Shameless T-Mag ode

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
brj

Shameless T-Mag ode

Post by brj »

I have wanted the T-Mag since I first saw it, due to some residual emotions (at the age of 11-12 I was dreaming of a Victorinox Swiss Champ -THE knife for me at that time :rolleyes: - that would keep its implements open/closed via some small magnets placed inside the scales). Little did I know about knives at that time, so imagine my surprise in 2007 when I heard about the release of the t-mag.

However, it seemed pretty expensive then and I had knives placed on higher positions on my to-buy list so I was unable to purchase. A couple of months ago, with the T-Mag being discontinued and all, and since the Rocklobster was (still) unavailable :D , I’ve decided to go for it.

Now I won’t bother you with how nice the hollow ground blade slices or how cool the ‚Rare Earth’ stamp is, but I would rather like to contribute to the „electronic device interference” myth busting:

It was said that the t-mag could interfere with the good functioning of your cell phone or notebook, or that it may erase your credit cards. Please have a look at my usual EDC: cards & flash memory inside my wallet, Nokia E71 in left front pocket, IBM Lenovo T60 & external HDD drives in backpack.

I’ve carried the T-Mag day in day out for almoust a month now and I haven’t experienced either malfunctions or damage to data or devices. Heck, I even attached the T-Mag to an older HDD while connected to the PC, to the same result (or lack of...).

So folks, please be aware that the only way Spyderco is messing with the magnetic strips on your credit cards is by releasing beautiful/highly functional/state-of-the-art folding knives !!!

Sal, Spydercrew and Mr. Turnbull, please do not let the urban legends keep you from further refining this design and this wonderful idea.
Sam Vimes

Post by Sam Vimes »

Despite the adverse reports I still really fancy a T-Mag. As soon as I scrape the pennies together I'll have one. It's nice to see someone saying something nice about one for a change though.
RIOT

Post by RIOT »

love the way it looks, cant stand the way it locks!
skcusloa

Post by skcusloa »

As long as we are talking about it....

Will it stick to metals? like could you stick it to a car's fender?

I bet it would mess up mechanical watches.

I salute spyderco for it's locking mechanisms.
jujigatame

Post by jujigatame »

skcusloa wrote: Will it stick to metals? like could you stick it to a car's fender?
Sure will. I could hang mine on the side of my fridge.

I always felt there was some over-paranoia about the magnets potentially damaging things. The magnets are strong but the reach of that strength is relatively small. If you put it in direct contact with something that's magnetically sensitive, yeah, it could be a problem, but the credit cards in your wallet aren't in any danger when the knife is clipped in your hip pocket. Care and common sense should really be enough to prevent any issues.
~ Nate
Spyharpy

Post by Spyharpy »

Then there are some who just can't get enough. :D

mrappraisit

Post by mrappraisit »

I still love the strange look of that knife. If the magnets do not hold the blade open that well then why not just consider it a slipit? After I get a Stretch 2 I might pick one of these up.
After enlightenment, the laundry.
brj

Post by brj »

it's pretty funny how you must adjust your usage to the way the magnet operates, ie it will try to compensate the soft pushes (bring back the blade in the open position) or accentuate the harder moves (rotate the blade towards the closed position)
brj

Post by brj »

@Spyharpy: I must admit, that photo WAS among the things that triggered my buying decision ;)
GeorgeMaggos

Post by GeorgeMaggos »

Hey brj,

I have one myself & I like it alot & have had no problems whatsoever with it :)

Spyharpy wrote:There there are some who just can't get enough. :D
Hey Spyharpy,

wow :D you have 5 of them :cool: thats great.

~George
[CENTER]
~~~~~~~~~~
"The test of courage comes when we are in the minority.
The test of tolerance comes when we are in the majority. "[/CENTER]

[CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]

[CENTER]Even though you can't see Him, GOD has always been there for you <><[/CENTER]
Sam Vimes

Post by Sam Vimes »

brj,
Did you really have to post this thread? Now I've had to put an order in! ;)

P.S. The dimensions look quite similar on paper to the UKPK. Is this the case in real life?
brj

Post by brj »

P.S. The dimensions look quite similar on paper to the UKPK. Is this the case in real life?
they are comparable in every aspect that I can think of

brj

Post by brj »

Forgot to add that it did erased the data on my hotel room card, but only after 2 or 3 swipes of the knife over the magnetic strip. I have done this 3 times in a row (lack of ocupation in a prolongued trip with the t-mag my only knife :p ). Let me tell you, the puzzled face of the reception clerk was worth it... ;)
Sam Vimes

Post by Sam Vimes »

brj wrote:Forgot to add that it did erased the data on my hotel room card, but only after 2 or 3 swipes of the knife over the magnetic strip. I have done this 3 times in a row (lack of ocupation in a prolongued trip with the t-mag my only knife :p ). Let me tell you, the puzzled face of the reception clerk was worth it... ;)
My other half is a hotel manager. Believe me when I suggest that those key cards are quite good at erasing themselves without outside interference! ;) :D
feeny

Post by feeny »

it is far and away my sharpest out of the box spydie.
the cf on it is awesome - but i love the blade shape, not the hump so much, but that scimitar style upsweep is my personal favourite.

the lock is just too cool, but it does scare me a bit. mine is not really used much
Sam Vimes

Post by Sam Vimes »

My T-Mag has arrived. I can now see some of the downsides that people talk about but I'm happy enough with it and I'll happily use it. One thing that I can say it that I'd dearly love to see a UKPK with CF scales, the blade shape of the T-Mag and the blade tip jimping of the Ocelot. I'm a rabbit hunter in the UK so that knife would be a perfect EDC hunter. The T-Mag is so nearly there and although it's certainly not perfect it's not nearly as bad as many make out provided you accept it as slippit and not a locking knife.