What commuting changes have you made?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Jakemug

What commuting changes have you made?

Post by Jakemug »

Just curious what you guys are doing that have to drive to work etc. since gas is way up. I've been considering purchasing an economy car but have held off due to current car being paid off. What changes have you made? Bought new car? Motorcycle?
Billy

Post by Billy »

I just recently started using public transportation since I can take my bike on the train. I live 5.5 miles from the commuter train line here in South Florida and it drops me off .5 mile from work. So I either drive to the station with my bicycle in the back of the jeep and then bike the .5 mile from the station to work. Or, if the weather is nice, I will ride my bike to the station. That can leave me a little "sticky" once I get to work though...even with a change of clothes. Either way, it saves me money since a round trip ticket is only $5 (if I buy 12 trips, it's even less) and my commute is about 17 miles one way. My Jeep Cherokee gets around 17 mpg, so do the math. The other benefits are even better though - a little bit of extra exercise and no stress due to commuting by car. I am actually really enjoying it, trying to do it at least 2 or 3 times a week and wondering why I haven't done this sooner!
I prefer to ask for forgiveness rather than permission.
I LOVE MY MILLIES
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
asfaltpiloot

Post by asfaltpiloot »

I'm using my bike when possible.
Robert

"Never leave home without a knife,
one day it may save a life"
Tank

Post by Tank »

I am fortunate enough to only live 2.5 miles from work so nothing has really changed other than I dont use my truck other than going to work unless I need to haul something.
-John
bluemist

Post by bluemist »

it is really surprising how stressful driving is and only once you seriously curtail it can you appreciate the stress free commute.. now that won't work in LA and there are some bus lines here I won't ride.. but mostly it is a lifestyle change with bennies above and beyond saving money. That said I am fortunate enough to live in a fairly large city that has placed an emphasis on sustainability for decades.
spyder spyder spyder spyder
AH2525

Post by AH2525 »

Well, I made a change. I turned in my man-card and bought a Yamaha Vino 125 scooter. It averages 85-90 mpg compared to my old Toyota Tacoma. I drive 12 miles one-way to work on mostly backroads. I get some looks, but mainly smiles and waves. It's a lot more fun than I expected.
EarthDog

Post by EarthDog »

I've dropped my speed and improved my mpg.
EarthDog
tduffydpa

Post by tduffydpa »

I haven't made many changes yet, but going to have to...the price is beating me up. I drive about 110 miles a day, 50 one way to work plus whatever else i have to do. I'm going to need a big raise this year, just so the company can have the "honor" of my presence ;) . Thank goodness i opted for the economy car and not a new truck when my old one died two years ago. i get 31 mpg +/- and i'm spending 100 dollars a week. i think that i'm due for a tune-up, that should help me improve.
Every time you speak, you put your mind on parade.
vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

bought a new truck :-p

went from a 95 firefly to an 08 ranger.
my ~200km a week for ~$20 turned into ~200km for ~$25... but now I can make 1 big trip to costco or the grocery store every month rather than fill the car every week.
Tomorrow's load from work (2-4 computers) would have taken a couple trips with the car.

also got a bike, but thats for weekends when I have time to waste.
Coffee before Conciousness
Why do people worry more if you argue with your voices than if you just talk with them? What about if you lose those arguements?
Slowly going crazy at work... they found a way to make the voices work too.
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

i haven't changed much. i work about 10 miles from work but i only go every 3rd day :) . summer is here so i have my toy out and i drive it hard and fast...screw the gas...i look foward to driving it all winter and i am going to enjoy it. :D
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
Jimd

Post by Jimd »

I carpool with a coworker to work. Round trip to work and home for me is about 68 miles.

I'd love to get a newer, more fuel-efficient car, but can't afford to, since my car isn't paid off yet.

Gas prices are kicking my a$$. I'd like to take my family to the shore for a day or drive to Gettysburg, but we just can't do even a short trip like that these days because of gas prices. My wife's laid off from work, so every penny counts.
Referee in the Bowels of ****
Email: ST8PEN01@aol.com
Artwork For Sale

"...We few, we happy few...we band of brothers...For whoever sheds his blood with me today shall be my brother." - William Shakespeare

If you are not willing to stand behind our troops, by all means, please stand in front of them!
flipe8

Post by flipe8 »

I've changed my driving habits quite a bit over the past few years, as my gas budget hasn't gone up much in relation to the rising prices. The biggest thing I've done has simply stopped taking the car out for spins and make each time I'm out with the car multi-purpose. I'll also bike to work once in a while. Both our cars are standards and I coast whenever possible( as long as it doesn't slow up traffic). I don't stomp on the gas, either.If gas prices continue to go up, I'd consider going to a super fuel efficient car(currently driving two Jeeps), while getting rid of one of the Jeeps. I work a bit in the summer as a kayak guide/instructor and I've thought about taking a portion of those funds and putting it into a "gas jar", taking a few bucks out each week off-setting the rising costs.
Overall, it hasn't change my life that much, but I'm thinking about it much more often.
Spyopera
SFKW sugilite Kiwi
CRK Small Sebenza 31
Far too many sold...:o

Trusting my own experience
thread

Post by thread »

I got a job right next door to the girlfriend's - now the 1/2 hour commute each way doesn't feel like such a waste :)
I try not to think about the gas costs - if I did I wouldn't be heading back to see my friends & family in Niagara Falls as often.
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

I drive 70 miles a day. I used to drive a Ford Taurus (2001) that got about 20MPG. I now have a 2007 Honda Accord with a V6. If I put my foot in it and drive around like I stole it it will get 22 MPG. So, I have started keeping my RPM's below about 2500. It takes a little longer to get up to the speed limit but I don't care. I no longer jackrabbit start. I put my car on cruise control on the highway right at 65MPH and drive in the right hand lane. I use the AC only about 35% of the time I'm driving and that's about it. My car currently gets 27.6 MPG!!!

I however think that the people that "Hypermile" to the extent that they cause traffic issues are idiots. :D

I almost wish that I would have bought a 4 cylinder stick shift Honda Civic.
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I just try to keep things in perspective.

From '94 to 01 I was racking up just over 900 miles a week commuting, and just under 1000 the last year of that. Moving to my current address cut that to 100 miles a week, Then, about four years ago we were offered the option of a "compressed" work week, so now I work four days each week and only rack up 80 miles a week commuting.

I also got in the habit back when I lived in the boondocks of planning my weekend shopping so that one trip generally covered everything and never really changed that when I moved here. So my fuel consumption was about as low as it's been in fifteen years before gas prices jumped.

There are rumors the State will start giving more serious consideration to telecommuting, and I'd jump on that if it were offered. But if not, I just keep reminding myself that in eight months, when I retire, my commute drops to zero. :D :D :D

Far as vehicles go, I have no real plans for change. My PT Convertible gets about 20mpg for the type of driving I do most of the time. It has air conditioning, but I only use it if it's both hot and raining, otherwise, in warm weather, the top goes down. :D I suppose I could do better by modifying my driving habits, but am at a point in my life where the couple bucks a week I'd save is just not that important. I'm definitely not "environmentally conscious" enough to consider public transportation. At the very least it would increase my travel time by 300% and would cost me almost as much.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
RIOT

Post by RIOT »

i would really love to buy a street bike but my mother told me " if you have any ounce of love for me DONT BY A MOTORCYCLE" :(

i average 20 MPG with my 06 330i bmw, but this is my first car that actually keeps me out of trouble, cops dont look at it really as much as my other cars
Agent Starling

Post by Agent Starling »

Haven't changed much...my commute due to school is long but that will be over very soon...then I will work right in my hometown so my commute will be practically nil...otherwise I guess I try not to drive when I absolutely don't have to, don't drive a gas-guzzler, and try to get errands done along the way of whatever route I am traveling on a given day.

Agent Starling :D
"Too many was too many, but way too many was just right."
Blackhair

Post by Blackhair »

I could have something to do with the fact that I don't have a Drivers License yet...

...but I've been biking to work as much as I possibly can. :D
It's actually a really nice ride, as I only live 3 miles from my work.

I plan on getting my License when I turn 18 in three weeks, but still biking everywhere as much as I can.

Cars are expensive. :rolleyes:
Back from an extended hiatus.
MountainManJim

Post by MountainManJim »

I drive a diesel Jetta which averages 40 mpg (measured by me) for my driving. I drive about 40 miles back and forth to work, if I don’t need to go to a jobsite,etc. Hence, I burn up about a gallon everyday or over 306 gallons every year. Wow, it’s scary when I do the math!

Before the fuel prices got out of control, I was burning 100% biodiesel. I was ~$3.70 a gallon at one point. Usually it ran about $1 more than dino-diesel (Dino-diesel is your typical diesel). Then one day it just shot up to over $5. Apparently the manufacturer could no longer get enough feedstock and needed to raise the price. The popularity of biodiesel had been growing quickly and with the food supply crunch I guess it was bound to happen (they use Canola oil to make the fuel).

Well, I haven’t ran 100% biodiesel since than. Currently I use a 20% blend of biodiesel and diesel. This adds about $0.10 – 0.20 per gallon but gives me several benefits. Almost no smoke, less odor, better lubrication for the engine’s fuel train and I get send less money to Middle East governments.

Jim
I Like Sharp Things

Current Favorite: Caly 3.5, Super Blue. We're done here. It doesn't get better than the Caly 3.5
OuchThatsSharp

Post by OuchThatsSharp »

I work a compressed workweek which amounts to 3 days one week and 4 days the next week, 52 miles RT. I drive a Silverado Xtended cab which on the freeway, I'm guessing about 19mpg (I have the 4.8L V-8). I now plan my other trips so that I can accomplish several things while I'm out. I park it otherwise and use the wife's Nissan for other trip's when needed. I spend a lot more time at home. Which is actually quite enjoyable if you have hobbies to keep you busy.
It's better to have knife and not need it than to need a knife and not have it.
[SIGPIC]http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s145 ... opelli.jpg[/SIGPIC]