Gent's Knife?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Avg_Joe

Gent's Knife?

Post by Avg_Joe »

I am fairly new to the world of Spyderco Knives and Spyderco seems to have about eleventy billion different models which I find to be overwhelming so I was thinking the experts on here could probably help me out. I am looking for a "gentleman's knife" and while I would love to have a William Henry, current funds will not allow me to own a knife of that caliber. So my question is, what does Spyderco offer that is more classy than tactical and that I can use for special occasions and such? I don't want to bust out a Chinook at a wedding, ya know?
RIOT

Post by RIOT »

lol a chinook at a wedding.

I dont own a Kopa but judging the size shape and looks, i think thats the perfect Gent Knife, i also like the Volpe but its more odd shapped and bigger
rcbalt2

Post by rcbalt2 »

The kopa and the kiwi. Both are really nice. The samll persian would also work.
There ain't no rules around here. We're trying to accomplish something.
- Thomas Edison
mrappraisit

Post by mrappraisit »

rcbalt2 wrote:The kopa and the kiwi. Both are really nice. The samll persian would also work.
+1 for those contenders.
After enlightenment, the laundry.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

It depends on how gentlemanly you are ;) . The knives already mentioned would certainly qualify, but the Centofante III is often overlooked. It is longer, but it is very thin and light in the hand and in the pocket. The thin blade makes it a great slicer, the smooth FRN looks clean and won't shred your slacks, and the inlayed Spyderbug makes it look like pocket jewelry.
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
tea

Post by tea »

Stainless Steel Dragonfly :cool:
feeny

Post by feeny »

lava/cricket
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Probably you will get better answer if you define little more of what you need and how much are you willing to spend. A little while ago we had a discussion regarding gents knives
http://spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33633

and quite a few of us have have little different image, so more details will help.
One member of this Forum got married, carrying C83 Persian, which a little too big for gents knife, 3.5" blade, but it is a masterpiece. I have no problem to carry C83 on dress-up occasions, if they are in my state, if it is NY, that I carry Kopa.
Also take a look in our picture gallery and may you will find, what are you looking for.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Avg_Joe

Post by Avg_Joe »

Thanks for the help guys! I didn't even know about the Kopa but I really like the look of it. Can't wait to try it!
Projek

Post by Projek »

Kopa, Kiwi, Kris
bh49

Kopa, the beauty queen

Post by bh49 »

Kopa.
2.5" Leaf shape Full Flat grind VG10 blade with finger choil. Tip down carry with clip positioned for right hand. Very comfortable grip, at least for my large hand.Nice cutter. For more details see Mr Blonde review.
http://www.spydercollector.nl/index1.ph ... ne#article
So far made with 12 inlays. 600 or less pieces each. Least expensive - black Quince, about $100 street price, most expensive as today Gold MOP and Turquoise about $190 at on-line dealers, but can get lucky and get for less on auction, if you wait for a while. You can find many pictures on this forum, just do search.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
spydermonkey

Post by spydermonkey »

I'd have to recommend :spyder: the Kiwi carbon fiber. No clip; nothing to snag on a pair of dress pants. Knife is incredibly smooth and feels larger than actual due to the design. Wharncliff blade is versatile for a number of apps. Carbon Fiber handle provides a bit more control in the hand via texture (and looks **** good too!).
Shike

Post by Shike »

If you like the clip I would say the ss Dragonfly. No clip? then it's the Kiwi, IMO this is the best made Spyderco in terms of fit and finish. The Kopa is also nice, althought I don't own one.

Shike
aj1985

Post by aj1985 »

The 25th anniversary Delica nuff said :D

I think that and the Jess horn Jigged can not be beat as a Gentleman's knife no matter what Spyderco comes out with in the future.

aj
Live in every breath

INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE
rlw1979777

Post by rlw1979777 »

LOL chinook at a wedding!!! Thats funny. Kiwi SFSW or Kopa. Plain, simple, elegant...
I have a small collection.. At least in my mind its small. All respect to Sal and this great company! Collector Club Member #120
scout

Post by scout »

I love my jigged bone Kopa (even though it was mis-engineered tip-down) :p It's just about as sheeple friendly as they come and NKP seem to recognize the bone as they would Gramps old folder.
The CoPilot

Post by The CoPilot »

Gentlemen carry the C09 CoPilot! :)
><> The most important blood trail leads to the Cross <><
C09 CoPilots My Specialty
Integrity is Being Good Even if No One is WatchingTM
Looking for: C04 Executive plain edge, C09 CoPilot plain edge with brass liners and a G-2 marked blade
MLR

Post by MLR »

The CoPilot wrote:Gentlemen carry the C09 CoPilot! :)
agree

+1
Orlando De Free

Post by Orlando De Free »

I think of my Caly 3 CF as a gents knife with its smooth carbon fiber scales and polished blade.
Orlando

If you didn't get my dirty joke it's because you have no sense of humus - Mom De Free
:spyder: Currently own
Ladybug 3 se, Assist, Ladybug se w/photon, Techno, Rubicon, Manbug ZDP, Dice
El Tigre

Post by El Tigre »

Mini persian or etched Dragonfly.

"El Tigre"
Folding knives can be classified in two large groups: Spydercos and the rest!

Please be patient, I dont speak english properly.