The vet was really super, very soothing and caring. It was over in less than a minute, and I cried like a school girl.

My kids are taking it extremely well; my wife and I explained everything about this several times. I'm amazed at how reslilient our 5 year old is. It reminds me how blessed we are to have both of our children.

Charlie-Boy, I always will miss you! You'll always be our Top Dog, and nothing will ever replace that. I'm glad I could be there, holding you, as you took the leap into your next adventure. I just with the Goddamned tears would stop!!
Jim,

I'm sorry I'm late to the thread. I'm glad that it was over quickly and that you got to be there.

It's difficult to hold a friend you love in your arms while the life goes away. I know personally how difficult this is. It's wierd and sometimes it seems that you feel the life leaving.

Remember and cherish the good times you had. Animals are wonderful friends.

Later bud!
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
Agent Starling

Post by Agent Starling »

Prayers sent, jimd. I read this posting yesterday but I had no idea what words to say. I'm glad you made it through this alright, and condolences for your dear canine friend. At least you know in your own heart that what you did was for the best.

Agent Starling
"Too many was too many, but way too many was just right."