hmmm... any update on the sprint llil'Temperance?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
golem

hmmm... any update on the sprint llil'Temperance?

Post by golem »

Sal once mentioned about this BG-42-blade titanium-handle badboy's already got prototypes out last year. Any updates?
psimonl

Post by psimonl »

Don't they have to get the Chinese Sprint right before?!?!? :rolleyes: :D
"Everyday above the ground and vertical is a good day".
-Sir A. Hopkins in "The world's Fastest Indian"

"If it hurts, it means you're not dead..."
-Kayakist Marie-Pier Cote

The Spyderco Cookbook
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

I've seen and handled an FRN proto a few years ago and then ...nothing... No concept model at Meets or shows, nothing. Either it is on the backburner or the spydercrew wants to surprise us. With the current massive influx of new models, I really doubt we're going to see it this year.

Wouter
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-28-2024 Instagram
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Golem,

It's on a back burner.

The constant challenge is to make a new model or refine an older one. Eric and I have more than 100 models on our project list.

the next challenge is to select / find a suitable maker.

We've refined the Lil'Teperance pattern and we think we have a nice design. It's not as wide as the original and accomodates more grips. It's still a stubby stout 3" knife.

Compression locks are difficult to make. Only one of our makers can make them on a large model, so far (plus our Golden plant).

We're also working on a stronger self-close for the larger heavier blades with Compression locks.

The Superhawk was a challenge, but the knife is exceptional, IMO. It did take quite a while to get right. We could make the Lil' Temperance with the same maker but it will be quite expensive, unless made with FRN (then the tooling is expensive).

Handle materials considered are, Carbon fiber / skeletonized liners, Titan, FRN with nested skeletonized liners.

Probably wouldn't use BG-42 at this time. 1.5 year waiting list for material and VERY high price for steel, not to mention processing.

sal
golem

Post by golem »

Sal:

Thanks a lot for the heads up!!! I am so glad to learn that the new lil't project is still alive (even though it's still hibernating :rolleyes :) . As for the handle materials -- CF, G10, Ti -- either will do!!!
amen74

Post by amen74 »

Mr Blonde wrote:I've seen and handled an FRN proto a few years ago and then ...nothing... No concept model at Meets or shows, nothing. Either it is on the backburner or the spydercrew wants to surprise us. With the current massive influx of new models, I really doubt we're going to see it this year.

Wouter
Hopefully they want to surprise us. From the backburner to the frontburner. What steel was used on this FRN model? Hard to believe it was a few years ago already. With none in production. Maybe next year? :D
Aaron

Current EDCs: Golden models
:spyder: FG D2 Military:cool: Orange UKPK:spyder:

NEXT: Rock Lobster, Manix2, TiMil
Agent Starling

Post by Agent Starling »

golem wrote:Sal:

Thanks a lot for the heads up!!! I am so glad to learn that the new lil't project is still alive (even though it's still hibernating :rolleyes :) .
...and the moral of the story is...all good things to those who wait! ;) :D

Agent Starling
"Too many was too many, but way too many was just right."
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

Personally, I would be just fine with the use of VG-10 steel. Just throw in some G10 handles, a Compression Lock, Nested stainless steel liners, and call it a wrap. :D
"A Delica is still a better weapon than a keyboard and a sour attitude..." Michael Janich
SoCal Operator

Post by SoCal Operator »

I'm always in the market for a stubby stout 3" knife.
Ask me where I got my awesome SUPERHAWK!

More like Mid-Cal now

Be Prepared
golem

Post by golem »

Yup, VG-10 would be just fine. Also, if the lock's retention power for heavy blades is a issue, will a ballbearing lock do the trick?
Halfneck wrote:Personally, I would be just fine with the use of VG-10 steel. Just throw in some G10 handles, a Compression Lock, Nested stainless steel liners, and call it a wrap. :D
liltemp1

Post by liltemp1 »

Please, count me in. :D
I'd rather be tried by 12, than carried by 6.