MBC Instructional Column #7

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Michael Janich

MBC Instructional Column #7

Post by Michael Janich »

I’m presently gearing up to teach MBC Levels 3 and 4 (to be held at Spyderco on 16-17 March 2002). While reviewing the curriculum for Level 3, which focuses primarily on reverse-grip knife tactics, I thought it might be a good idea to shed some light on the significance of this often-misunderstood style of fighting.

UNDERSTANDING THE REVERSE GRIP

My early training in knife fighting was a combination of military fencing-style knife tactics and a lot of sparring with wooden and rubber knives. Based on this experience, it seemed clear to me that the standard grip (with the blade extending from the thumb side of the hand) was by far the superior knife-fighting grip.

The standard grip – whether a traditional saber, foil, hammer, or Filipino-style grip –provided control, a good index, and excellent reach. In sparring, it was clearly superior to the reverse grip (with the blade extending from the little-finger side of the hand) because, with both participants taking an active role in offense, distance and the idea of maintaining distance were critical factors.

However, sparring is very different from self-defense. Sparring is mutual combat and usually takes place in an open area conducive to such activity. Conversely, self-defense typically involves clearly defined roles of attacker and defender and takes place in areas that most favor the attacker –cramped, confined quarters with limited mobility. Although many of the attributes one develops in sparring will still apply in a close-quarters defensive situation, long-range tactics are of little use. In such situations, the reverse grip comes into its own.

In standard-grip tactics, most cutting actions follow a downward path, while most thrusts are delivered upward. When the knife is held in reverse grip, however, these patterns are reversed. Most thrusts are delivered downward, while cutting actions follow mostly upward arcs. This brings out an entirely different set of body mechanics and forces the practitioner to close the distance with his opponent to be effective. In fact, in the Filipino arts, close range is often defined as the distance at which you can employ the butt of a weapon (usually a stick) in striking. If you think about it, the butt of a stick is very similar to the blade of a knife held in reverse grip. The true difference is how much weapon extends above the top of the hand.

Although the reverse grip does limit your striking range, it offers a variety of extremely important advantages:

1) Reverse-grip tactics include a variety of powerful cutting and thrusting actions that are very difficult to counter.

2) The reverse grip teaches the practitioner how to hook, trap, and redirect an opponent’s limbs, achieving tactically superior positions even at extremely close range.

3) Reverse-grip tactics bring out the body mechanics of close-quarters elbows and hammerfists – unarmed techniques that are very valuable when employed with or without a weapon.

4) Reverse-grip training teaches you to be comfortable at ranges where your opponent probably is not.

5) Reverse-grip training is ideal for learning how to use improvised weapons like ballpoint pens – an important consideration now that weapons carry is becoming even more restricted.

6) By relating the actions of the blade in reverse grip to the butt of a weapon held in standard grip, you can greatly enhance your standard-grip fighting skills.

7) Most reverse-grip actions are very compatible with instinctive fighting actions and gross motor skills. They are therefore very practical and effective when employed under stress.

Despite these benefits, many people still do not like reverse-grip knife fighting because it forces them to operate uncomfortably close to their opponent. However, you must realize that, second to being completely out of range of your opponent’s weapon, this is usually the safest place to be. If you can get so close that you are inside your opponent’s effective range, you are safe. And if you are in a position to effectively cause damage from that close range, you’re truly on top of the situation.

In summary, reverse-grip training offers a number of excellent benefits and is well worth exploring. But if you’re still not sold on the idea of switching your grip around and stepping in close, here’s a final thought – probably the most dangerous knife attackers in the world today are those who perfected their craft in prison where stabbing implements are most common. Many of these people are extremely adept at basic reverse-grip tactics and will not hesitate to use them on you. Even if choose not to fight like they do, if you don’t learn how to, you won’t have any idea what you’re up against if that time ever comes. The first step to developing any solution is to understand the problem.

Stay safe,

mike j
Scorpius711

Post by Scorpius711 »

I would like to add one more advantage to the
revese grip. If your opponet should some how get your back or he has an accomplince who tries too. You can still strike effectively, as shown in the first knife fight scene in the movie Exposure. Which was choreographed by one of Dan Insanto's student's Chris Kent, using techniques from the FMA.
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear Scorpius711:

You're exactly right. I neglected to mention that advantage, even though I demonstrated it myself in one of the street scenarios in my video "Fighting Folders."

Thanks for keeping me honest.

Stay safe,

mike j
Scorpius711

Post by Scorpius711 »

Mr. Janich,
from what you wrote above, it seems that reverse grip is harder to block. Is it also harder to disarm, once you have passed or grabbed a limb?

Also I was told by my FMA instructor that forward grip is best for offense and long range. Reverse grip is best for close range and defense. Which seems to follow what you are saying.

Finally I have found in general that people not familar with using a knife. Are more intimediated by the reverse grip as it seems to be more foreign to them, what is your expierence?

p.s. I really like the Instructional Column's :D

Edited by - Scorpius711 on 2/28/2002 9:12:25 PM
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear Scorpius:

Thanks for your post. Your interpretation is right on track. The reverse grip, used properly (NOT the exaggerated overhand stabs that make so many alleged empty-hand defenses look so good), is a very close-range, committed form of fighting. The only ways to defend against it properly are to maintain distance effectively and keep the reverse-grip user at bay, or to have the same or greater level of commitment and willingness to get in close. Most people can't do the latter very well.

Your FMA instructor was correct in his comments with regard to grips and ranges.

As for perceptions of the reverse grip being more intimidating, this goes back to the WWII training manuals that tried to categorize a knife wielder's skill based on his choice of grip. I think understanding the tactical advantages and disadvantages of the various grips is much more important than trying to determine how well or poorly trained the man is by the way he holds his knife. ANYONE with a knife and the commitment to use it is dangerous. The analysis of that situation is therefore pretty simple: 1) Keep yourself as safe as possible 2) Hurt him as badly as possible in ways that will stop his attack 3) Get the **** out of there.

One of the real dangers of reverse-grip attacks is that you often don't see the weapon. This type of surprise attack is also possible with standard grip. The key to surviving such an attack is to be aware of a person's hands at all times and be ready to attack HIM if he moves on you. Once he's in motion with a knife at close range, blocks and purely defensive actions just delay the inevitable.

I hope this helps.

Stay safe,
judge

Post by judge »

Great instructional column.
In my opinion, one of the greatest merits of reverse grip is teaching the mechanics of improvised weapons. Take Keating´s Draw Point 1 instructional video (reverse grip, primarily stabbing) and a Kubotan, sturdy pen, Mini Maglite, Bic lighter etc, and try it out.
Secondarily, it all flows, reverse to forward and back. Take a standard grip stick and use the butt/punyo, as mentioned, and you got reverse grip. Take reverse grip and use the butt/punyo, and you got forward grip. Train all angles reverse and forward, slash and stab, and you´ll be prepared (more or less).
By the way, angle no 2. (left upper to right lower corner) reverse grip slash feels extremely uncomfortable and awkward for me, does anyone have any training tips for that?
I´ll also second the take on Applegate ("reverse grip are amateurs", more or less). Reverse grip is still A KNIFE, so back off if you can. And while speaking of Applegate, he showed (in Kill or Get Killed, as far as I remember) the reverse grip walking past and backstabbing attack that was mentioned. Vicious.
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear Judge:

The angle 2 reverse grip cut will always feel uncomfortable--we're just not built to move that way. That brings up an important point: Good training programs start with instinct and build on it with natural movements. In my MBC program, if something doesn't feel right, it probably isn't.

In the case of the #2 cut, accept that your movement will work best on a horizontal left-to-right plane rather than a downward diagonal. Also, it will feel and work best at lower levels (shoulders and below) than higher levels.

A training tip: To really develop your reverse-grip lines, grab an eskrima stick or baton in reverse grip and practice them that way. The added length and weight will help develop strength and flexibility in your wrist and shoulder. Be careful, however, because it's easy to sprain or overextend the rotation of your shoulder. Go slowly at first and build speed and power gradually. Once you're in the groove, pick up your knife and give it a try. You'll find that movements with the knife will flow much better.

Stay safe,

mike j